What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

18497381609_0ea80433d7_k.jpg

Oh dear I'll give that one a miss ;)

What set up are you spinning these on? I use a Rega Planar 3 and an Arcam Alpha amp

What set up are you spinning these on? I use a Rega Planar 3 and an Arcam Alpha amp.

Hark at her :)

You've gone upmarket!

It doesn't matter what deck you use - Vinyl gets debollocked at the cut ;)

It's a mad day in toy town when I like one of Rob's albums! But then I guess even the blindest of squirrels finds the occasional nut.  :rolleyes:

If you like J&D you might just like the surf punk album (if I've posted that one up here? can't remember)

My set up is pretty basic right now. It's an ion turntable that was bought with the porpoise of digitising equisting albums. This has spectacularly failed, in a good way.

I've rigged it up, via a few bits n bobs I bought in Maplins so the sound is now coming through a half decent set of 30 year old Panasonic speakers plus some additional little desktop speakers and a bass booster thingy which is deceptively heavy (its about the size and weight of a breeze block!).

So I haven't spend a fortune, about £150 all in, but the sound I can get is more than good enough for the shit I play! Added to that, I can plug it into the laptop at the same time and get a disc run off too.

I have laid the foundations of mentioning a few times that if a 'bargain' decent turntable came up one day, I might come home with it one night as a prezzy to myself. I've mentioned this a few times without being picked up on it, which means legally, I'm covered.

• Like 1

My set up is pretty basic right now. It's an ion turntable that was bought with the porpoise of digitising equisting albums. This has spectacularly failed, in a good way.

I've rigged it up, via a few bits n bobs I bought in Maplins so the sound is now coming through a half decent set of 30 year old Panasonic speakers plus some additional little desktop speakers and a bass booster thingy which is deceptively heavy (its about the size and weight of a breeze block!).

So I haven't spend a fortune, about £150 all in, but the sound I can get is more than good enough for the shit I play! Added to that, I can plug it into the laptop at the same time and get a disc run off too.

Having seen earlier comments, I was just about to start a thread seeking advice on getting a vinyl set-up. I know I'll regret it as I'll be buying albums left, right and centre (and if my current music collection is anything to go by, hardly ever listening to them) but I'd really love to get an affordable set-up. 

My father, love him, told me the other day that he'd chucked all his Marantz and Rotel kit in favour of a Roberts mp3 player!

• Like 1

I got all my gear off ebay - big Akai speakers that cost a tenner back in '07, then I got my deck and amp for a combined £160. Seller even threw in a Technics CD player for nothing. Purchased a spare cartridge and stylus as they don't make that model new anymore. Just have to replace the drive belt regularly as they seem to stretch rather quickly (within 12 months sometimes)

For me personally, once kit is good enough not to be actively damaging my records, and sounds good, that's good enough.

Most of my records are 30 years old, I'm playing them whilst also boiling a kettle or doing the dishes or whatever. The room I'm in is not an a shape designed by an acoustic engineer and has hard surfaces and a plastic conservatory roof.

I don't play much classical, a bit, but not much.

So rather than spend £900 on a turntable, I've bought a cheaper turntable and spent money on the actual records.

Later, if the right thing comes up at the right price, I might grab it. But having looked around at the price of old Linn stuff, that might be a while.

By far my best stereo sound is the CD player in my car. The nutjob that bought it new had the stereo upgrade. The big 12" 'vent' on the top of the dashboard is there for show in most, in mine it has a big bass thingy in it. I can move the sound around the car, so it plays from behind me, or from the footwells, or just standard from the door cards and pillars! Match that up with the fact that its a big automatic petrol car and that can really make a CD sing.

Personally, I'd shop in Maplins and e-bay for hifi, rather than Richer Sounds or John Lewis.

Â