Gym Routine

olboydave

Thoughts on protein bars?  Anyone have any recommendations?

There was a study done by a magazine a good few years back (Cant remember the name of it unfortunately).  They went into great detail in a large experiment and found the best protein bar was actually a Snickers.

They are fine as long as you treat them for what they are, but they should not be used as a meal replacement if you are serious about your diet.

I don't know what they've based that study on Nigel. According to Snickers website each 52g bar has 27g of sugar and only 5g of protein which makes it about as nutritionally useful as licking clean a display shelf in Greggs.

Meal replacement is a misnomer for nutritional supplements, they are to supplement your meal intake so you hit your macros if you aren't able to do that with real food.

I don't really get the protein bar thing. Sure, they taste relatively nice but they're most often full of crap. I got a selection box of protein bars free from Myprotein around Christmas time and looking at the macros, they were mainly carbs (and sugar at that).

There's no doubting the convenience but is it much more convenient than a small, pre-prepared whole food meal out of some tupperware? As my mid-morning snack, I had some chicken thighs with advocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and peppers. Took me about 25 minutes to prepare and about 3 to eat! Loads more nutrients in that than a mass produced protein bar!

Edited by JB

I don't really get the protein bar thing. Sure, they taste relatively nice but they're most often full of crap. I got a selection box of protein bars free from Myprotein around Christmas time and looking at the macros, they were mainly carbs (and sugar at that).

There's no doubting the convenience but is it much more convenient than a small, pre-prepared whole food meal out of some tupperware? As my mid-morning snack, I had some chicken thighs with advocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and peppers. Took me about 25 minutes to prepare and about 3 to eat! Loads more nutrients in that than a mass produced protein bar!

I would like to get into that position eventually but right now I just dont have the time or inclination.

Form is way out on the bench today and I just can't seem to fix it ....walking away from it while I can I guess

First deadlift since the back took it handy 90kg felt grand could have done my max I'd say 115 but that can keep :D

Edited by Meath_Villan

I don't know what they've based that study on Nigel. According to Snickers website each 52g bar has 27g of sugar and only 5g of protein which makes it about as nutritionally useful as licking clean a display shelf in Greggs.

Meal replacement is a misnomer for nutritional supplements, they are to supplement your meal intake so you hit your macros if you aren't able to do that with real food.

I think what the study found was the misinformation on the labels of most of the 'protein' bars.  This was around 10 years ago, but a quick google search points that could still be the case.

Was stuck on 50 for ages on the bench now stuck in 60 ......aaggghhhhbh

Last time I got stuck on bench I ordered some 0.5kg plates and made the increments smaller. That worked for another 12.5kg or so and I've just taken delivery of some 0.25kg plates to try and overcome my latest plateau. I'm pretty sure the clips I use weigh more than 0.125kg so I don't know what my next move will be.

Was stuck on 50 for ages on the bench now stuck in 60 ......aaggghhhhbh

Try concentrating on your breathing more, real deep intake as you lower it, then explode.

Also try planting your feet firmly on the floor and giving yourself a solid 4 point contact.

Try for 1, no more.

• Like 1

I thought the general consensus was to use the Valsalva manoeuvre rather than inhaling for near max effort lifts? Like powerlifters do?

Also I've found that constantly trying to improve my technique is more effective than waiting for plateaus, although that does mean that when you hit one you don't have anywhere to go.

To add to Nigel's planted feet; squeeze the bar, push your shoulder blades together (or show your tits off) and keep your wrists straight.

• 2 weeks later...
Â