Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

The_Rev

Almost put this in the weekends football thread, but I think it deserves one of its own. The Manchester United player it is actually okay to like is doing quite well for himself it seems. I think it was fairly obvious he was one of the senior players in his latter years at United and that he spent quite a bit of time under Fergie's wing and he did have a couple of years in charge of Man Utd reserves until he left to take a full time job at his old club Molde this year.

He has only gone and won the bloody league at the first attempt, hasnt he? Molde's first ever league title in their centenary year. I dont pretend to know enough about Norwegian football to know how he did it, I hear Molde are relatively well off but I dont think they bought the title. I didnt hear anything about a glut of Manchester United's finest youth team players coming over on loan either, but even if they did it is still quite an achievement.

Fair play to Ole, I wonder how long it will be before he gets a big job in England?

When he took over they nearly got relegated last season.

I think unlike Keane and Bruce etc he stayed around at reserve and youth level and learned from Fergie and this could pay off in the long run

Assuming Molde aren't the biggest club in Norway, then I'm impressed.

Nah, that is Rosenborg, who have won something stupid like 15 of the past 20 titles. Molde had never won the league before this weekend.

Does he still look 14 ?

Yep. The stresses of management have aged him terribly. :lol:

Assuming Molde aren't the biggest club in Norway, then I'm impressed.

Not by any means. As Nays has said they've never won the league before. They were the perennial runners-up of the 90s but have struggled more recently, flirting with relegation as late as last year. They are bankrolled by one of the richest men i Norway though, and with the appointment of Solskjær he's been willing to spend a bit. Not that they bought the title by any means but it helps.

One of the players they spent some cash on happens to be my step brother (yey me!). My dad has been up there to watch the team in training and got to talk to Solskjær a little bit. He was very, very impressed. The whole set-up, he said, is extremely professional and they are very focused on details in training. Solskjær, according to my dad, came across as not only the nicest guy you'll ever meet but also very, very knowledgable and thorough. That's what made him so succesful as a player too, that he is extremely intellegent and thorough in his approach to the game.

What's also worth mentioning is how honest and respectful he is in his approach to handling the media. He never blames anyone, be it the ref or the opposition, if they lose and he never has a bad word to say about anyone. Just thoroughly likeable and open.

He can certainly go very far as a manager. My only concern is that he might be a bit too "nice". It seems to me that you have to have a little bit of bastard-ness about you to become a world class manager. I have not seen that in Solskjær yet. But to follow the work he's done at Molde so far has been a pleasure, even if it happened somewhat at the expense of my local side who also had title ambitions this year.

Solskjaer never seemed the most natural leader player on the pitch and was surprised about 10 years ago when Fergie named 3 players that would go into management being Keane, Neville and Solskjaer.

Shows he was right about that

My only concern is that he might be a bit too "nice". It seems to me that you have to have a little bit of bastard-ness about you to become a world class manager.

think all United players have that so he be ok ;)

He's the best example of Ferguson's acumen in buying obscure players. I always liked him because he wore his heart on his sleeve. It's like he couldn't believe his luck. Fair play to him as a manager.

Possibly my favorite player ever, and my avatar. SAF has said before that he used to study games from the bench and understood the game better than most. Which is probably why he'd score whenever he'd come on. Best finisher the prem has ever seen imo. Growing up playing striker, he was the one I used to emulate. Model pro too, and I'd love to see him be SAF's successor. Probably my dream come true as United was the team I grew up supporting *prepares flameshield*.

/fanboyrant

Â