Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

He needs to keep away from taking corners!

What are you smoking man? His corners were far more effective than N'Zogbia's today.

All of our corners today weren't great. Petrov can't cross a ball. Zog's were no better to be fair. It really pisses me off that we can't get the ball in to the heart of the penalty area on a consistent basis. It's a free chance to cause problems and we constantly screw it up.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good performance from Stan though. Seems to be getting forward more than in previous seasons.

Yes another good performance from Stan. Delph wasn't as good today but he wasn't helped by the early yellow card.

Stan was better than normal but I believe we have other players that could perform better in that role. Delph is being ruined by McLeish - he is not a defensive midfielder. He needs an "enforcer" beside him and a no. 10 in front of him to allow him to play his game. Asking him to play the defensive role in a 2 man CM with Stan as the more attacking of the two is asking him to fail!

We were lucky today that Wolves came with a 4-4-2. If they had played a three as they did last year I think they would have beat us comfortably.

Great vision in the first half. Bent 1 on 1 with the keeper, 18 yards out .......but shoot instead because he always scores those venomous drives. :|

I halfly agree on that, but in his defence he'd already made up his mind to shoot when the defender slipped and it's not that easy to change your mind and get the pass right in such a situation. But probably could've done better there. That would've given us a great chance to score. Shame.

Interesting quotes from Petrov. The club and team captain does not seem entirely pleased with the current situation.

"Luke has been a big player for us and we have seen a lot of big players going away from the club.

"But that's the way it goes. We wish him all the best and hope he does well for QPR.

"It would be nice if we could bring some more bodies. It seems like everyone is strengthening their teams.

Interesting quotes from Petrov. The club and team captain does not seem entirely pleased with the current situation.

"Luke has been a big player for us and we have seen a lot of big players going away from the club.

"But that's the way it goes. We wish him all the best and hope he does well for QPR.

"It would be nice if we could bring some more bodies. It seems like everyone is strengthening their teams.

Must say I agree with this! (Although it is probably a good time to sell Young all things considered.)

For the remaining players, the changing rooms must be starting to feel a bit empty just at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...
From a couple of weeks ago...

Great vision in the first half. Bent 1 on 1 with the keeper, 18 yards out .......but shoot instead because he always scores those venomous drives. :|

These things always come back to bite you in the end. :P

Sometimes miracles happen. :winkold:

His shooting is still horrific and he shouldn't regularly shoot!

I was in shock when he scored that. I'm so used to idly watching said efforts blaze high and wid

more like dragged wide instead of high :P.

but fair play was a good goal and problem is he can score goals but just never has for us. Fact he scored 50 more goals for Celtic proves it and i know SPL isnt great but most were long range drives which he rarely executes properly for Villa

Was shocked to see he had scored that goal also- as he attempted to take the strike, i was already cursing saying what a prick he was for not passing the ball forward as I felt he had no chance of scoring!

I'd be surprised if he gets another 2 goals this season as his striking of a ball is woeful most of the time.

I think we have a serious problem in the centre and it is largely why we can't control games.

We have changed personnel, but the problem persists.Petrov is not good enough for us right now, but he is still the best we have at going anywhere near to contolling things....we simply don't have the personnel.

Whether Jenas can do anything , we will see.

The full backs don't fill me with confidence either, Warnock not for me, Hutton havn't seen enough, Beye ineffective, Young went off the boil, Cuellar was not bad defensively but offered little offensively.

I don't think much has changed.

just another thought.....The form Young & Downing are showing for their new clubs with better players around them just illustrates how poor the players around them were at Villa for them to have played the way they did for us ( which was ok, but nothing special)..... blimey we had the England forward line when they were with us and still managed sweet fa.

The engine room at Villa is woeful and has been for a while now.

ps So many players come and go and nothing really changes in terms of team development..... transfer money gets won and lost and the same old same old just rolls along.

I agree TRO that our engine room is poor.

For me it has to be a 3 man CM as we haven't got the resources to play a 2 man CM. At the minute I would want to see:

------------ Petrov ------------

----------------- Delph --------

---------- SI -------------------

With the back up being:

------------- Clark ------------- Although I think Herd could also do a job in there.

---------------- Bannan --------

------- Gardner ----------------

McLeish's efforts to push Stan further forward and leave Delph as the DCM do not work for either of them IMO.

I am not really sure where Jenas fits in! I see him as a two man CM player (a box to box type) but I don't think any of our established CM'ers - Stan, Delph, Bannan or SI - could play in a 2 man CM with him. He could possibly play where I have Delph/Bannan but I think we would lose a playmaker.

Besides his superb strike, he was woeful. But then again, most of the side was.

You could see what that goal meant to him though, and it may have done him the world of good.

Woeful is a bizarre word to use to describe a side that battled its way to a 2-2 draw at Goodison.

Â