Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Im still banging the Deschamp's drum...:)

"Deschamps, for the most part, has steered clear of the off-field shenanigans. The ex-Juventus, Chelsea and Valencia midfielder does his best to focus on the soccer and has succeeded in moulding a powerful team. Last season’s title-winning side was built around a solid defence that included Souleymane Diawara, Stéphane Mbia and ex-United player Gabriel Heinze. Lucho Gonzalez’s passing prowess and Mamadou Niang’s goals were also crucial.

Deschamps, however, is most of proud of changing the mentality at a club that had gained a reputation for being perennial losers. “It had been so long since Marseille had won anything, I knew the hardest trophy to win would be the first one,” he says. “That’s why beating Bordeaux (to win the League Cup) was so important. After that there was no fear.”

Having won the World Cup, the European Championship, two French titles, three Serie A titles and two Champions League crowns, Deschamps is one of the most successful players in history and commands respect. “I have that winning culture. It’s something I was born with and it’s important,” he stresses. “My role now is to pass that on to the players. But it isn’t easy in France. We’re so used to losing top players, there’s a bit of an inferiority complex.”

To be fair, I think he's more than proved his credentials to manage us. It's a question of whether we could attract a manager of that calibre.

The bold line illustrates why he'd be 100% perfect for us :winkold:

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 19 Jan, 2009

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009

There's some pretty great signings on that list - and you can add Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry, and Joleon Lescott for good measure. The backbone of City's success last season.

sorry, i genuinely forgot he had another half season at the club

here is the other players

Roque Santa Cruz Blackburn £17,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Gareth Barry Aston Villa £12,000,000 01 Jul, 2009

Stuart Taylor Aston Villa Free 01 Jul, 2009

Carlos Tevez Man Utd Signed 14 Jul, 2009

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal £25,000,000 19 Jul, 2009

Kolo Toure Arsenal £16,000,000 29 Jul, 2009

Sylvinho Barcelona Free 24 Aug, 2009

Joleon Lescott Everton £22,000,000 25 Aug, 2009

although again, it does appear he didnt spend as well as some think.

tevez was either 25 or 35 million?

so in total he spent over £200 million on players in 18 months and only 5 play in the first team on a regular or semi regular basis

ouch.

Viendo a Nad-Sod Vamos Rafa!!!

Viendo = Seeing or watching - so I'm guessing he's watching Rafa Nadal's match live on Eurosport2 against Soderling from Sweden!

Vamos Rafa = Go Rafa!!!

so in total he spent over £200 million on players in 18 months and only 5 play in the first team on a regular or semi regular basis

ouch.

MON spent £132m (over a longer period granted) and about half of them never played in the first team on a regular basis.

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

There's some pretty great signings on that list - and you can add Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry, and Joleon Lescott for good measure. The backbone of City's success last season.

Kompany is the only one on that list I'd call a great signing. I think they paid a fortune for De Jong when he was available on a free IIRC otherwise he'd be there as well.

De Jong has been awesome for them and become one of the best defensive midfielders in the league. It really doesn't matter that he could've left Hamburg six months later for a fixed fee (not a free, although I believe it was only around £1.3m) when money means nothing to them. They wanted him right away so they bought him rather than waiting.

Zabaleta has also been excellent and formed part of one of the best defences in the country, as has Lescott in the last twelve months.

Barry has been the model of consistency for them, albeit in a more restricted role than the one he played here.

Bellamy was terrific under Hughes - he was being touted as a PFA Player of the Year contender at Christmas of that season until Hughes was sacked.

And as for Tevez....

sorry, i genuinely forgot he had another half season at the club

here is the other players

Roque Santa Cruz Blackburn £17,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Gareth Barry Aston Villa £12,000,000 01 Jul, 2009

Stuart Taylor Aston Villa Free 01 Jul, 2009

Carlos Tevez Man Utd Signed 14 Jul, 2009

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal £25,000,000 19 Jul, 2009

Kolo Toure Arsenal £16,000,000 29 Jul, 2009

Sylvinho Barcelona Free 24 Aug, 2009

Joleon Lescott Everton £22,000,000 25 Aug, 2009

although again, it does appear he didnt spend as well as some think.

tevez was either 25 or 35 million?

ouch.

I wouldn't judge how much he spent; getting the right price was not what Man City were doing that year. They were making a statement.

Looking at those players; at the time he bought them - they would all probably walk into our squad bar the frees ... and Jo. (and SWP)

Man City were 5th in league (with game in hand) when Hughes was sacked.

Mancini came in , spent even more money in their Jan window and they finished the season....5th.

Yes Hughes bought some duds but also bought some good players some which still very important to City now are some that Mancini just didnt fancy despite being decent.

I dont think Hughes done that badly as some trying to make out at City at all.

Im still banging the Deschamp's drum...:)

"Deschamps, for the most part, has steered clear of the off-field shenanigans. The ex-Juventus, Chelsea and Valencia midfielder does his best to focus on the soccer and has succeeded in moulding a powerful team. Last season’s title-winning side was built around a solid defence that included Souleymane Diawara, Stéphane Mbia and ex-United player Gabriel Heinze. Lucho Gonzalez’s passing prowess and Mamadou Niang’s goals were also crucial.

Deschamps, however, is most of proud of changing the mentality at a club that had gained a reputation for being perennial losers. “It had been so long since Marseille had won anything, I knew the hardest trophy to win would be the first one,” he says. “That’s why beating Bordeaux (to win the League Cup) was so important. After that there was no fear.”

Having won the World Cup, the European Championship, two French titles, three Serie A titles and two Champions League crowns, Deschamps is one of the most successful players in history and commands respect. “I have that winning culture. It’s something I was born with and it’s important,” he stresses. “My role now is to pass that on to the players. But it isn’t easy in France. We’re so used to losing top players, there’s a bit of an inferiority complex.”

I'd go along with Deschamps. He has pretty much won it all as a player, and looks like he is going to follow a similar path as manager. His name did cross my mind as a candidate when we were looking to replace MON. I think he would do well here. Whether he would be willing to manage us is another question? Maybe Houllier could put in a good word?

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

There's some dodgy signings on that list!

yep

add in robinho, £18 million on de jong who was available on a free transfer 3 months later and able to sign a precontract agreement in january with man city.

14 million on bellemy who did well for 1 season before being booted out of the club, given was 10 million i think?

some in principle seem or seemed good buys but the value for money from them has apart from kompany who was wanted by several clubs but man city paid the most wages and arguably de jong even at 18 million is a good player but for the sake of 3 months? £18 million? really?

every manager makes **** ups but when you can buy ANYONE in the world those signings havent been THAT good really.

Transfer fees at City are irrelevant - every purchase was hiked up because the selling clubs knew they could demand it. All Hughes could do was pinpoint the right players and in this regard he did a mostly excellent job. Kompany, in particular, has proven to be one of the best finds in the Premier League in recent times.

so if he spent alot on a player it is irelevant? but if he doesnt spend as much on a player then it is one of the best finds in recent times?

you cant have it both ways

kompany was no great find, he had been purchased for £6 million by hamburg in the first place who then sold him on,he was wanted by several clubs and only one of those clubs offered £100k per week, have a guess which one?

you also make excuses for his signings saying that the money didnt count, just the players and he got the right players?

only 5 out of 18 players are in the first team on any regularity, and these were not small squad players, this is over 200 million of players, infact closer to £230 million

you would expect a sllightly better average than that for the money spent

i hope we dont sign hughes but think we will bottle it and he will be the next manager, i have just thrown actual FACTS into the mix rather than some romantic notion that he is great at transfers, is a great manager and so on. he has done average at an average club in fulham and has done below average at a club with unlimited funds in man city, he did in my view better at blackburn than either of the other 2 clubs but that is now 4 years or more ago.

4 years is a long time in football.

With the amount of money Hughes had to spend at Man Shitty there was bound to be a few dodgy signings. He was building a completely new squad, so some of the players he bought were intended to be backup players.

I would say him building the spine of their current team (Kompany, Lescott, Barry, De Jong, Tevez) is enough to say he did spend well.

Also, the football they played then was far better than the boring stuff Mancini has got them playing.