How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?

TRS-T

I am actually jealous that Blues get to play Coventry again next year (not that I'd want to be in the Championship.)

I really hope we draw them in the Cup.

Villa-Cov is clearly bigger than Villa-Wolves, and probably on a par with Villa-Albion.

When Blues do play Cov next season though, you can bet that SOTV will be the chant of choice...

Did your daddy touch you in "secret" places ?

Cov - Villa on a par with Albion - Villa.

Maybe on some planet it is but not on this one.

What a crazy statement to make

It was a great match in the late 90s in the PL when there were no derby's against Small Heath, Baggies or Wolves. Being from close by to Cov it's very significant to me as alot of my family are Cov fans, so that helps too. It's a cracking derby for me, but would totally understand alot of Villa fans not really being bothered with them anymore
I have lived in nuneaton for the last 20 years so have a lot of experience of cov fans.

shitty little club , shithole of a city , they dont like anyone but no one else cares , used to have lots of industry now just have ikea , love winding them up over villa complete lack of interest in them , they hate us we dont care , when mesre sent them down it felt like we had won the cup .

shower of absolute gobshites.

lots of villa in nuneaton so easy to take the piss out of them.

As 1968's post clearly states, there is lots of Villa support in Coventry heartland, so that's why they hate us.

Rivalry? No, their local rivals are Leicester, and I am pleased that they can enjoy that derby nowadays.

These are the posts I'd highlight in this thread. If you are a Villa fan from north Birmingham, the Black Country, Staffordshire or Worcestershire then Coventry are understandably not on your radar. If you are in south Brum, Soilhull or along the A45 corridor then they are a factor, albeit one who are absolutely dwarfed by the Blues.

The thing is, Villa also have a lot of support in Warwickshire which Coventry City see as "theirs" and I know for a fact this pisses Coventry fans off greatly. Places like Nuneaton, Leamington Spa and Warwick are where Coventry and Villa fans mix most. When Coventry were in the premier league they were always the fixture I looked for first when the new fixtures were out, and they were the team I enjoyed beating the most. Obviously I would never tell a Coventry fan this because it pisses them off more to be ignored than it would to be hated, but Villa - Coventry rivalry is very much a thing in Warwickshire, even if it is possibly the most one sided rivalry in the world.

When Blues do play Cov next season though, you can bet that SOTV will be the chant of choice...
What relevance does that have?

Shows how much they both hate us.

Coventry hate us more than West Brom do.

I went to a gig in Coventry the other week, lots of youngsters and a few of them were singing Shit on the Villa.

Dont worry, I rounded up my lot and we put them in their place.

This is what I'm saying.

We haven't played them for 10 years but they still sing SOTV.

Cov's hatred of us is comparable with that of Blues, above that of Albion and way above that of Wolves.

i have lived in nuneaton for the last 20 years , the cov thing is quite funny.

they are not on the map , no one gives a shit about them and it pisses them off.

horrible pointles shower of shit!

Coventry City will be the Championship`s longest serving club next season following the relegation of Preston North End, the 2011/12 campaign being their 11th in a row in the second tier of English football.

Pretty sure I heard a stat saying that Coventry were the only club in the Football League in recent years to have NOT finished in the top 6 or the bottom 6 of the league - the definition of mid-table obscurity.

10 years in the Championship and all because of us :lol:

EDIT: Coventry's last 9 seasons in the Championship

2002/03 - 20th

2003/04 - 12th

2004/05 - 19th

2005/06 - 8th

2006/07 - 17th

2007/08 - 21st

2008/09 - 17th

2009/10 - 19th

2010/11 - 18th

Stat must be they're the only club never to finish in the top 7 in recent seasons?

I think the stat is something like they're the club who have spent the longest in the same league without getting relegated or into the playoffs.

I remember going there years ago on the Villa special train and getting treated like shit by the police when they marched us in file from the station to the ground, they hated us and were provoking our fans to get a reaction so they could nick them.

I think it was Bruuuuuuuuunoooo that bagged us the points, a diving header iirc?

The walk back to the station was even worse with the police again treating us like shit, they herded us through a big park where a very large crowd of their fans were waiting for us lobbing bricks and whatever else they could lay their hands on. Of course the old bill did **** all to stop their lot, they were only happy to nick any of ours that chucked it back or mouthed off at them.

Time for us to sit back and have a cigar I think, seeing whats going on down the road, it's fantastic. Let's hope it continues. PUSB.

SOTV. SOTV Tonight. BWAHAHAHAHA. (That's enough of my witty banter)

sod the dumb brummy tw*ts, the Super Sky Blues are going to takeover !!!

As a cov fan living in brum its funny as f@ck to see...i cant decide which of them I hate more, bring on the blues!

I can honestly say I hate Villa more, always will do. Brum will always be a second division team, whereas we are forever Premiership. You know it.

Could care less about Villa, hate Leicester! But its always nice to see them suffer!

Looking through Villa forums it's absolutely hilarious how many of their fans still think they are a big club.

Couple of sane Cov fans though

I have never rated Brum and I have never particularly liked Villa but they are the biggest club in the Midlands.

own their ground, in the prem, few quid. Might put that cigar out

Sky Blues Talk

Christ, they won't have time to think about us with Leicester at home and then SHA away starting their season

Great couple of derbies for them.

But we're still their big one.

• 3 months later...

They don't even feature on my radar... I have absolutely no feelings about Coventry at all. To hate them, I would have to firstly recognise them as being remotely worthy to be considered a rival to Villa.... and I just don't.

Coventry give you an allocation of over 6000 tickets in the league at the Ricoh.

Let's hope we draw them in the FA Cup.

**** hell! I didn't know that.

Had to laugh the other week when they were on the news, fans in the ground fighting the stewards cos they were trying to put up a banner in protest of SISU or whatever it is :lol: It's really harsh, and I shouldnt laugh, but the sight of that steward rolling down the steps...oh man

My grandad has been a Sky Blue ST holder for nigh on 20 consecutive years - until this season. He has pretty much given up on the club.

Â