dudevillaisnice

NOt saying it because they went to England but to me he has always been an overrated player.

For teh record Donovan got most of his caps in meaningless friendlies during non international breaks when European players had league games to play. Eric Wynalda had about 140 caps because of this

I know Everton are signing Donavon on-loan and it's either going to be hit or miss (I think he'll fail miserably again), but if they're looking for that type of player - why don't they just go for Clint Dempsey? He's better than Donavon, has proven he's a good player at PL standards and has impressed me quite a lot this season. Donovon's career is never going to go any far (even if he's regarded as America's 'best ever' which is just silly) but I think Dempsey's will and has already shown glimpes of that.

I know Everton are signing Donavon on-loan and it's either going to be hit or miss (I think he'll fail miserably again), but if they're looking for that type of player - why don't they just go for Clint Dempsey? He's better than Donavon, has proven he's a good player at PL standards and has impressed me quite a lot this season. Donovon's career is never going to go any far (even if he's regarded as America's 'best ever' which is just silly) but I think Dempsey's will and has already shown glimpes of that.

Better in your opinion...

How about the fact we are looking for a short term, reasonably cheap fix? Dempsey wouldn't be available for loan, at a guess, and we couldn't afford him permanently. Maybe we are just going for someone who is available and attainable, probably the reason...

arkvillan, you obssessed with us or something, like half your posts are sly digs at us.

EDIT:Oh and "best ever" was most naturally talented yano, what the american fans were saying, rather than me! (edited original post)

I'm in no position to judge as I've already admitted, seen him like a handful of times.

Not really. Dempsey is playing for club that finished 7th last season, are playing European football this season, going well this season in both the league and Europe and he's a vital player to Fulham.

Donovon is one year older than Dempsey but hasn't achieved anything at club-level whereas Dempsey has but yet he's one year younger than Donovon. If Donovon was better than Dempsey, than why does he play for a Mickey Mouse club in a Mickey Mouse league?

Hey, I wish Donovon all the best and it'll be interesting to see if he can 'cut' it in the PL, but right now when you compare both players I think Dempsey is better.

Not really. Dempsey is playing for club that finished 7th last season, are playing European football this season, going well this season in both the league and Europe and he's a vital player to Fulham.

Donovon is one year older than Dempsey but hasn't achieved anything at club-level whereas Dempsey has but yet he's one year younger than Donovon. If Donovon was better than Dempsey, than why does he play for a Mickey Mouse club in a Mickey Mouse league?

Hey, I wish Donovon all the best and it'll be interesting to see if he can 'cut' it in the PL, but right now when you compare both players I think Dempsey is better.

:?... :crylaugh:

What is this a reply to?

WTF? :?

Yeah, "vital player to Fulham" < could be the reason we ain't going for him...

Affordable, attainable, short term fix - Dempsey would fit none of these categories, in my opinion, and as far as I'm aware, that is what we are looking for.

"If Donovon was better than Dempsey, why does he play for a Mickey Mouse club in a Mickey Mouse league?"

I dunno, I've already suggested one reason, that is he is the face of US 'soccer', and the MLS hold his contract and don't want to let their prized asset leave. He likes living in California and hasn't enjoyed Europe when he's been over here (never settled), by his own admission.

Also how about that Dempsey has been here for a good few years and progressed into a better player, whereas when he left MLS he wasn't as good so was easier to attain?

are you only allowed to post here if you agree that everton are super fabulous. there is a spurs thread that cuts fairly close to the bone, which is fine by me. but i just happen to dislike everton as much as spurs.

No, I just find it rather funny that half your posts are digs at us. Not really arsed to be honest.

artetas a prick too. and this is from personal experience. imagine trying to charge a beer to have his picture taken with him.

:lol:

If you hate Everton so much, why did you want a picture with him anyway?

He's always been lovely everytime I've met him, never heard any different off other people I've known who met him.

WTF? :?

Yeah, "vital player to Fulham" < could be the reason we ain't going for him...

Affordable, attainable, short term fix - Dempsey would fit none of these categories, in my opinion, and as far as I'm aware, that is what we are looking for.

"If Donovon was better than Dempsey, why does he play for a Mickey Mouse club in a Mickey Mouse league?"

I dunno, I've already suggested one reason, that is he is the face of US 'soccer', and the MLS hold his contract and don't want to let their prized asset leave. He likes living in California and hasn't enjoyed Europe when he's been over here (never settled), by his own admission.

Also how about that Dempsey has been here for a good few years and progressed into a better player, whereas when he left MLS he wasn't as good so was easier to attain?

I was just explaining why I think Dempsey is better than Donavon.

And "I dunno, I've already suggested one reason, that is he is the face of US 'soccer', and the MLS hold his contract and don't want to let their prized asset leave. He likes living in California and hasn't enjoyed Europe when he's been over here (never settled), by his own admission" doesn't fly very far with me as far as I'm concerned. If you want to progress as a football player wanting to play at a high level you wouldn't be obliged to play in the MLS (no disrespect). I'd do ANYTHING to play to play in the PL, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 etc... it just seems Donavon is just wasting his talent by not wanting to adjust just because he prefers to live in SoCal. Other American's have settled into Europe and European football perfectly fine so I just think that's a weak excuse personally.

artetas a prick too. and this is from personal experience. imagine trying to charge a beer to have his picture taken with him.

:lol:

If you hate Everton so much, why did you want a picture with him anyway?

He's always been lovely everytime I've met him, never heard any different off other people I've known who met him.

a bangkok bar 2005. a thai man asks for a pic and arteta say only if he buys him a beer. a few everton staff and players were there and were fine.

Really doesn't sound like him, I'm sure he don't even like beer :?...anyway, he's always been really nice to me and people I know when they've met him so I'll judge a person on my own experiences, thanks.

Really doesn't sound like him, I'm sure he don't even like beer :?...anyway, he's always been really nice to me and people I know when they've met him so I'll judge a person on my own experiences, thanks.

as will i. and i'm not wearing blue tinted specs.

Â