Gym Routine

olboydave

I'm still not happy with my alternate workout and my recent back trouble means I have to hold off bringing the deadlift back into it. Arms and chest still hanging off me after Friday's workout though :-) Today was a struggle. A nice one though.

Cut started yesterday.

Feel good about the muscle I put on since September. Feel like I made more progress in terms of size than I did last year when I was bulking on MC5x5.

I think 5x5 is great for strength but maybe not so good for size (although obviously to an extent one relies on the other)

We'll see how it goes over the next few months. 4 months until my first beach holiday of the year (17 weeks) so hopefully I'll be in decent shape by then. I've loaded up on BCAAs and pre supps to hold onto more of the strength this time around than I did last year

It worked for me when I did it last year. I almost never failed at a lift. Only towards the end of my bulk did I start to plateau.

I made a lot of progress. But as I said in my post above, I'm not sure how great it is for size. Purely for strength and improving your maxes it was excellent, from my experience anyway

I got to lose some fat lbs, I'm 235lbs with prob 20lbs of body fat. Getting some elliptical work in and sorting my diet out and unfortunately making a massive cut in my lager intake.

Got to get ready for spring break!

What kind of jumps were you making weekly?

Example this is saying 150kg in week 4 which is fine but then expects me to lift 170kg in week 9. Adding 20kg in 5 weeks. Doesn't add up to me.

I was adding about 2.5kg a week. I just followed the programme exactly.

But I put 40kg on my squat in 3-4months.

Bear in mind I was a relative newbie at that point (been training seriously for about a year but most of that was cutting) so i'd have had newbie gains. I managed to go on about a 12 week slog without resetting the programme, I don't think you'd usually go that long without resetting.

But yeah, it worked for me. What I would say is when I came off MC and started cutting again those maxes disappeared quite quickly.

Time to hit the gym again after a lazy christmas period. Lost some weigth since I've had a break from the gym for 3 weeks now.
Thinking I'll try out the Sheiko System this time. 4 Weeks of bench prep(because I'm awfully weak at bench compared to other exercise) Then I'll hit the Candidate to Masters of Sports after a week of rest. Going to be intresting to see if it's as effective as people say it is.

A good programme for size, strength and athleticism is Joe DeFranco's WS4SB. Separates upper and lower body days with strength/max effort and hypertrophy/reps days for each.

Lats are on fire after last night's sesh! 8 sets of 3 weighted pull-ups followed by some upper body posterior chain assistance work.

Example this is saying 150kg in week 4 which is fine but then expects me to lift 170kg in week 9. Adding 20kg in 5 weeks. Doesn't add up to me.

I think you're right, that might be a bit unrealistic, it's not as though you're starting from a low base (i.e. you're hardly a newbie). 

Just did biceps today .....it shall be interesting later

How long did that take? Just dumb-bells? Sometimes I contemplate going for one or two isolations and then I think it's not worth it.

That's why I asked. It seemed a lot of isolation. I find they're hanging off me after concentration curls although I always do biceps at the very end of my workout.

I think you're right, that might be a bit unrealistic, it's not as though you're starting from a low base (i.e. you're hardly a newbie). 

It's not meant to be a programme that just runs and runs and you'll make gains every week forever.

You run it until you hit a plateau, then you reset with your new maxes and start again with a 4 week ramp up and then push beyond and make new maxes.

For a newbie he might run it for 14-16 weeks and never plateau. 

An experienced lifter might only get 6 or 7 weeks out of it before he has to reset.

Â