Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrov was poor against Everton and his goal kinda saved him. But our midfield was eaten alive by Everton, they played rings around us. I dont know what the answer is because we dont really have anyone that can replace Petrov in the squad, unless we give Clark a run out in DM and give Dunne the captaincy. Clark will offer more drive and energy, he will also cover more ground.

Petrov was poor against Everton and his goal kinda saved him. But our midfield was eaten alive by Everton, they played rings around us. I dont know what the answer is because we dont really have anyone that can replace Petrov in the squad, unless we give Clark a run out in DM and give Dunne the captaincy. Clark will offer more drive and energy, he will also cover more ground.

I thought you wanted to give Clark the captaincy.

I was wrong, as I judged players on their attitudes of last season.Yet Dunne so far this season..His attitude(and performances)have been top drawer and whilst in the form he is in, if he was captain I think it would rub off well on the rest of the team.

I was wrong, as I judged players on their attitudes of last season.Yet Dunne so far this season..His attitude(and performances)have been top drawer and whilst in the form he is in, if he was captain I think it would rub off well on the rest of the team.

Fair enough.

I would love to see a CM of

------------ Clark ------------

------------------ Delph -----

----- SI ----------------------

given a chance in a proper game.

Not sure as I agree about that midfield.

Rarely have any of the above players turned in a performance that would justify picking them ahead of Petrov or Bannan.

I think you'd soon see our midfield fall apart if we took Petrov out of it.

I think Bannan and Delph would work well with a combative midfielder in there too. I just think all these players need a midfielder that does the nitty gritty stuff and the dirty work in the team. Petrov is too slow and cant cover the ground, so it forces other players to track back all the time and we lose our balance. With a combative midfielder the rest of team could hold its shape a bit better. We also have the problem that Petrov tends to offer the negative pass to our defenders etc, which sometimes forces the opossition front players to close the ball down, in turn forcing our defensive players to quickly just lob it forward.. Whereas if Petrov made more positive passing, it would encourage forward movement and passing within the team, with the opossition having to peg back.

Only if you want to get annihilated.

I think Bannan and Delph would work well with a combative midfielder in there too. I just think all these players need a midfielder that does the nitty gritty stuff and the dirty work in the team. Petrov is too slow and cant cover the ground, so it forces other players to track back all the time and we lose our balance. With a combative midfielder the rest of team could hold its shape a bit better.

Completely agree. I would have loved us to bring in Mulumbu over the summer but we obviously didn't. I believe Clark could do this, in the way that Phil Jones did for Blackburn, and his inclusion would also replace Heskey's aerial presence in both defence and attack.

I also think that Herd could potentially do this and also provide aerial cover. His performance against Wolves shows how strong he is and how much energy he has.

The biggest difference with Everton at the weekend, IMO, was their energy in CM. Petrov just doesn't have this and hasn't since he has been at VP.

I think Bannan and Delph would work well with a combative midfielder in there too. I just think all these players need a midfielder that does the nitty gritty stuff and the dirty work in the team. Petrov is too slow and cant cover the ground, so it forces other players to track back all the time and we lose our balance. With a combative midfielder the rest of team could hold its shape a bit better.

Completely agree. I would have loved us to bring in Mulumbu over the summer but we obviously didn't. I believe Clark could do this, in the way that Phil Jones did for Blackburn, and his inclusion would also replace Heskey's aerial presence in both defence and attack.

I also think that Herd could potentially do this and also provide aerial cover. His performance against Wolves shows how strong he is and how much energy he has.

The biggest difference with Everton at the weekend, IMO, was their energy in CM. Petrov just doesn't have this and hasn't since he has been at VP.

You're possibly right about Clark and I can see that he has the potential to develop into a midfielder the same way that Gareth Barry did. Ultimately, we don't know if McLeish or anyone else at the Club has this in mind for him, but if they did I would suggest that he would have to line up alongside Petrov for the foreseeable future rather than Delph. The latter always talks about the way Petrov helps him through games and how much he relies on the elder player's presence and guidance - Clark would require the same, if not more.

Without it, we would be out-muscled to an even larger degree than we were at times on Saturday. We simply can't have an entire midfield of young players learning as they go.

too small, too lightweight.

fellaini bossed midfield on saturday only because of sharp elbows, height and strength.

It would be very interesting to see Fellaini lining up for Villa in the role Heskey currently plays.

The only downside to Clark, is that he can linger onto the ball for too long when in possession..He needs to be coached to read the pass he is going to make before he receives the ball(kinda like Makoun).. His defensive cover and reading the game defensively is very good..He is strong and good in the tackle.My worry would just be him losing possession against a decent side in a dangerous area...So if they could work on his vision for the pass/release of the ball quicker and more accurate, he would be a complete player in the DM role...And all this, I feel is easily workable in training.

Besides his superb strike, he was woeful. But then again, most of the side was.

You could see what that goal meant to him though, and it may have done him the world of good.

Woeful is a bizarre word to use to describe a side that battled its way to a 2-2 draw at Goodison.

Not really, since thats what they were, especailly first half. Lipstick on pig and all that :winkold:

Battled their way back in it during the second half, but Everton fans will be cursing their luck, since they had the better chances and played with more purpose.

Only people who did well was Dunne, Gabby and Given. But yes, facts can be a little bizzarre :wave:

In the BBC team of the week:

The driving force behind much of Villa's exploits at Goodison Park. He is starting to show the kind of performances this season that gained him a reputation as one of the best midfield players around. If he keeps playing like that, we can start talking about him in the same way again.

Â