Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrov was poor against Everton and his goal kinda saved him. But our midfield was eaten alive by Everton, they played rings around us. I dont know what the answer is because we dont really have anyone that can replace Petrov in the squad, unless we give Clark a run out in DM and give Dunne the captaincy. Clark will offer more drive and energy, he will also cover more ground.

I thought you wanted to give Clark the captaincy.

I was wrong, as I judged players on their attitudes of last season.Yet Dunne so far this season..His attitude(and performances)have been top drawer and whilst in the form he is in, if he was captain I think it would rub off well on the rest of the team.

Ah, but did you not want Dunne shipped out because of his attitude to GH last year?? :?

He is starting to show the kind of performances this season that gained him a reputation as one of the best midfield players around

Laughable. Mind you, it aint surprising coming from Garth Crooks

Sometimes I wonder what kind of drugs Garth Crooks is on.

Its such a shame because of what he did at the Villa, he should be seen in the same light as the likes of Dalglish at the Pity City or Charlton at Man U - but I seriously dislike Mortimer. He comes across as the most bitter, self opinionated, arrogant tonsil ever.

No matter what goes on at Man U , whether they ask him about dud signings like Bartez, selling stars like Ronaldo or whatever, Bobby Charlton always praises the club and the manager.

Unfortunately, Mortimer is the opposite, and always has been.

I really dislike the bloke, which, as I said, is such a shame.

Its such a shame because of what he did at the Villa, he should be seen in the same light as the likes of Dalglish at the Pity City or Charlton at Man U - but I seriously dislike Mortimer. He comes across as the most bitter, self opinionated, arrogant tonsil ever.

No matter what goes on at Man U , whether they ask him about dud signings like Bartez, selling stars like Ronaldo or whatever, Bobby Charlton always praises the club and the manager.

You have obviously never met or spoken to him then?

If you had, you would not hold that opinion, because he is the complete opposite to which you portray him 8)

Petrov was poor against Everton and his goal kinda saved him. But our midfield was eaten alive by Everton, they played rings around us. I dont know what the answer is because we dont really have anyone that can replace Petrov in the squad, unless we give Clark a run out in DM and give Dunne the captaincy. Clark will offer more drive and energy, he will also cover more ground.

I thought you wanted to give Clark the captaincy.

I was wrong, as I judged players on their attitudes of last season.Yet Dunne so far this season..His attitude(and performances)have been top drawer and whilst in the form he is in, if he was captain I think it would rub off well on the rest of the team.

Ah, but did you not want Dunne shipped out because of his attitude to GH last year?? :?

Not just for his attitude towards Houllier but more for the damage he was doing in the dressing room and club, especially amongst our younger players....He is paid to represent and play for the club..If Houllier and Duverne's training was too difficult for him, maybe he approached it all wrong. I think he tried to get a posse to go against the system, trying to draw up other players to go against the ethos Houllier was trying to instill..Or to go behind Houllier's back slagging him off to Lerner and board..Maybe a quiet one on one with Houllier would have been more respectful?

I just think Houllier was up against it from the start. Some players were not happy MON walked, others not happy K'Mac wasnt given the job. Moyes could have taken over at that point and some players would still have been annoyed.

Dunne and others did our club no favours last season, so I will stand by what I said..However he is playing well for now and thats all that matters for the club.

If Houllier and Duverne's training was too difficult for him, maybe he approached it all wrong. I think he tried to get a posse to go against the system, trying to draw up other players to go against the ethos Houllier was trying to instill..Or to go behind Houllier's back slagging him off to Lerner and board..

I have plenty of criticisms of Dunne and feel he is very lucky to still be at the Club after last season's performances, but these kind of conspiracy theories are pure hokum.

The real reason that Dunne and his other defenders had such issues with Houllier last season was not so much down to the fitness regime (though I will acknowledge that Dunne was said to have been one of those that felt the physicality of certain sessions was too extreme for mid-season) but the total lack of a defensive plan that would've addressed the ongoing confusion between zonal and man-marking systems that continued to plague us throughout the season. Whatever I may think of Dunne as a person, he knows his business as a defender so I can only imagine how frustrating it must've been for the Club's defensive players to labour under such an inept approach to defending by the manager and his coaches when the problems going unaddressed were so glaringly obvious.

Comparatively, McLeish's pragmatism - and, dare I say it, professionalism - have clearly been adopted by the players who once again look like a cohesive unit at the back.

But, to bring this back on to the topic at hand, Petrov remains the only choice as Club captain and his steadying influence during good times and bad is something that Dunne has never been especially reknowned for.

You have obviously never met or spoken to him then?

If you had, you would not hold that opinion, because he is the complete opposite to which you portray him 8)

Bobby Charlton is a paid up club ambassador. He has to say good things. Mind you, it is somewhat easier to be positive when you are the biggest club in the world and winning titles/trophies left, right and centre.

Dennis is a fan, and no more now, and speaks his mind. He doesn't think Petrov is good enough for Villa and there are a fair few that agree with him. There are a fair few that don't mind.

What frustrates me about this site is that those that do rate Petrov are never prepared to have a discussion as to why they do, what they believe he brings, what sort of formation suits him best and what are his weaknesses (afterall every player - even Messi - has their weaknesses). And they are very keen to brand those that don't as Petrov "haters". I doubt whether any of us hate any of our players, although maybe Heskey and Warnock might bring about that level of anomosity with a few! But we all have our views as to what would make us a better team and want to discuss those.

I am not saying I am a fan of Petrov - all I am saying is an ex-captain of our football club shoulld not be slagging off our current captain - simple.

As for Petrov, you may not like - but he was bought by O'Neil - he played him, bought apparent replacements and Petrov fought off that competition.

O'Neil left and McDonald took over - and he played Petrov

McDonald left and Houllier took over, he played Petrov, in January bought an apparent replacement in Makoun, and quite quickly, dropped Makoun and played Petrov.

He then left and McLeish took over, and after a summer of saying "he will evaluate the squad" - continues to play Petrov ahead of Bannan, Ireland etc...

And - for Bulgaria, he is about to break the appearance record, having played for a number of managers - all of which have picked him ahead of everyone else.

So, forgive me - if he is so crap - why the above ? - please answer :?

And as for Mortimer - I am eternally grateful for the joy he brought to our football club for the decade give or take he was associated - but I think when he has attained 103 caps for his country, he may have the right to criticise a player who has

I think Petrov is a good player and so far this season he has been our best midfielder by far.

Houlliers biggest mistake was leaving him out and its no coinsidence that when Petrov plays we actually get better results than when he is not in the team.

I am not saying I am a fan of Petrov - all I am saying is an ex-captain of our football club shoulld not be slagging off our current captain - simple.

As for Petrov, you may not like - but he was bought by O'Neil - he played him, bought apparent replacements and Petrov fought off that competition.

O'Neil left and McDonald took over - and he played Petrov

McDonald left and Houllier took over, he played Petrov, in January bought an apparent replacement in Makoun, and quite quickly, dropped Makoun and played Petrov.

He then left and McLeish took over, and after a summer of saying "he will evaluate the squad" - continues to play Petrov ahead of Bannan, Ireland etc...

And - for Bulgaria, he is about to break the appearance record, having played for a number of managers - all of which have picked him ahead of everyone else.

And as for Mortimer - I am eternally grateful for the joy he brought to our football club for the decade give or take he was associated - but I think when he has attained 103 caps for his country, he may have the right to criticise a player who has

A GREAT POST!

These are the facts and hence are contrary to the opinions of people here who do not rate Petrov.

Petrov is decent. There is better but he's always been decent and does a good enough job for the team.

I'd put Petrov (holding), Jenas and then Delph or Bannan in the team on a regular basis myself. Gabby, N'Zogbia, Bent all up top. Also gives us flexibility as can be basic 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation or 4-4-2 with Bannan/Delph playing from the left but more central with N'Zogbia from the right depending on how the game is going.

Typical response. I don't think I have ever said he is crap. The guy has a great record - Celtic, Villa and Bulgaria - and is clearly a talented footballer. It is just my view, and certain others, that he is currently our (or one of our) weakest links. This is not necessarily because of his footballing ability but more for me because of his lack of energy. I think this is particularly highlighted by the fact that he is playing in the CM - the area of the park that demands the most athleticism and strongest engine, particularly playing a two as we do.

It is never as black and white as some make out - there is quite a bit in between crap and fantastic!

What frustrates me about this site is that those that do rate Petrov are never prepared to have a discussion as to why they do, what they believe he brings, what sort of formation suits him best and what are his weaknesses (afterall every player - even Messi - has their weaknesses). And they are very keen to brand those that don't as Petrov "haters". I doubt whether any of us hate any of our players, although maybe Heskey and Warnock might bring about that level of anomosity with a few! But we all have our views as to what would make us a better team and want to discuss those.

And in equal measure it's just as infuriating that we get the same old nonsense about Petrov tiring, passing backwards, never shooting, how bad he shoots when he does shoot, crap captain, to blame for the global economic meltdown, nailing Jesus to the cross and flying a plane into the twin towers not to mention the sometime whispered accusations that he's a secret member of Al Quaida and the Real IRA.

And in equal measure it's just as infuriating that we get the same old nonsense about Petrov tiring, passing backwards, never shooting, how bad he shoots when he does shoot, crap captain, to blame for the global economic meltdown, nailing Jesus to the cross and flying a plane into the twin towers not to mention the sometime whispered accusations that he's a secret member of Al Quaida and the Real IRA.

:lol: Maybe a little exaggerated, but this. :-P

What frustrates me about this site is that those that do rate Petrov are never prepared to have a discussion as to why they do, what they believe he brings.

I, and others, have countless times but people seem to ignore it so whatever.

I couldnt believe he scored that goal...80% of his efforts are not just bad, they're terrible. He's an average PL CM, always has been.

Â