The classical music thread

mjmooney

See that's who a good portion of Britain would think of if the name "Wagner" was mentioned. Rather than the composer of the flight of the Valykries.

I like Wagner - SIEG HEIL

But (and don't quote me exactly) wasn't Wagner dead 30 years before the Nazi's came to power? So is it the heavy handed, ponderous, over long and loud nature of the Ring Cycle something that fitted Nazi ideals? Think of Speers plans for Germania? Of the very idea of creating lebensraum, (living room) and the pomp of the uniforms and regalia, along with the semi mystic nature of their idealogy somehting intrinsically "German" and of "german character" given that Wagner predated them by so long. And wasn;t the last Nazi broadcast "Siegfried" as the Russians entered Berlin - a sad opera based on a hero's death or some such nonsense.

Where as you think of Italians, think of their cars, think of their food. Much lighter, much freer of spirit. Think Rossini, such as the ultimate fiat Strada ad - from BArber of Seville...

and doesnt that bring back the 1980's ?

But its odd that on an "english" forum, theres very little "english" classical.
Another reason I started this thread.

Some years ago, I had a chat with somebody on VT - and to my shame I cannot remember who - about English composers. The well-known - Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Holst, Britten - and the not so well known - Butterworth, Warlock, Finzi, et al.

I've been expanding my collection in this area, but I'm still open to tips. So - who's the English music fan on here?

BTW, RVW is up there with Shostakovich as my equal favourite composer. Mahler a little way behind, and Stravinsky coming up on the rails.

So - who's the English music fan on here?

Sled probably, really deep knowledge of the Brit stuff.

You might like these though:

3354f7l.jpgnyiaf4.jpg2iho7r6.jpg

All great. The Mudge is the real surprise. Quite amazing English Baroque, bit like Bach around the maypole.

The best labels for the less known British composers are Lyrita for the slightly older stuff, then NMC pick up where Lyrita tail off. There's a couple of creditable bits on Naxos too. The Holst Double Concerto for one and the Rubbra violin concerto is worth a listen.

I have that Holst CD. Love it.

It's my favourite Holst on Lyrita. More expensive than other similar collections, but worth it. Do wish they'd redo the cover though - salmon pink monstrosity - it really puts some people off.

Could you class the soundtracks produced by Ennio Morricone for the 'Man With No Name' trilogy's as classical?
Good question.

I've used the term "classical" for this thread, because there is no better term for stuff which is "non-pop".

Morricone isn't "classical" in the sense that Mozart is, but personally I do tend to think of it in a similar way. So for me, yes.

Could you class the soundtracks produced by Ennio Morricone for the 'Man With No Name' trilogy's as classical?

There's a discussion about this in this months Gramophone if you're quick.

GramApril2011.jpg

So - who's the English music fan on here?

Sled probably, really deep knowledge of the Brit stuff.

Yes, it might have been Sled/Oldfart, come to think of it.

Pleased to see the responses in this thread.

Do I dare start a jazz thread ("nnnnnnice"), or would that be pushing my luck? :)

RVW is a very good composer. I do appreciate the works of English composers,but there's no doubting our Teutonic chums were just as (if not more) gifted with a joanna and a quill. A lot of people I have broached this subject with them, when asked what nationality Gustav Holst was, I got "Polish?" "Russian?" "German?" and they looked shocked when I said he was born in Cheltenham. Elgar obviously is very very famous in Worcestershire (statue of him is near the cathedral on the end of the high street FYI) obviously being from Worcester, but the general public seemingly don't know too much about Holst, recognise the name and maybe "Jupiter" or "Mercury" by him.

I will say though (at the risk!) that English classical music IS underrated.

I hope you went and looked up a bit of Lauro's music yesterday Mike!

I like Patensohn von Schlemugger Symphony No. 16 in B-major Concerto Deux "Viva La Pape et Ma Mere" by Laurent van der Baird.

Ok that was a real **** waste of time.

I like Patensohn von Schlemugger Symphony No. 16 in B-major Concerto Deux "Viva La Pape et Ma Mere" by Laurent van der Baird.

Ah, but which version?

The 1959 recording by Hermann Flanflinger with the Dusseldorf Rundfunk Symphonieorchestra on Krautische Grammarnazi ?

Or the "period instruments" rendition from 1985 by Sir Humphrey Ramsbottom-Carruthers and the Academy of St. Darren-in-the-Market ?

There's also an interesting solo piano version by Les Dawson.

• Like 1

I really want to get into classical music more, but find it quite impenetrable trying to get to know who's who and what's what, and it's not like a certain piece that you hear and love is easily findable, as there are so many different recordings. For example, I was listening to Classic FM a few weeks back and they played Handel's Sarabande - it was probably the most stunnign thing I've ever heard, but I don't know who it was performed by, and consequentially will probably never find it again, which is doing my head in.

Anyone got any recommendations for me...? I don't like tippy-tappy classical music... I like it bolshy, brash and slightly mental. Like that Sarabande, or Purcell's Funeral March of Queen Mary. O Fortuna from Carmina Burana, and Mars and Jupiter by Holst... that sort of powerful stuff I find amazing, but no idea where I should go and look for more....

Â