The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

• 9 months later...

There's a Berserk short film coming to Netflix in autumn. Won't be too excited, as it's CG, and the CG of the movies was by far the worst bit. 

A timely thread resurrection, just finished the excellent Castlevania series this week.  Currently working through a full Attack On Titan re-watch; been great to go back and pick up on some of the foreshadowing to all the chaos that went down in season 4, though I've got some concerns on how they wrap the whole thing up as apparently there's been some massive backlash to how the manga went out (not that I've read any of it myself, mind).  Anywho once I'm done on the AoT marathon, I can go back to cancelling Crunchyroll until the final season rolls around (had a nosey round to see if there was anything else worth watching on there but it's all just a bit too YA for my tastes).

15 hours ago, hogso said:

There's a Berserk short film coming to Netflix in autumn. Won't be too excited, as it's CG, and the CG of the movies was by far the worst bit. 

Don't think it's real, just a mocked up poster from what I read.

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2021 at 11:59, Wainy316 said:

Don't think it's real, just a mocked up poster from what I read.

Indeed, more fool me for trusting the internet.

On 18/05/2021 at 11:52, GarethRDR said:

A timely thread resurrection, just finished the excellent Castlevania series this week.  Currently working through a full Attack On Titan re-watch; been great to go back and pick up on some of the foreshadowing to all the chaos that went down in season 4, though I've got some concerns on how they wrap the whole thing up as apparently there's been some massive backlash to how the manga went out (not that I've read any of it myself, mind).  Anywho once I'm done on the AoT marathon, I can go back to cancelling Crunchyroll until the final season rolls around (had a nosey round to see if there was anything else worth watching on there but it's all just a bit too YA for my tastes).

Yeah, the manga ending was kind of a disappointment. I say kind of, as it's just so easy to expect some sort of epic finale, but if the writer had something a little different in mind for his characters, well, so be it I guess...there are enough great moments towards the end of the series that will make the final run of the anime worth a look regardless though, I would suggest. 

I've heard really good things about Castlevania, but haven't watched any of it. 

Miura has died. Berserk has had a reputation for a very long time for an achingly slow release schedule (or lack thereof), but it never really mattered because the fandom has always been patient. 

It's unclear if it'll ever be finished now. If Miura kept some sort of script, or outlay of the plot, it might be possible with other artists coming in...but it's a real possibility that Guts' journey will never have an end. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, hogso said:

Miura has died. Berserk has had a reputation for a very long time for an achingly slow release schedule (or lack thereof), but it never really mattered because the fandom has always been patient. 

It's unclear if it'll ever be finished now. If Miura kept some sort of script, or outlay of the plot, it might be possible with other artists coming in...but it's a real possibility that Guts' journey will never have an end. 

Just seen this news and came to post the same.  Absolutely gutted, I only caught up with the manga about a month ago.

I wonder how much he will have shared concerning potential story direction, wasn't he a very introvert hikikomori type?  Even if the story is completed nobody will be able to replicate his art :(

Edited by Wainy316

Yeah pretty much, I think one or two photos exist of him. 

I really don't know what would be for the best, leave it as it is and accept it was never going to be finished, have artists try to emulate his style (impossible of course to truly replicate it) and wrap up the story quickly...or maybe even roll out a more regular release schedule to fulfil his vision. 

If any even knows what that was! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

You can go and see the original two Evangelion movies (Death (True)2 (to me it's still called Death & Rebirth) followed by End of Evangelion) at Odeon and Showcase cinemas on 11th and 14th November as a double bill, both of which have the original English dub. Which is a good thing, cos it's a great dub, and you'll get to hear Spike Spencer's piercing death scream in that scene.

More info here;

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

which also gives info on the Ultimate Collector's Blu Ray set which features both dubs and as well as both sets of subs for the original Japanese! Pretty cool, although rather controversial as they could not license 'fly me to the moon' for the end credits, same as the Netflix release.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hogso said:

You can go and see the original two Evangelion movies (Death (True)2 (to me it's still called Death & Rebirth) followed by End of Evangelion) at Odeon and Showcase cinemas on 11th and 14th November as a double bill, both of which have the original English dub. Which is a good thing, cos it's a great dub, and you'll get to hear Spike Spencer's piercing death scream in that scene.

More info here;

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

which also gives info on the Ultimate Collector's Blu Ray set which features both dubs and as well as both sets of subs for the original Japanese! Pretty cool, although rather controversial as they could not license 'fly me to the moon' for the end credits, same as the Netflix release.

Heheheh Shinji GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

OMGYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS.

Any Anime recommendations from anyone? 

I've seen all of the following - 

Dragonball, Attack on Titan, 7 deadly sins, My hero academia, Full metal alchemist, Demon Slayer, Deathnote.

Also watched half of Jojo bizarre adventures but it lost me. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Dragonball, Attack on Titan, 7 deadly sins, My hero academia, Full metal alchemist, Demon Slayer, Deathnote.

A good cross section there.

The first one I will have to recommend is Akame Ga Kill. Awesome story and good action.

Other recommendations would be Killing Bites, Parasite, Tokyo Ghoul, and Samurai Champaloo. 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2021 at 22:39, AJ said:

A good cross section there.

The first one I will have to recommend is Akame Ga Kill. Awesome story and good action.

Other recommendations would be Killing Bites, Parasite, Tokyo Ghoul, and Samurai Champaloo. 

Just finished Akame ga kill suprised it's taken so long for a second season. 

44 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Just finished Akame ga kill suprised it's taken so long for a second season. 

Unfortunately, there won't be. 

On 14/10/2021 at 21:45, KAZZAM said:

Evangelion.

• 6 months later...

I started watching Dorohedoro.

Genuinely can't tell if it's good or bad. It looks cool as **** though and that's half the battle I think.

As far as I can tell, the plot concerns a guy who has been magically transformed into having a lizard head and suffering from amnesia trying to hunt down the person that did it to him. It's set in a kinda cyberpunk dystopian future slum, while there is also a separate world populated by magicians that can visit the slum world and use it's inhabitants to practice their craft.

It's violent and bizarre. The lizard guy, Caiman, 'tests' the sorcerers he encounters by biting their head, whereby they meet another person that lives in his mouth who states whether the person is the one he's hunting or not. The villains all wear odd masks - a heart, a tengu. Every episode has blood flying, the first scene has someone chopped into bits, a later fight has an eye cooked out, the first episode ends with a gag where a face gets ripped off...

I quite like it. It has an immense sense of style and very weird humour.

• 4 weeks later...
Â