The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Confirmed that Berserk will continue!  New chapter on 24th June.

Yeah, good news. Dunno if you saw this but worth a read

I kinda hope they wrap it up within...let's be realistic...two years max. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yeah, good news. Dunno if you saw this but worth a read

I kinda hope they wrap it up within...let's be realistic...two years max. 

Yeah pleased with that.  I was in two minds at first when we passed as it really was Miura’s baby and chapter 364 had the perfect ending/not ending but then I’ve invested far too much into Berserk to get no final pay off.  That statement gives me a lot of confidence that they’ll do right by Miura and that it’s still going to be true to his ideas and vision.  

• 2 weeks later...

Berserk Chapters 365 and 366 out available for some now in Japan, and confirmed that 367 will be in Young Animal in 2 weeks! 

Haven't seen any scanlations yet, though. 

They're also doing this Memorial Edition thing on Japanese TV, which from what I can gather is an episodic version of the 2012 movie? Unclear if there's any new content in it, though. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this from the Funny Pics thread that had drifted into a Ghibli discussion. 

Our grandchildren's favourites are undoubtedly Ponyo and My Neighbour Totoro. 

Mine is Laputa. 

Spirited Away is amazing, but disturbing, like a bad acid trip. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thought I'd bump this from the Funny Pics thread that had drifted into a Ghibli discussion. 

Our grandchildren's favourites are undoubtedly Ponyo and My Neighbour Totoro. 

Mine is Laputa. 

Spirited Away is amazing, but disturbing, like a bad acid trip. 

All good films!

I wanted to bring the comment into this thread that the films are much better in Japanese with English subs. Some of the film's go from great to bad because of the English dub (I think the example I'm thinking of is Howls Moving Castle, but I have a feeling this will be the case for all of them more or less). 

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

All good films!

I wanted to bring the comment into this thread that the films are much better in Japanese with English subs. Some of the film's go from great to bad because of the English dub (I think the example I'm thinking of is Howls Moving Castle, but I have a feeling this will be the case for all of them more or less). 

Hmmm, interesting. For foreign language 'live action' films, I always prefer original language with English subtitles, can't stand dubbing. But for animations it's the opposite - I greatly prefer the dubbed versions for some reason, 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hmmm, interesting. For foreign language 'live action' films, I always prefer original language with English subtitles, can't stand dubbing. But for animations it's the opposite - I greatly prefer the dubbed versions for some reason, 

As I mentioned in the other thread a couple of the dubs really change the films. They leave bits of the story out and really over-simplify things as I remember. I imagine the more modern ones are better though.

You never get the right feel with dubbed films, for me.

Edited by Rolta

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Same

Like I said in the other thread Disney dubbed these films and in general have done a good job of it too

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

There's not many Ghibli movies I don't care for (think I own about 90% of them) but there is definitely one that I would recommend everyone should see and that's Grave of the Fireflies.

It will destroy you emotionally, but still make sure you see it 😁

Again same as the other thread it's a contender for best war film for me regardless of it being animated, it's an incredible film

I also didn't know about operation meeting house before watching it, they keep that one quiet at school

Edited by villa4europe

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

There's not many Ghibli movies I don't care for (think I own about 90% of them) but there is definitely one that I would recommend everyone should see and that's Grave of the Fireflies.

It will destroy you emotionally, but still make sure you see it 😁

So many of Hayao Miyazaki's films have echoes of WWII and the immediate postwar period in which he grew up. 

When The Wind Rises (about the guy who designed the Mitsubishi Zero fighter) came out, they had a one-off showing at our local IMAX screen, at the Bradford media museum. Being big fans, my wife and myself and our two daughters jumped at the tickets. We rocked up to the cinema, settled in - and realised we were literally the only four people in the place. I bet the projectionist hated us, he was probably about to have a night off. 

It's a good film, too. 

So what did we think of 'Earwig and the Witch'? Seems to be widely hated by a lot of Ghibli fans (going by IMDB reviews), mainly due to the switch from 2D animation to CGI. Based on a Diana Wynn Jones book, it's set in a very British milieu. 

I thought it was really good. 

• 3 months later...
Â