Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

WHat happens if we start next season badly (because it wont take long next term for the fans to turn on him) and his health then again suffers?

Alot of ifs and buts. I can just as easily say 'what if Houlliers replacement is shit and the fans turn on him'? Sack him and get somebody else in?

We need a bit of continuity after the start we had to last season.

Installing a revolving door at Bodymoor is not the answer im afraid.

Well said :winkold:

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. This must be avoided. If GH stays he must be able to contiune for a few years or if we hire a new manager it must be for the long term

Which is exactly why he has to go now.

If he stays, it'll only be for a year or 2 at the most. We need to get back to some kind of long term building program with a manager who's going to be in it for long haul.

WHat happens if we start next season badly (because it wont take long next term for the fans to turn on him) and his health then again suffers?

Alot of ifs and buts. I can just as easily say 'what if Houlliers replacement is shit and the fans turn on him'? Sack him and get somebody else in?

Yep, well said. Hence why it's not a good idea to stick with a manager that could leave us at any given moment, leading to another rushed appointment and beginning the entire saga all over again.

I think if GH was staying it would've been announced by now. Theres no reason to delay it, the medical side of things will have been proven one way or the other weeks ago, so for me it only leaves they are waiting for the season to finish and they will announce it.

Moyes please.

I think if GH was staying it would've been announced by now. Theres no reason to delay it, the medical side of things will have been proven one way or the other weeks ago, so for me it only leaves they are waiting for the season to finish and they will announce it.

Moyes please.

They could be waiting for the longer term Doctors prognosis before making any announcements I would think. I work in this sort of area, technically, Doctors take fecking ages to write reports etc. That said, they also tend to err on the side of caution.

Yep, well said. Hence why it's not a good idea to stick with a manager that could leave us at any given moment, leading to another rushed appointment and beginning the entire saga all over again.

Not neccessarily... Gerard Houllier can clean up and re-build the squad over the summer. He can lay down the right training methods over pre-season. The coaching/fitness and training team is in place, Houllier, G'Mac, Cowans and Duverne..The players now understand them and a connection has come about.. From the days of larking about in training, to no mobiles and taking it more seriously putting more effort in..Stability is taking place and even if Houllier has to take a back seat from working the touchline in the future, it dosnt mean we have to change the whole set up..This coaching team can still stay in place.

Houllier is a coach of coaches..He has helped train coaching staff in France. He will help G'Mac and Cowans..And if he does take the back step from the touchline, G'Mac will be in a possition to step in. Without it effecting the roots that growing and that were planted by this set up..There is alot more required in management than just working the touchline on a matchday..Houllier is very useful in the administration and scouting,developement,youth set up, signings, negotiations etc too..He will already "now" as we speak have player targets ready to be negotiated. No chance do alot of fans want all that thrown away..Alot of us want it to continue.

The team are at 100% Fitness for a reason..We are also now passing it around and working the oppossition..At times Yesterday we were passing the ball around and making Liverpool look ordinary. We are getting better.

And there is no need to throw all this work away..No need for manager polls on this site..We have a management team and its starting to show effect on the squad...YES its took time but we are moving forward.

I don't see any Doctor giving GH the all clear - any report will just state the medical facts - no surgeon will say 'do not return to club management'

I beleive the waiting will continue until we sign a player - ergo GH stays.

I actually think Randy is incapable of making a decision - thats 90% of why GH is staying.

Or he's already made a decision. If GH is fit enough to stay he'll stay and that's what Randy wants, no matter what you might think of that decision.

If the doctors says his health is good enough for continuing what he's started at vP I'm all up for it.

Someone said that we won a couple of meaningless games in the end of the season. I don't think Liverpool found it meaningless and I'm sure as hell Arsenal didn't. We beat them both and finished 9th. That won't paper all the cracks, but it tells me that things ain't that bad at VP as it first seemed. At least not anymore. There are good signs to be taken from the end of the season. And if he gets a full pre season to build his time, train them as he wants to and have them playing like he wants them to, then there's every chance that next season will be a good one.

Not neccessarily... Gerard Houllier can clean up and re-build the squad over the summer. He can lay down the right training methods over pre-season. The coaching/fitness and training team is in place, Houllier, G'Mac, Cowans and Duverne..The players now understand them and a connection has come about.. From the days of larking about in training, to no mobiles and taking it more seriously putting more effort in..Stability is taking place and even if Houllier has to take a back seat from working the touchline in the future, it dosnt mean we have to change the whole set up..This coaching team can still stay in place.

Houllier is a coach of coaches..He has helped train coaching staff in France. He will help G'Mac and Cowans..And if he does take the back step from the touchline, G'Mac will be in a possition to step in. Without it effecting the roots that growing and that were planted by this set up..There is alot more required in management than just working the touchline on a matchday..Houllier is very useful in the administration and scouting,developement,youth set up, signings, negotiations etc too..He will already "now" as we speak have player targets ready to be negotiated. No chance do alot of fans want all that thrown away..Alot of us want it to continue.

The team are at 100% Fitness for a reason..We are also now passing it around and working the oppossition..At times Yesterday we were passing the ball around and making Liverpool look ordinary. We are getting better.

And there is no need to throw all this work away..No need for manager polls on this site..We have a management team and its starting to show effect on the squad...YES its took time but we are moving forward.

You continue to ignore some of the wider problems like they can be glossed over.

Also, Gary Mack as Manager of a huge club like Aston Villa? Where are his credentials to do such a thing? Houllier as a DOF, yes, I think that has some merit but no way would I leave the day to day running to Mack. I would much rather get in a first class coach or another Manager.

It seems some people are becoming medical experts to prove their opinion on whether Houllier should stay or not.

Its worrying i agree, but surely Randy and co are not stupid enough to employ an obviously un-healthy man?

What in the past has shown that Randy is that stupid? He has done some stupid things in his time here (giving MON too much power) but nothing that blatantly obviously stupid and jeopardise the football club and i dont think he will do here.

Its daft to just decide Houllier is crap, not fit and will never do anything good; its very narrowed minded, especially as its been said that if we kept him he would relegate us, well that didn't happen.

You could argue before the season, a new manager coming in getting used to the place and the players and achieving a not far off position than the previous manager would be a good show?

Also its been said you can not argue look at points total, look at our position 10 games ago etc etc, well look at our position now 9th not bad really? Oh but we're only 2 points of 14th we only scraped it, we were lucky, Liverpool were not fussed etc etc etc. You cannot have it both ways!

I actually think Randy is incapable of making a decision - thats 90% of why GH is staying.

Or he's already made a decision. If GH is fit enough to stay he'll stay and that's what Randy wants, no matter what you might think of that decision.

OK fair enough. Thats probably the long short of it. IMO thats the wrong move - we could be manager hunting in Jan - where as if we do the deed now there are some very good managers available - I doub't Randy will get such a wide choice ever again.

If this goes wrong next season Randy and his board have to take the blame.

I have it on very good authority that Alex Mcleish will be the next manager. Selly Oak branch I believe

:lol:

EDIT: Forget it. I never get your jokes. I put it down to you not being funny

OK fair enough. Thats probably the long short of it. IMO thats the wrong move - we could be manager hunting in Jan - where as if we do the deed now there are some very good managers available - I doub't Randy will get such a wide choice ever again.

Randy has to take the blame no matter which thing he does..If he shows Houllier the door then gets Ancelotti on 3m a year and it all goes tits up(basically because Ancelotti has never developed or re-build a squad)then you will have all those that back this current system getting on Lerners back..."Why did you change a formula that was moving forward etc"...

I understand why Lermner is taking the stance he is..Houllier has come into a job where we had NOTHING..No scouts, no coaching staff(or very little),no fitness training, the players were suffering fatigue and injury, the players were spoilt,angry at MON departing or K'Mac not getting the job..Blimey this guy had it all to do and it takes time..Yet we have coaching staff now, we have scouts, we have fitness training..We have developement and players targeted to come in,players targeted to be removed etc..

Some of sit around thinking changing a manger is like changing a pair of socks..

I understand why Lermner is taking the stance he is..Houllier has come into a job where we had NOTHING..No scouts, no coaching staff(or very little),no fitness training, the players were suffering fatigue and injury, the players were spoilt,angry at MON departing or K'Mac not getting the job..Blimey this guy had it all to do and it takes time..Yet we have coaching staff now, we have scouts, we have fitness training..We have developement and players targeted to come in,players targeted to be removed etc..

Some of sit around thinking changing a manger is like changing a pair of socks..

Totally agree.

If its the same continuity weve just had, then we are truely in deep shite :winkold:

I see your point, but if its to work, then he has to be backed fully financially. He knows whats needed and how much it will cost to get back into the top six, so i guess if he stays, the question is then, how much ambition do we really have?

But its that continuity you mentioned, and the past season has been a nightmare with him in charge.

Its a huge risk, and like i said, it seems to be based on sentiment rather than football.

Anyway, its just speculation at the moment.

There are two gambles here, one is obviously Houllier's health and the second is that if he does stay, it means a large turnaround of playing staff, which is risky. Now this squad last year was 6th, and as soon as Houllier went sick, pretty much the same squad with the addition of Bent and Walker, played to their potential and got a creditable 9th finish. In between was awful and a lot of it wasn't down to purely football reasons. How much you put that down to coincidence is up to you, but for me there are too many failings on Gerard's part and too much risk in keeping him, especially when there most likely will be decent managers available this summer.

Randy has to take the blame no matter which thing he does..If he shows Houllier the door then gets Ancelotti on 3m a year and it all goes tits up(basically because Ancelotti has never developed or re-build a squad)then you will have all those that back this current system getting on Lerners back..."Why did you change a formula that was moving forward etc"...

What do you mean exactly when you say he had nothing ?

When most manager leave - what is it you expect them to leave behind ? - Given that most manager like to bring there own backroom staff - the fact that MON took Steve Walford, and John Robertson shouldn't really have created a big hole.

There seems to be a myth that a whole army of staff left last august - - which I don't beleive it true.

What in the past has shown that Randy is that stupid? He has done some stupid things in his time here (giving MON too much power) but nothing that blatantly obviously stupid and jeopardise the football club and i dont think he will do here.

The only big decisions he's had to make since taking over (prior to this) are:

1) The distribution of his resources to the manager

2) The appointment of MON's successor.

He's arguably got both of them wrong, although it's difficult to blame him for MON's poor signings.