Manager search "criteria"...statement on OS.

steaknchips

Do you share the club's stance that the manager needs to be proven in the Premier League?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you share the club's stance that the manager needs to be proven in the Premier League?

• No, I disagree the manager does not necessarily need PL experience
    • Yes, I agree, the Manager needs to be proven in the PL

From the beginning of our search, we have set out criteria based on proven Premier League experience

The above quote is off the official site from a statement released yesterday(14th June 2011) by the club.

I am interested to hear as to whether the club's search criteria for the next managerial appoinment shares your views?

"Proven Premier League experienced".. Is this holding back our search for a top manager? Is this why we are going down the road of being linked with Martinez and McLeish? Do you agree that it is vital the next manager has Premiership Experiance?

I dont wish to discuss the type of manager we go for in this thread(please use the manager thread for such discussions)...

But I would like to see how many fans "agree/disagree" the importance of the criteria the club have laid out for the search in this managerial appoinment.

NO, I think the club statement is also disingenuous as I'm lead to believe that at least two managers on the shortlist had no PL experience at all.

Nothing is ever as black & white as it seems

I'm so glad you started this thread. I was looking for somewhere to discuss this very issue, but the other threads were not nearly venomous for my liking. :)

I dont agree with the Lerner out thread by the way..But do agree with some of the responses that he may have been slightly ill advised.

This area of hunting for a manager with Premiership Experiance could be a huge area where Lerner is being advised wrong/right..Whats the overall majority feel on this?

Maybe the search criteria thats set out has limited our options to a very small selection of managers..Especially if you add that Moyes and co' may not interested?

I've said it before, but although I can see the reasoning behind it I don't agree with it; why tie our own hands?

Also, following that club statement I can't help but feel a little hypocrisy is creeping in when we're spun a line on McLeish that "if he's the right candidate, his association with SHA is irrelevant". Surely, if your focus is on getting the "right" man in the job then you should be entertaining candidates from all over; why this utter neccessity for Premiership experience? Maybe I'm just being a bit too precious, but it irks me to think the club is selling me a concept they themselves don't subscribe to.

No.

Someone made a good point yesterday.

Mourinho had no PL experience.

Ancelotti had no PL experience.

Wenger had no PL experience.

Houllier had no PL experience pre Liverpool.

Mancini had no PL experience.

All the top six have had successful managers from abroad. Although you do have exceptions such as Ramos who couldn't speak English. You also have exceptions with the British managers such as Moyes and Redknapp who would have been called average appointments at the time.

Appointing average British managers seems to be the norm for a team content at being a top 8 or midtable side.

I've voted yes, but rather my answer is kind of.

Personally, and I've mentioned this before, I'd like a manager who has experience of success.

Zola has managed in the PL, so have many average managers who have not achieved anything as a manager in any league.

Rather, I'd have a manager who has a taste for success - be it in Spain, Italy, or dare I say SCOTLAND.

It has to be a no. To limit the club to just Premier League experience results in such a narrow field. There are well respected managers in the Premier League who came into jobs without the criteria Villa have stated and been a success. I think cast the net wide then judge who is he best candidate for the job.

No, there is no reason to limit the search like this. Football is global, we should be looking at the best players wherever we can get them and the best managers wherever we can get them.

The current most experienced Premier League managers are already at clubs that they wouldn't leave for Villa (i.e. Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp, Moyes). If we're down to flinging ourselves at a relegated manager the moment he quits his club, we really must accept how limiting this criteria is.

I mentioned yesterday on the big thread that the worrying thing for me was that they had 4 criteria listed and none of them were primarily to do with skill/knowledge in football management - no mention of tactics, coaching skill, etc. They seem to be approaching it as a corporate appointment - the man who fits the company - rather than a footballing one.

I voted no, but within context.

As people have pointed out, the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Ancelotti, Mancini et al. didn't have Premier League experience but we have to ask whether or not we can attract men of that calibre. The truth is that we aren't at the kind of level where we can and so the kind of international candidates that are likely to be viable options will naturally present higher risks. So I can kind of understand where the club are coming from in seeking someone with prior Premier League experience, I just don't think it should then automatically become a dogmatic rule by which ALL international candidates are then frozen out.

Proven Premier League experience?

Experience in relegating his team over and over?

That Charles Krulak is a puppet without any football knowledge is obvious, but the other advisors used by Lerner must seriously be changed.

NO, I think the club statement is also disingenuous as I'm lead to believe that at least two managers on the shortlist had no PL experience at all.

Nothing is ever as black & white as it seems

Do you think there really was a shortlist?

The speed with which they have pounced on AM makes me suspect its done and dusted and he is the only candidate in the running. I know I shouldn't believe the press but I didn't belive we would ever be in for AM...

I voted "No". Why limit yourself to a small pond, when you can fish in the ocean? The majority of the best managers in the Premiership will be employed already, as if you're succesful the best teams will want you. Also, the majority of the top teams in the Premiership have employed managers from outside the Premiership. Which proves that to do well in this league doesn't mean you have managed here previously, but that you need to have the right management skills and knowledge. Sometimes you have to take a gamble to get somewhere in this game, playing it safe and steady has got us nowhere over the last 15 years.

Football is football. We don't do things that much different than say Italy, Germany or Spain. Ok, the Spanish like to pass it round a bit more, or Barcelona specifically, but they spanked Man U in the final so, yeh, bring on someone like Rijkaard, Van Gaal or whoever is proven at managing a football team well.

No. It's a bonus but certainly not the be all and end all and by adopting such a policy, we seriously limit our options.

I would much rather we took a risk on someone who could turn out to be fantastic rather than sign someone who has proven themselves average at best.

One thing is certain though and that is we aren't a very attractive prospect to a lot of managers right now - high expectations with not a great chance of achieving them.

Â