Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

this is the most imortant signing of the summer, sign a hughes = a meh at best from the fans and no doubt the best players in the team, sign ancellotti - deschamps - rijkaard and it sends a message right through the club as to what the ambitions are

signing a top manager doesnt mean we will spunk money on players left right and centre but it does command respect from the players.

Im sorry but Houllier is certainly considered a top manager in the game. He came here, the fans turned on him and we had our worst season in years.

To the people thinking that getting in Ancelotti or Deschamps....what makes you so sure that they will do well here????

Id prefer a Moyes, Martinez, Lambert etc etc to an Ancelotti or Deschamps.

Because in France, Lyon can lose Benzema, Essien etc for huge amounts and then STILL remain at the top because players coming through are better coached than in England..The whole conveyor belt system is far stronger.. Its the same with Lille and Marseille.. These clubs are feeding top Premiership clubs and clubs like Real Madrid yet remain at the top..

French coaching has moved forward ten fold over the last few years..The footballers coming out of France are in the same bracket as Spain. Their on the ball skills and vision is way ahead on English coaching. France have appeared in 2 x world cup finals in 4 years..Spain won the last world cup.. The only reason Barca are ahead of many French clubs is because they can hold onto players whereas most French clubs are cashing in.

I would love Deschamps to join us and instill this modern football into the Villa system..Its almost what Houllier is trying to do, but he is too old..Deschamps is young, ambitious and very knowledgeable..Its the way forward for us as a club.

Hughes, Moyes..Just not good enough!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[im sorry but Houllier is certainly considered a top manager in the game. He came here, the fans turned on him and we had our worst season in years.

I hope your not suggesting the fans were in anyway to blame for us being in and around the relegation zone for the best part of 7 months. I went to all but a handful of games home and away and on the whole the supporters were superb given some of the tripe served up and the disrespect the manager showed us. He got everything he deserved given what was being served up and his behaviour. You reap what you sow.

As for him being a top manager. I am not sure he was but he certainly wasn't when we got him. He was very much yesterdays man and so it proved.

Time to move on thankfully and hopefully we get it right this time.

All I want is someone who will play football and give it a go in every game we play - I want us to try to win every game we play - there's nothing I saw last season from any opposition that we should be afraid of - we outplayed Man Utd with resrves and debutants, beat Liverpool, man city, Arsenal & played well vs Chelsea - there's no game we shouyld go into not looking to try to win teh game - we can't and won't win every game but there's no reason we can't try to.

I don't want any hold on for 0:0 draws - hoofball etc, I just want a manager who'll bring a football culture to teh club and we can start to try to play football teh right way from the 9 year olds to teh first team - if we can do this and keep it a constatnt sooner or later we'll reap the rewards. Players liek Downing and Young can coem and go - but if we have a deep inbedded philosophy they can be replaces - people

will want to come here - we have turned Barry, Milner, Young, now possibly Downing and Bent from pretenders to contenders and then into genuine first teamers for England

if Downing and Young wanna leave let tehm but bring in more of teh same it's not easy but if we get the right manager and the right system in place it can be done - we need to milk Houllier for all his knowledge as much as we can cos he has an unparelled history of success in terms of implementation and deployment of struictures

Because in France, Lyon can lose Benzema, Essien etc for huge amounts and then STILL remain at the top because players coming through are better coached than in England..The whole conveyor belt system is far stronger.. Its the same with Lille and Marseille.. These clubs are feeding top Premiership clubs and clubs like Real Madrid yet remain at the top..

No the french league is just shit, only one or two teams can win it and it just depends at the time!

French coaching has moved forward ten fold over the last few years..The footballers coming out of France are in the same bracket as Spain.

No the french had a good side 4 to 8 years ago, now they are all past it they are shit again as the last world cup showed!

No the french league is just shit, only one or two teams can win it and it just depends at the time!

Obviously wrong considering Lille won it this year.

No the french had a good side 4 to 8 years ago, now they are all past it they are shit again as the last world cup showed!

Yes of course the likes of Benzema etc are past it... i've heard it all now.

ancelotti always plays attractive footie, as for him not bringing through youth, ever heard of pato? also luis enrique seems to be on his way to roma, with ancelotti preferring to stay in the prem.

he has always working at the top of the game, both as a player and as a coach, and would be able to see what we lack to get there and i think he's intelligent enough to put us on the road to get there.

if we can't get him, i like deschamps too, and as people have said he might be an option for continuity with duverne etc.

i don't mind hughes, he can probably do a job for us, he was part of the transformation of united from being a strong side to winning regularly (in his second spell), so he can probably see what we are lackinng in order to get up the table. i just don't think he'd be as much of a draw for top players when we are outside of european qualification...

it's a massive appointment this one, we need to get the best that is available, and right now there are a lot of good candidates looking for work in the prem...

Ancelotti would be a dream appointment, i still cant get my head around some saying he wouldnt be right for the job!?

I think i would prefer Hughes over Moyes.

Moyes>>>Hughes for me.

Wholeheartedly agree with the first part though - but then that's nothing new with some of the mentals that lark around.

Ancelotti would be a dream appointment, i still cant get my head around some saying he wouldnt be right for the job!?

Moyes>>>Hughes for me.

Wholeheartedly agree with the first part though - but then that's nothing new with some of the mentals that lark around.

I dont think there is much in it between the 2 and i would be happy with either.

this is the most imortant signing of the summer, sign a hughes = a meh at best from the fans and no doubt the best players in the team, sign ancellotti - deschamps - rijkaard and it sends a message right through the club as to what the ambitions are

People have to stop seeing this appointment in such black and white terms. It's not simply a question of the board deciding 'let's go and appoint Ancelotti or Deschamps or Rijkaard' - those men have got to want to come here. As of right now, we can't offer Champions League football, we can't offer the immediate prospect of challenging for Champions League football, we can't offer them the chance to contest the domestic league title and we can't promise them an unlimited warchest - all of which they may well find elsewhere from other prospective employers. We have to have some perspective that extends beyond our own bias and affinity for Villa in order to properly evaluate what our realistic options are. The signs are that it is going to be too much of a stretch to persuade David Moyes to leave Everton as we represent little more than a sideways step for him - once you accept this, you have to arrive at the conclusion that world-renowned coaches with an even higher pedigree are not going to think otherwise.

The board are in a much better position to make a good appointment than they were last year when circumstances couldn't have been more difficult - and this appointment will be one borne of pragmatism designed to get us competing at the right end of the table so that we may once again establish ourselves among the chasing pack and be able to challenge the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Everton. Only then can we realistically expect to mount a charge for that elusive Champions League berth because the plain facts of the matter are that we have slipped considerably down the pecking order.

We need a manager that will see the potential that is here, recognise the size of the club and the opportunity that it can realistically provide in the near future. A figure like Mark Hughes will see the job in its full light and be well aware of what needs to be done to claw our way back into contention. He's ambitious and still hungry to prove himself, knows the league inside and out and has proven he can adapt to the varying demands of different clubs with both slim and vast resources. I would be very optimistic he can at the very least get us back to where we were under Martin O'Neill and as much as I'd like to think we could make the kind of headline-shattering appointment that may arrive with all guns blazing and announce our newly drawn plans for European domination, to do so is as futile as it is delusional.

If, as reports indicate, Hughes is the chosen man then I think we can look forward to a new campaign in which we will be consistently competitive and go some way to restoring a reputation that has been tarnished and a position that we have slipped from. When we've accomplished that we can start thinking about what lies beyond.

DelboyVilla wrote:

Obviously wrong considering Lille won it this year.

I w i l l t a l k s l o w l y t h e n j u s t f o r y o u , o n l y o n e o r t w o t e a m s a r e s t r o n g i n o n e y e a r , w h o i s I d o n't c a r e!

Yes of course the likes of Benzema etc are past it... i've heard it all now.

The side including Benzema are not as strong as the World Cup/Euros winning side, in fact Kairim wouldn't get in that squad IMO??? They are not exactly a sausage factory when it comes to top talent!

Moyes>>>Hughes for me.

I dont think there is much in it between the 2 and i would be happy with either.

Fair enough - it's entirely subjective really. I'd rather have Moyes as I think he's better than Hughes but not by a long way. I'd also say that I wouldn't be 'upset' with either of them but I would rather take a punt on Coyle/Lambert than either of them - for the main reason that they haven't been 'labelled' yet, as it were. (I would label Hughes a mid-table manager and Moyes upper-mid)

To the people thinking that getting in Ancelotti or Deschamps....what makes you so sure that they will do well here????

Most people are advocating the board trying to go and get them and in Ancelotti's case, as he is a free agent, why not give it a go?

If you don't ask, you don't get and in this game you may as well aim high.

Stu_The_Villan wrote:

Quote:

Most people are advocating the board trying to go and get them and in Ancelotti's case, as he is a free agent, why not give it a go?

If you don't ask, you don't get and in this game you may as well aim high.

He must be worth an hour of randy's time to interview him?? Totally agree!!