Gym Routine

olboydave

Right Steve, another question for you!

I just got that protein you recommended delivered.

It says use 25G worth in a glass of water or milk,seeing as I don't have scales, what does that generally work out in table spoons from your experience?

I tell you what we need on here. A MyProtein whey taste guide. So many flavours to choose from. I got the salted caramel one recently which is really good but at the opposite end of the scale is the lemon cheesecake flavour which was so bad I gave it away.

On the protein powder, if you are up for spending a bit more and can find Cellucor's products online they are really good taste wise.

Right Steve, another question for you!

I just got that protein you recommended delivered.

It says use 25G worth in a glass of water or milk,seeing as I don't have scales, what does that generally work out in table spoons from your experience?

There should be a scoop in there. Have a dig, it's probably got buried.

That'll be 25 or 30g (should say on the bottom).

Don't worry about the amount of water. Just use as much as you want. I normally have 2 scoops in about a pint of water.

As for taste, I prefer the strawberry cream. Nice enough to have on it's own, but also works well to sweeten up a bowl of oats without resorting to sugar.

• Like 1

I have always got the 5kg unflavored pouches. There is over a tenner difference between that and the flavored. I usually have a scoop and a half a couple of times a day, approx 30g of protein each time, and mix it in a shaker with about a pint of water and a little bit of blackcurrant squash. It is fine and goes down really smooth. I've often even had it on its own with just water and it is no problem and perfectly drinkable.

I normally get the vanilla flavour and its lovely.  Tested the chocolate peanut butter flavour and it was horrible.

See I really liked the chocolate peanut butter, especially mixed with oats. I have heard people say though that the nut flavouring they use doesn't work for some so its probably best to avoid any of the nut based flavours.

Saying that though, maple pecan was nasty, so maybe my palate is just all over the gaff.

Thanks again chaps, much appreciated. I had no idea there was a spoon in my pack so I'll have a look later :D

You weren't wrong about the pain being worse the second day, can't put my arm straight at all today :lol:

Suffice to say, I didn't go to the gym this morning. Think I'll leave it til Monday, recover,  and do lighter weights :thumb:

• Like 2

I once spent a day at work where everytime I walked anywhere, I had to take a pen with me and pretend I was playing with it, because I looked weird walking around with my arms bent up towards my chest just doing nothing!

• Like 1

I have the Toffee one which is nice.

I think I really need to do some reading up on nutrition, I'm doing weights 3 times a week (stronglifts 5x5), football training once a week (and a game once a week but i'm in goal so not sure how much that counts), as well as a swimming session every other week but I'm not losing any weight.  Personally though I don't really think my diet is that bad but there has to be a reason I'm not losing this belly of mine!

you can do all the exercising you want, but if you're not eating right you won't lose weight.

My advice would be to download MyFitnessPal and log everything you're eating. And I mean everything. It has a barcode scanner so you can get the exact food you're eating. Get some scales and weigh everything.

You'd be surprised at some of the assumptions you make. I mentioned in this thread a while back, but my breakfast was almost 400 calories more than I thought it was purely because I used the nutrition info from the wrong porridge and guessed at how much I was having.

If you're doing that much exercise and not losing weight, then you must be eating too many calories. The app will show you where and you should be able to cut down, or substitute in a lighter meal/food

Edited by Stevo985

I measure everything these days and input it into MyFitnessPal.  Just started doing stronglifts 5x5.  What's everyones thoughts on it?

Excellent.

I've never done that exact programme, but I've done a variation on it (Madcow 5x5) so the same principles.

If you're looking to increase strength then you can't go wrong.

2 years ago I did that programme and my PBs all came during that time.

Personally though I don't really think my diet is that bad but there has to be a reason I'm not losing this belly of mine!

My best piece of advice in terms of your diet would be to keep things simple. Choose food that you like and also eat meals that don't take too long to prepare. I have found the quickest way to go off the rails is to be following a diet and eating things you don't really like or things that are taking me 10 times as long to prepare and cook as they are to eat.

As an idea pretty much six days a week I will eat something along the lines of the following. Protein shake and a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast, protein shake and some egg whites, breast of chicken or tuna sandwich on wholemeal bread for lunch and for my dinner I will have some chicken breasts with some broccoli, green beans or a few new potatoes and throw a pepper sauce on it for taste or I will have a couple of tins of tuna with a bag of fresh salad and some lemon juice. I will also have another protein shake of an evening. Pretty much any fruit you want to snack on but I personally love bananas. That gives me around 200g of protein a day, I am easily getting my 5 a day and I am also getting a decent amount of fibre into my diet. It is all done by eating simple foods and eating meals that are easy to prepare.

I always have one day off a week where I eat and drink what I like and being honest depending what I am up to that will some times go over into two days. I go on holiday 3 or 4 times a year where I again eat and drink what I like but will keep up the exercise as best I can by running and swimming. I will also let myself go over Christmas and this year put on around 10lb. The above way of keeping things simple though is pretty much my staple way of eating through out the year. Being 41 years old and pretty much into my fitness since I was in my teens I have tried every fad under the sun but I have found just keeping things simple is the best way to go. Despite what some will tell you and what you will read keeping fit and healthy isn't rocket science.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I've started using BSN Cellmass 2.0 post workout to give my recovery a bit of a helping hand. Its a good combination of creatine, glutamine and other amino acids, also has a decent amount of protein in it also. If you can find it cheap (I got it from bodybuilding.com) then its worth a go if you want to boost your recovery and give your body what it needs.

What supplements are you guys using?

I once spent a day at work where everytime I walked anywhere, I had to take a pen with me and pretend I was playing with it, because I looked weird walking around with my arms bent up towards my chest just doing nothing!

I try to stay away from doing legs after wednesday as I need to be fairly flexible reaching and bending in fridges .....a few times I have been caught out and im like an old man for the day :D

• Like 1

Â