The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

This is the music video to a song from the FIFA 17 soundtrack, called "Shelter" by Porter Robinson. This is one of the best music videos I have seen in a very long time. Once you understand fully what is going on, the story is beautiful. I love it, and I hope you enjoy it too.

• 3 weeks later...

2017 should see three highly intriguing returning series - the next arc of the new Berserk anime, series two of Attack on Titan and the return of possibly my favourite ever series - FLCL 2.

I'll be a bit surprised if it delivers, but with Sadamoto, the original director, and The Pillows on board...it's got a chance. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

2017 should see three highly intriguing returning series - the next arc of the new Berserk anime, series two of Attack on Titan and the return of possibly my favourite ever series - FLCL 2.

I'll be a bit surprised if it delivers, but with Sadamoto, the original director, and The Pillows on board...it's got a chance. 

Oh baby that's going to be amazing.  Is it just six episodes again?

No! Two 6 episode series were confirmed by Production IG and Adult Swim (it's a joint venture), the first 6 of which are due out this year. 

I should point out though, that like Attack on Titan 2, it's expected to air this year (Q3/Q4) but there's no guarantee. 

Haven't even mentioned Rebuild of Evangelion 4 cos, well...god knows what's going on with that. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loved Death Note.  'Liiiight-uh'.

Just started watching the original Berserk series.

I thought the newer one was a remake but I have since read it follows Guts as the Black Swordsman.  Is it a sequel?

Have you seen the Netflix Death Note teaser trailer? I posted it in the TV thread yesterday.

It is a sequel, yeah. The first series adapted the manga up until the end of the Golden Age arc (which was also developed in to 3 movies a few years ago), and the new series has adapted the 'Conviction' arc, which followed that on. That's followed by, in the manga, the 'Hawk of the Millenium Empire' arc (the anime series for this starts in April), and the 'Fantasia' arc, which is still being produced to this day. The manga started in the late 80s.

So there's plenty of story for them to animate, if they so wish. I really, really love the original series, the new one is OK, and as much as the manga had it's high points (up to where I read, anyway), I don't think it quite lives up to that first arc, which is just spectacular (unless you're @Ginko)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hogso said:

Have you seen the Netflix Death Note teaser trailer? I posted it in the TV thread yesterday.

Will watch this as soon as I get home from work!

I actually think Willem Dafoe is pretty good casting for Ryuk.

8 hours ago, hogso said:

It is a sequel, yeah. The first series adapted the manga up until the end of the Golden Age arc (which was also developed in to 3 movies a few years ago), and the new series has adapted the 'Conviction' arc, which followed that on. That's followed by, in the manga, the 'Hawk of the Millenium Empire' arc (the anime series for this starts in April), and the 'Fantasia' arc, which is still being produced to this day. The manga started in the late 80s.

So there's plenty of story for them to animate, if they so wish. I really, really love the original series, the new one is OK, and as much as the manga had it's high points (up to where I read, anyway), I don't think it quite lives up to that first arc, which is just spectacular (unless you're @Ginko)

The original Berserk anime series is so **** boring!

The fights are poorly animated and have too many stills in what should be fluid, kinetic, thrilling scenes and most of it just follows Guts as he joins the Hawks and when it finally starts getting interesting they cancelled it. Probably because they thought they'd never do it justice and obviously not enough people watched it.

Love the setting, the art style, even enjoy the characters and some of the story threads but they didn't do it anywhere near justice and the fight scenes are shite. They should be the best bit! I've seen better fights in Bleach.

• 3 months later...

So just finished Berserk.

Wow, The Eclipse!  What a tone shift that was. 

Are the films worth watching having seen the series?  I've heard they go even more hardcore.

Also does the 2016 series pick up straight after the 97 anime and/or fill in the necessary gaps?

The 'Golden Age' movies have some nice little extra bits, and the CGI effects in place are partly better, but also kinda weird looking. Berserk was certainly not an anime held in high regard for it's animation though, so it's an improvement on that at least. I wouldn't really suggest watching them, though. For a start off, because of the length of the movies vs. the length of the original episodes they compressed, some minor characters don't get as much screen time, and a major thing for me was the fact the original soundtrack didn't get nearly as much time to shine. Those long, brooding scenes with the soundtrack reaching it's peak are gone.

They re-recorded the VA track too. Some actors changed, but not the major characters. Kevin T Collins' performance as Griffith wasn't nearly as good as in the original series I thought, which is probably my favourite dub of all.

Depends if you're a completionist I suppose. Watching them in isolation is fine (or like I did, a good few years after last seeing the series), but straight after watching the original? I'm not sure it's worth it.

The new series does continue the story straight away, yes. Unfortunately it has not hit the heights of the original.

Edited by hogso

1 hour ago, hogso said:

The 'Golden Age' movies have some nice little extra bits, and the CGI effects in place are partly better, but also kinda weird looking. Berserk was certainly not an anime held in high regard for it's animation though, so it's an improvement on that at least. I wouldn't really suggest watching them, though. For a start off, because of the length of the movies vs. the length of the original episodes they compressed, some minor characters don't get as much screen time, and a major thing for me was the fact the original soundtrack didn't get nearly as much time to shine. Those long, brooding scenes with the soundtrack reaching it's peak are gone.

They re-recorded the VA track too. Some actors changed, but not the major characters. Kevin T Collins' performance as Griffith wasn't nearly as good as in the original series I thought, which is probably my favourite dub of all.

Depends if you're a completionist I suppose. Watching them in isolation is fine (or like I did, a good few years after last seeing the series), but straight after watching the original? I'm not sure it's worth it.

The new series does continue the story straight away, yes. Unfortunately it has not hit the heights of the original.

Cheers, I'll probably just dive into the new series then although might just watch the new version of the eclipse because I'm 'orrible.

Love the soundtrack from the 97 series. 

Voice actors won't matter too much as I always watch subtitled.  Always struggle with anime dubs apart from with Ghibli's where they pay the money to get decent actors in.

• 5 months later...
Â