Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Hughes would be a terrible appointment. The club would basically make a statement saying they're not ambitious enough to push forward.

Darren Bent would look at that and must think what is he doing at this club. It's no different than Sunderland and I'm sure he would want out next season.

There's no way we would get another Marquee signing, not even a quality signing. I'm sure Hughes would only attract players like Sidwell where he could turn them into a better player. Hell, he may play Ireland and Warnock again. Who the hell wants to see them in our squad? His scouting level sucks.

He isn't even a manager who has stability. I mean come on, he's only been at Fulham for 1 year and he wants out straight away? He seems more of a journey man now. That club seems more his level.

I don't recall him playing much of kids either. How are we suppose to blood our youngsters then?

The only highlight I can see is he'll only trim the wage bill, but that's it. Don't expect any good players to stick around, just average players such as Dunne, Collins etc and don't expect us to do any better than West Brom who imo could do better than us seeing as they have a better manager.

Hughes attracted Robinho to Citeh.

At least do a little bit of research before spouting your incessent bile.

I think you will find that it was MONEY that attracted Robinho to City.. :twisted:

:lol:

Nothing to do with the 160 grand a week wages at all...

I'm not defending onlyone, and never would, but come on - Hughes had little or nothing to do with that transfer.

32.6% win ratio at Fulham is overacheiving?

With the injuries he had yes. Also they finished 8th. Where do you expect Fulham to finish each season?

He inherited a good, stable side that Hodgson crafted and has since won a smaller percentage of games than him.

I'm not saying he's done a bad job there but I'd say its par for the course, which is what Hughes is as a manager. I don't think he's ever shown that he's capable of improving a club significantly and doesn't have what it takes to push us on to the next level.

He had far worse injuries than Hodgson had. You still didn't answer my question, where do you expect Fulham to finish most seasons?

MON - Houllier - Hughes. We're really pushing forward guys. Let's see what Hughes has on his C.V. Oh yeah, **** all. He didn't even win the League Cup with Blackburn. Souness did. It appears some of your expectations have dropped and don't care this club is moving backwards, but funny enough I do.

Don_Simon - Just laughable. I'm sure any manager would attract a player AND club if they're willing to splash out over 30 million. What brilliant signings did he do at Fulham that was so drool worthy?

With the injuries he had yes. Also they finished 8th. Where do you expect Fulham to finish each season?

He inherited a good, stable side that Hodgson crafted and has since won a smaller percentage of games than him.

I'm not saying he's done a bad job there but I'd say its par for the course, which is what Hughes is as a manager. I don't think he's ever shown that he's capable of improving a club significantly and doesn't have what it takes to push us on to the next level.

He had far worse injuries than Hodgson had. You still didn't answer my question, where do you expect Fulham to finish most seasons?

Sorry, missed that part, top 10.

I'm not defending onlyone, and never would, but come on - Hughes had little or nothing to do with that transfer.

Yup Robinho was nothing to do with Hughes.

Was it Tevez who loves Hughes and gave him a hug when City played Fulham? If so good players must like his methods...

Mark Hughes would be a terrible appointment. The club would basically make a statement saying they're not ambitious enough to push forward.

Darren Bent would look at that and must think what is he doing at this club. It's no different than Sunderland and I'm sure he would want out next season.

There's no way we would get another Marquee signing, not even a quality signing. I'm sure Hughes would only attract players like Sidwell where he could turn them into a better player. Hell, he may play Ireland and Warnock again. Who the hell wants to see them in our squad? His scouting level sucks.

He isn't even a manager who has stability. I mean come on, he's only been at Fulham for 1 year and he wants out straight away? He seems more of a journey man now. That club seems more his level.

I don't recall him playing much of kids either. How are we suppose to blood our youngsters then?

The only highlight I can see is he'll only trim the wage bill, but that's it. Don't expect any good players to stick around, just average players such as Dunne, Collins etc and don't expect us to do any better than West Brom who imo could do better than us seeing as they have a better manager.

At least do a little bit of research before spouting your incessent bile.

Robinho genuinely thought he was signing for United when 'Manchester' came calling. Hardly Hughes attracting him...

Was it Tevez who loves Hughes and gave him a hug when City played Fulham? If so good players must like his methods...

A good relationship with a top class player doesn't make you a good manager.

Sorry, missed that part, top 10.

I think thats very generous. 11th-14th for me. To get Fulham top 8 is an acheivement.

A good relationship with a top class player doesn't make you a good manager.

No but it will mean you keep hold of good players...which helps :winkold:

I think deep down we all know its between Moyes and Hughes.. now that Moyes has ruled himself out and the delay in Hughes signing a new contract at Fulham.. all this suggests it will be Hughes imo.
As has been pointed out several times, Moyes has NOT "ruled himself out". The quotes being bandied around are from over a week ago, and are ambivalent at best.

Yet again it all depends on money.

If we want to get a manager without compensation; there are a few available - Ancelotti, Grant, Hughes (depending on clause), Jol (I think)

Or do we want to approach another team for their manager - Moyes, Martinez, etc - but will cost us a couple of million.

MON - Houllier - Hughes. We're really pushing forward guys. Let's see what Hughes has on his C.V. Oh yeah, **** all. He didn't even win the League Cup with Blackburn. Souness did. It appears some of your expectations have dropped and don't care this club is moving backwards, but funny enough I do.

You make it seem like we have some divine right to have a Manager with a horde of trophies and medals in his cabinet? We're a mid-table club. To expect us to bring in a 'winner' when we are in the state we are currently in is laughable in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to get Ancelotti and Wilkins in for example, but if we got Hughes who is still a young manager I wouldn't grumble. I think he's ideal for us at the moment.

this is the most imortant signing of the summer, sign a hughes = a meh at best from the fans and no doubt the best players in the team, sign ancellotti - deschamps - rijkaard and it sends a message right through the club as to what the ambitions are

People have to stop seeing this appointment in such black and white terms. It's not simply a question of the board deciding 'let's go and appoint Ancelotti or Deschamps or Rijkaard' - those men have got to want to come here. As of right now, we can't offer Champions League football, we can't offer the immediate prospect of challenging for Champions League football, we can't offer them the chance to contest the domestic league title and we can't promise them an unlimited warchest - all of which they may well find elsewhere from other prospective employers. We have to have some perspective that extends beyond our own bias and affinity for Villa in order to properly evaluate what our realistic options are. The signs are that it is going to be too much of a stretch to persuade David Moyes to leave Everton as we represent little more than a sideways step for him - once you accept this, you have to arrive at the conclusion that world-renowned coaches with an even higher pedigree are not going to think otherwise.

The board are in a much better position to make a good appointment than they were last year when circumstances couldn't have been more difficult - and this appointment will be one borne of pragmatism designed to get us competing at the right end of the table so that we may once again establish ourselves among the chasing pack and be able to challenge the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Everton. Only then can we realistically expect to mount a charge for that elusive Champions League berth because the plain facts of the matter are that we have slipped considerably down the pecking order.

We need a manager that will see the potential that is here, recognise the size of the club and the opportunity that it can realistically provide in the near future. A figure like Mark Hughes will see the job in its full light and be well aware of what needs to be done to claw our way back into contention. He's ambitious and still hungry to prove himself, knows the league inside and out and has proven he can adapt to the varying demands of different clubs with both slim and vast resources. I would be very optimistic he can at the very least get us back to where we were under Martin O'Neill and as much as I'd like to think we could make the kind of headline-shattering appointment that may arrive with all guns blazing and announce our newly drawn plans for European domination, to do so is as futile as it is delusional.

If, as reports indicate, Hughes is the chosen man then I think we can look forward to a new campaign in which we will be consistently competitive and go some way to restoring a reputation that has been tarnished and a position that we have slipped from. When we've accomplished that we can start thinking about what lies beyond.

so you think it is better to appoint a short term manager and then if we improve get rid of them for a better manager? rather than apoint a better manager to start with? really?

there are only 2 or 3 top teams in each league in europe so i think some managers may realise that they are not going to be managing the top teams each and every year as they are more than 3 top managers in most of the top leagues, so where does that leave them?

it leaves them managing teams not in the top 2 or 3.

ancellotti with wilkins was doing a great job, wilkins was removed which underminds the manager, results fell and the chairtman again decided to buy a forward which hasnt worked, rather like he did when he got shevchenko

i would rather aim high and fall short than settle for joe average and be happy finishing 6 to 10th each year which would seem rather likely under someone like hughes