Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What frustrates me about this site is that those that do rate Petrov are never prepared to have a discussion as to why they do, what they believe he brings.

I, and others, have countless times but people seem to ignore it so whatever.

I have seen at least 5 or 6 posters give Barry's Boots intelligent, lengthy, well written explanations as to why Petrov is an excellent player. Nobody bothers anymore because whatever they write, "he just passes sideways and tires after 60 minutes".

Remarkable that MON, Houllier and McLeish didn't/haven't noticed how poor he is. We really need to employ managers with at least some form of knowledge about what makes a good footballer.

What frustrates me about this site is that those that do rate Petrov are never prepared to have a discussion as to why they do, what they believe he brings, what sort of formation suits him best and what are his weaknesses (afterall every player - even Messi - has their weaknesses). And they are very keen to brand those that don't as Petrov "haters". I doubt whether any of us hate any of our players, although maybe Heskey and Warnock might bring about that level of anomosity with a few! But we all have our views as to what would make us a better team and want to discuss those.

I'm prepared and always have been prepared to have a discussion on why I rate him.

First of all those who don't rate Petrov aren't haters but there are still posters here who have an irrational hatred of the man. That bugs me. I get that people have different opinion on players and that is all fine.

For me his qualities are his reading of the game which is invaluable when defending and he does have a knack of reading passes and he's also, and this is one area I think people underestimate him, a very good tackler. Now one thing that hinders him a bit here is that he is a bit on the slow side and he can get exposed by that. That's why I think a midfield of him, Delph (full of energy) and an attacking midfielder is the best way.

He also can produce some excellent passes and he does keep the ball moving and I agree with that sometimes, mainly when he plays deeper, he does tend to pass the ball too much to the centre backs and that stifles our play. This mainly becomes a problem when we're playing weaker sides at home and this does frustrate me.

I also agree that he plays best in a three man midfield which has been working well recently (where Heskey has mainly played as an attacking midfielder). In a two man midfield he does get exposed because of his lack of energy but then again I think in most games you need to play three players in midfield.

As a captain I think he's the right man given the respect he's got amongst the younger players and the whole team (as seen when he scored).

What frustrates me about this site is that those that do rate Petrov are never prepared to have a discussion as to why they do, what they believe he brings, what sort of formation suits him best and what are his weaknesses (afterall every player - even Messi - has their weaknesses). And they are very keen to brand those that don't as Petrov "haters". I doubt whether any of us hate any of our players, although maybe Heskey and Warnock might bring about that level of anomosity with a few! But we all have our views as to what would make us a better team and want to discuss those.

I'm prepared and always have been prepared to have a discussion on why I rate him.

First of all those who don't rate Petrov aren't haters but there are still posters here who have an irrational hatred of the man. That bugs me. I get that people have different opinion on players and that is all fine.

For me his qualities are his reading of the game which is invaluable when defending and he does have a knack of reading passes and he's also, and this is one area I think people underestimate him, a very good tackler. Now one thing that hinders him a bit here is that he is a bit on the slow side and he can get exposed by that. That's why I think a midfield of him, Delph (full of energy) and an attacking midfielder is the best way.

He also can produce some excellent passes and he does keep the ball moving and I agree with that sometimes, mainly when he plays deeper, he does tend to pass the ball too much to the centre backs and that stifles our play. This mainly becomes a problem when we're playing weaker sides at home and this does frustrate me.

I also agree that he plays best in a three man midfield which has been working well recently (where Heskey has mainly played as an attacking midfielder). In a two man midfield he does get exposed because of his lack of energy but then again I think in most games you need to play three players in midfield.

As a captain I think he's the right man given the respect he's got amongst the younger players and the whole team (as seen when he scored).

I hope you read this, BB. And some others that also claims that we who defends Petrov never puts up a good argument. It's not the first time something like this has been written in this thread and others, but now it's highlighted.

A good post in my view, and the only minor objection I have is that I think that his backwards and sideways passing is a little exaggerated. Or rather, I'd say that he passes the ball forward a lot more than people give him credit for. But then again, you didn't say that he doesn't.

A good post in my view, and the only minor objection I have is that I think that his backwards and sideways passing is a little exaggerated. Or rather, I'd say that he passes the ball forward a lot more than people give him credit for. But then again, you didn't say that he doesn't.

I think he certainly goes backwards on occasion where he could maybe have tried something more creative and forward thinking. But the flip side of this is that he rarely gives the ball away, which is just so important. He'll keep it waiting for a better opportunity to attack.

I think he certainly goes backwards on occasion where he could maybe have tried something more creative and forward thinking. But the flip side of this is that he rarely gives the ball away, which is just so important. He'll keep it waiting for a better opportunity to attack.

Agreed.

It was great to see him score at the weekend, personally though I would prefer him to have scored a goal where he got beyond the striker or at least into the box as this could give him the confidence to get more. Although I'm probably at least 4 years too late with these thoughts.

Take his goal away and he was poor at the weekend.and he does tire, ask John Terry :angry:

But i also think its because the balance in Midfield has been wrong now, for a few seasons, which possibly leaves Petrov open the stick he gets (unfairly). In a more balanced midfield he will probably be able to conserve his energy levels throughout a game a little better. It was Martin O'Neil who made him a sitting midfield player, and if he had the energy to play there, then why did he not play there before?

Our midfield options have been that poor since, that he has been stuck there, which points to the good job he has done in that position.

Its no coincidence that Mcleish is getting him a little more forward now, and the added abilities of a (hopefully) hungry Jenas, will balance things out.

I still don't think he should be captain.

However, as I've said previously, I still think he has a big part to play for us. I just don't think he should be a nailed on 90 minute every week player.

I'm not a great fan of goalies being captains. Given may be respected, but I just can't see him bellowing out instruction and rallying the team on. That said, I don't see Petrov doing it too often.

As things stand I'd give it to Dunne, someone who appears to be giving his all for the cause at the moment.

I'm of the school of thought that captains should be defenders or midfielders. Never comfortable seeing a GK or a striker take the armband.

GKs make the best captains imo. They can see all of their outfield players and can see whats happening in front of them, so should be in the best position to bark out orders.

I agree that strikers shouldnt be captains though. Not unless its a special case like Bryan Robson who would get the armband through their sheer presence on the pitch

Â