Gym Routine

olboydave

My trainer called me out yesterday in front of everyone for not working out the last few days. I have been feeling sickly for over a week and just thought I'd take a break. But I won't lie, calling me out didn't irk me, the new years resolution people kind of scoffing and acting like they've been working sooooooooooo hard for sooooooooo long compared to me did, in fact, irk me. So today I ran 2.75 miles before we even started the workout, let them get ahead in the workout, then...KILLED IT!!! They are still currently working out, I am typing this.  I am not competitive by nature, but when provoked, I WILL WIN!

*disclaimer* I am fully aware that I haven't actually won anything, and that I am very much still not feeling well so this probably did me more harm than good, but at least for now, it feels awesome! Also, one girl clearly has a really bad shoulder, and even though she rolled her eyes at me (which I genuinely can't stand), I can't help but want to fix her shoulder.

I also upped my skull crushers!!!

• Like 1

Squats are long gone. Belts pinch my back. Bench is the only original compound that I do. I could probably do the overhead but I don't see the point in what to me was probably the 'worst' of the original 5 lifts.

Obviously I don't know where/what your pain is but if it's preventing you doing dead lifts and squats, I'd hazard a guess at it being something to do with tight/immobile hips. It can cause pain in the leg/knee and lower back. Like I say, it's a guess but I'd recommend getting a full postural assessment or seeing a good sports physio as squatting or dead lifting are pretty essential movements. If I'm right, it may be relatively straightforward to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...

170kg x 4 for deads on Tuesday

155kg x 5 for squats on Saturday

This is still while cutting. Definitely going much better this year!

I'm happy.

Edited by Stevo985

I sent that to my trainer ^^^^ :)

For some reason he's really gone crazy with the arm routines. I'm and LMT!!! So every single day this week my job has been more difficult. Rhomboids and traps are killing as well as deltoids. It would be different if I felt buff, but I don't. I feel broken.

Running a lot again....so I suppose I'll take this next bit to the running thread.

I sent that to my trainer ^^^^ :)

For some reason he's really gone crazy with the arm routines. I'm and LMT!!! So every single day this week my job has been more difficult. Rhomboids and traps are killing as well as deltoids. It would be different if I felt buff, but I don't. I feel broken.

Running a lot again....so I suppose I'll take this next bit to the running thread.

I'm not sure what your goals are and I obviously don't know anything about the rest of your training program but if your trainer is favouring isolating your arms over training your lower body (or pretty much any other body part for that matter) then he's an idiot!

Depending on your level of experience, direct arm training isn't even necessary. You say you're not feeling 'buff', so I'll assume you're fairly inexperienced? In that case, you would be far better served getting good at compound movements like bench, dead lifts, pull/chin-ups where the muscles in your arms will act as synergists and grow in addition to/proportion with the other muscles in the upper body. Any remotely competent trainer should be able to tell you that.

I don't normally like criticising other trainers but it pisses me off when I hear about them getting away with fleecing people with such shitty training methods.

• Like 1

it has a lot to do with the scar tissue in my left shoulder. for the longest time I couldn't do much at all. I have improved and recently have been able to do more than I use to. I think he's upper it thus week to test my threshold. I still do plenty of other things in the routine, and until this week, arms haven't been a huge focus. I've been training for 11am months 5 days a week. took a month if, been back in it fully for two weeks. any suggestions are always welcome.

I was trying to keep my squat and deadlift at 100kg or above while trying to improve my overheads and bench but I couldn't get over 90 on the squat today and I struggled ....as in stars in eyes after last set

Why is improving your overheads and bench making you struggle with other exercises?

Probably just a bad day mate.

I was trying to keep my squat and deadlift at 100kg or above while trying to improve my overheads and bench but I couldn't get over 90 on the squat today and I struggled ....as in stars in eyes after last set  

that's why you lost to theunderstudy.

• Like 1

Anyone any experience with arm injuries? I know strains etc are common and my bi/tri feels fine its just sort of a light pain deeper in the upper arm when i do press sort of exercises , its not strong pain or anything you can just feel somethings not right and towards the end of your set that arm struggles while your other arm can finish the set. 

Anyone any experience with arm injuries? I know strains etc are common and my bi/tri feels fine its just sort of a light pain deeper in the upper arm when i do press sort of exercises , its not strong pain or anything you can just feel somethings not right and towards the end of your set that arm struggles while your other arm can finish the set.

Whilst I'm obviously not a physio or a doctor, I've come across similar symptoms in a lot of my reading and suffered from something like it myself before following corrective advice.

It sounds like a pretty common imbalance that a lot of lifters suffer from, that if not corrected can cause a lot of trouble further on down the road. Essentially, a lot of people get tight pectorals and weak upper back from too much pressing and not enough horizontal pulling, which has an adverse effect on the shoulder. The ratio between the two should at least balance out, up to as much as 2:1 in favour of the rowing movements. Joe DeFranco advises to train the chest like a power lifter (low volume) and back like a bodybuilder (high volume - more reps essentially). Since I've followed this advice, the problem has pretty much disappeared. I rarely go below 12 reps per set on rows. Google 'dan john batwings' for an awesome corrective exercise that helped me as well. High-rep face pulls and rear delt flies worked wonders, too.

I also sorted out my grip in bench press variations, which may have helped. The wide grip many people favour can exacerbate shoulder issues. I set myself up so that my upper arms are roughly 45 degrees from my torso and my forearms perpendicular to the bar.

It could well be your rotator cuff. I always warm up before any upper body pressing by doing some external and Cuban rotations.

Like I've said before though, I'm just some bloke on the internet so certainly don't take my word as gospel! Just thought I'd share my experience of a similar injury and how I sorted it out :).

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice JB, going to take some time off and i'll check out what you mentioned.

No worries mate. Forgot to mention that I stretched the pecs after almost every session and did a bit of thoracic spine mobility work which also helped. Hopefully your problem isn't severe enough that you'll need to do much more than balance out the pressing and rowing.

Â