The classical music thread

mjmooney

I was listening to Classic FM a few weeks back and they played Handel's Sarabande - it was probably the most stunnign thing I've ever heard, but I don't know who it was performed by, and consequentially will probably never find it again...

When you hear something you like on the radio, just note the time, check the playlist later on the interweb.

I was listening to Classic FM a few weeks back and they played Handel's Sarabande - it was probably the most stunnign thing I've ever heard, but I don't know who it was performed by, and consequentially will probably never find it again...

When you hear something you like on the radio, just note the time, check the playlist later on the interweb.

Well the great thing about Classical music is that there are so many different recordings of one peice. You have the name already so type it into google or go into a shop and ask for a version. They'll be very happy to help you. Xann's advice is good also.

I am extremely lucky as my Grandfather is a classical music fan extraordinaire. He has thousands upon thousands of vinyl and cd collections. He has an Encyclopaedic knowledge.

I was listening to Classic FM a few weeks back and they played Handel's Sarabande - it was probably the most stunnign thing I've ever heard, but I don't know who it was performed by, and consequentially will probably never find it again, which is doing my head in.
Solo piano?

Almost certainly Gabriela Montero

Top classical totty!

51KQbSzpwyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Where does

fit into this, is that "classical"?

Serious question, because where is the line drawn between classical music / experimental electronic music / post -rock, to my mind there's a huge overlap.

Anyone mentioned

yet? Who I incidentally got into because of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZt01Xb0us.

This post probably goes someway to explaining why I hate the term "classical music".

Totally agree bicks. But until somebody comes up with a better term we're stuck with it.

How about jazz/"classical" crossovers, like this?

51D7MD44NWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It sounds like the soundtrack to an imaginary film noir created by a collaboration between Bela Bartok and Miles Davis.

this thread just reminded me of when i was about 14 and my Nan was staying with us .. As I was going to school I asked her if she wanted some music on and she asked "have you got any classical music ?"

and I replied " We have some Cliff Richard"

:oops:

I have always enjoyed listening to certain classical music such as o fortuna and music quite similarily grand and dramatic. Especially good at the Grande Place in Brussels with the light show and a beer.

The problem is classical music seems so vast, I don't even know where to start. Anyone know of any 'starter' composers to get into? or what was the first album/piece that got you into classical music? what are your favourite pieces of music?

Sorry for the questions, but I find it as confusing as going to a chinese restaurant where the menus are not written in English!

I have always enjoyed listening to certain classical music such as o fortuna and music quite similarily grand and dramatic. Especially good at the Grande Place in Brussels with the light show and a beer.

The problem is classical music seems so vast, I don't even know where to start. Anyone know of any 'starter' composers to get into? or what was the first album/piece that got you into classical music? what are your favourite pieces of music?

Sorry for the questions, but I find it as confusing as going to a chinese restaurant where the menus are not written in English!

This is always a problem.

I got into it more or less in chronological order - baroque stuff first (Bach, Handel, Vivaldi), then the 19th Century (Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky), and now I like 20th C stuff a lot. But I'm talking of 30 years or so of "dabbling" as a second string to listening to pop/rock.

I think my advice would be to listen to Classic FM. It's a bit "safe" (lots of Saga adverts) and the presenters are morons, but you can get a sample of stuff. Make a note of things you like and then get a few CDs.

I find I play the classical stuff on my own in the car more than anywhere else - fewer interruptions.

I like Patensohn von Schlemugger Symphony No. 16 in B-major Concerto Deux "Viva La Pape et Ma Mere" by Laurent van der Baird.

Ah, but which version?

The 1959 recording by Hermann Flanflinger with the Dusseldorf Rundfunk Symphonieorchestra on Krautische Grammarnazi ?

Or the "period instruments" rendition from 1985 by Sir Humphrey Ramsbottom-Carruthers and the Academy of St. Darren-in-the-Market ?

There's also an interesting solo piano version by Les Dawson.

:lol:

How do you define classical music?

I mean is it "orchestral stuff" - does that cover it?

or is it "like, really old stuff, dude"? or non electric instruments, or played on "old" instruments

Would, say, Phillip Glass count as classical?

What about post rock instrumental - is that classical?

There's always going to be grey areas with this, there's not a definitive answer (or if there is everyone ignores it).

You'd find Glass in a classical music shop, but he's not a Classical musician.

I tend to treat 'Classical' with a capital C as the period between Baroque & Romantic, 'classical' music lower case c covers everything - Early to Contemporary.

Post Rock is Post Rock, not classical, but there are electric guitars in classical music - Glenn Branca's your man.

I hope that's all clear now. :lol:

By the way Mooney you do know what I'm trying to imply right? It's not just a stupid joke for joking's sake.
Not a clue, mate.

I don't like classical music, mainly because it always entails listening to geeks rattling off funny-sounding, anachronistic, unwieldy and obscure song names, irritating! :D

I mean think about it. "What's your favourite song?" --- "I Love You" by xxx or "Demeano Concerto No.46 Symphony Piano Ma Scitto Carlo In C-major 'Mere Yala Mana' blablablablabla"

By the way Mooney you do know what I'm trying to imply right? It's not just a stupid joke for joking's sake.
Not a clue, mate.

I don't like classical music, mainly because it always entails listening to geeks rattling off funny-sounding, anachronistic, unwieldy and obscure song names, irritating! :D

I mean think about it. "What's your favourite song?" --- "I Love You" by xxx or "Demeano Concerto No.46 Symphony Piano Ma Scitto Carlo In C-major 'Mere Yala Mana' blablablablabla"

Can't be helped, though.

Much pop/rock/folk type music is written, played and recorded by one person. It has a simple title. And that is "the" version.

But an orchestral piece may have been written 200 years ago. Chances are it's not a "song", but a long piece of instrumental music, probably one of dozens or even hundreds by the same composer.

The only way to identify it is by type (symphony, concerto, etc.) and key - and given that it's probably been recorded many times, you may need to specify which version you're talking about, so you're including orchestra, conductor and date.

It's just the way it is.

No more daft than some of the "Sit On My Face Part 2 by DJ Wayne, feat. MC Snot and Lil' Shithead (12" hard house remix)" stuff that goes on, really.

Â