The classical music thread

mjmooney

No more daft than some of the "Sit On My Face Part 2 by DJ Wayne, feat. MC Snot and Lil' Shithead (12" hard house remix)" stuff that goes on, really.

I knew that would come up :D I don't particularly quite like that either ("pop rap")

Can't be helped, though.

Doesn't make a difference, it's still irritating :D

You'd find Glass in a classical music shop, but he's not a musician. He just makes extremely dull, repetitive tracks (I avoid the word tunes) as if someone just spilt tea over a sequencer. He is the Emperors new clothes of the second hand charity clothes shop and can be instantly disregarded, along with that Horowitz bloke who is slightly more tallented at producting tedious overlong tracks of "noise". They mainly appeal to the kind of people who think their cat vomiting dead mice over the carpet is a work of art destined for the tate modern. These kind of tedious people can be bludgeoned safely in their beds in the knowlege that society has lost nothing in their tiresome promulgation of "avand guard" rubbish, simply as some sort of demonstraiton of "uber taste" and the nasty suspicion we should defer to their opinions as they can clearly "hear" and "see" things the rest of us can't, and to disagree is like suggesting feeding kids turkey twisslers round the paedophiles house is a good thing. rocket polishers. Phillip Glass is most often played on B&O systems or on the in car CD of a BMW x5. Frankly the last time I was ill in my pants, I produced more interesting sounds through my anus. If only I'd sampled it, stretched it over an hours CD, I could have sold it to these people for at least £30 a time as long as they were persuaded it was fashionable. Meanwhile, African children starve. rocket polishers.

God I hate PHillip Glass.

I was listening to Classic FM a few weeks back and they played Handel's Sarabande - it was probably the most stunnign thing I've ever heard, but I don't know who it was performed by, and consequentially will probably never find it again, which is doing my head in.
Solo piano?

Almost certainly Gabriela Montero

Top classical totty!

51KQbSzpwyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Naw, full orchestra - from Xann's advice, I think it was a czech orchestra, but my laptop died while I was looking, so I'll have a look in a bit :)

If Ólöf Arnalds is the same person is that "classical" - it's more indoe pop in my book. I have her CD "Innundir Skinni".

There's a Ólafur Arnalds, who I also have some music by, which seems more classical style. Violins n' that.

It's these Icelandic names that confuse me

Any Bruckner fans here?

He's somebody that I just don't "get". I like many of the 19th Century German romantics - Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Mahler - Wagner, even. So I thought I'd find something to like in Bruckner.

But try as I might it does absolutely nothing for me. I've been working through the symphonies and I just can't discern any "shape" to them at all. They just seem to ramble on in a "romantic symphony by numbers" way, without ever coming up with any of those moments that make you go "YES!".

The Seventh seems to get the nearest to it, but I'm struggling with the rest, TBH.

• 2 weeks later...

33vnhfo.jpg

This is the intermezzo from 'Notre Dame' by Schmidt.

Some deep string action. The slightly wonky arrangement (especially nearer the end) reflects the less than perfect principal protagonist.

Fab album all round.

Â