Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

the more i see of paul lambert the more i like him

he is the new david moyes in my opinion.

Some of us have been saying this for a while. Lambert will be a top manager. I think Eddie Howe will be too, although he's earlier in his development.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is worth hearing from outside Villa from a decent source Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen would be very interested in talking to Villa if the opportunity arises .

Sounds good to me.

Am I the only one not over the moon at the thoughts of Moyes coming in? You know what you're getting from him. Dour negative football, a team difficult enough to beat that will guarantee you a certain league position. Never in trouble and never doing much else. Does that sound familiar? I had that with MON. It was great at the time but we've been there already. I'd nearly rather go with someone with a little more flair about the game they try and play. Someone like Hughes. He has never done a bad job in management from Wales to Fulham. Obviously both are in employment, but if we were to nab one of them I'd just be a little underwhelmed by the prospects of Moyes in charge.

I agree.

I think I'd prefer Hughes to Moyes, not to say that I'd be unhappy with Moyes of course.

But for some reason, Hughes seems more exciting to me than Moyes...

Shame MON did not return the support shown by our great supporters this season.

Because we've all heard both sides of what went on haven't we. We don't know what went on, so I'd keep an open mind if I were you.

Exactly, we do not know what went on between the Board and MON. But as I see it now, MON decided to leave five days before the season started for his own reason, and certainly not for the good of the club or the supporters.

MON let us down, simple as.

Really warped perspective of what it is to be employed if you ask me. Because you don't know what went on you clearly can't make that judgement call. What if something went on that made his position untenable (hence the tribunal coming up soon!)

Anyway that has bugger all to do with this topic so its best left alone

But all the indications to this date point to MON being told to work on a different financial budget from previous seasons. Is that such a big deal? I mean it has not discouraged David Moyes finding ways to compete in this league, if anything it has earned him praise for his perseverance. Anyway, all I know is MON "resigned" five days before the season started and the rest is fair speculation IMO.

My original point was he did not return the terrific supporter he received over the four seasons at this club, and I still stand by my view.

Am I the only one not over the moon at the thoughts of Moyes coming in? You know what you're getting from him. Dour negative football, a team difficult enough to beat that will guarantee you a certain league position. Never in trouble and never doing much else. Does that sound familiar? I had that with MON. It was great at the time but we've been there already. I'd nearly rather go with someone with a little more flair about the game they try and play. Someone like Hughes. He has never done a bad job in management from Wales to Fulham. Obviously both are in employment, but if we were to nab one of them I'd just be a little underwhelmed by the prospects of Moyes in charge.

I agree.

I think I'd prefer Hughes to Moyes, not to say that I'd be unhappy with Moyes of course.

But for some reason, Hughes seems more exciting to me than Moyes...

How Mark Hughes can excite anybody is beyond me.

What about Walter Smith? He'll be out of a job in the summer and it sounds as though Villa approached him last summer when O'Neill left.

Any thoughts?

Does he not want to retire? He did not enthrall me when he was with Everton, and I can not see him helping us progress in the future if he was appointed.

But all the indications to this date point to MON being told to work on a different financial budget from previous seasons. Is that such a big deal?

I think you'll find MON was quoted on that and didn't have a problem with it, not only that but he was also (which is often conveniently forgotten) offloading the players he no longer required, Shorey deal was done only two days before he resigned, Sidwell was going to Fulham until Hodgson went to Anfield and Hughes replaced him. Luke Young was then going to Anfield but didn't want to drop his wages. It's not like MON wasn't doing what was asked of him. There's something else to this story which has yet to emerge

Anyway, all I know is MON "resigned" five days before the season started and the rest is fair speculation IMO.

My original point was he did not return the terrific supporter he received over the four seasons at this club, and I still stand by my view.

"Resigned" or forced out by circumstances changing, making him think his position was untenable i.e. constructive dismissal. The only speculation we have at this point has come from inside the club. There are two sides to every story and until the other side says something we have a completely unbalanced picture. Like I said I'd reserve judgement on that one until more of the story emerges, which it will do in the next few months I should imagine.

Football Supporters need to realise that managers and footballers are human beings too and "doing it for the fans" these days is by and large an empty cliche, everyone is in this sport for their own ends. Whoever heard of someone not resigning from work over something that affected their ability to do their job because they were "thinking of the customers". Why would football be any different to that?

I wouldn't be too dissapointed with Mark Hughes. He has a solid track record (Got Wales into top 30 in world I believe, got Blackburn to the edge of the European places consistantly, Almost got City into top 4 but wasn't given time, and has Fulham playing nice stuff and in the top half). He has no failures on his CV and is willing to sign from abroad (Santa Cruz) - we could do a lot worse.

Paul Lambert has gained a lot of respect within football for his managerial abilities and success. He was also well respected as a footballer. He gets 100% out of his players week in and week out which is something that we've missed at AV, and his team always look well organised.

Appointing a relatively young up and coming manager could be seen as a risk, but if he keeps up his current standards PL could be a success in the PL.

If Houllier were to be offered the part time position of Director of club planning (not football) with the clear remit that Lambert was in charge of all team decisions then it could work.

Houllier nowhere near the club please in any capacity it would just muddy the waters and make any potential new manager very very nervous, especially as Houllier has failed since being here

New managers for me in no particular order

Coyle

Moyes

Lambert

if its mark hughes, at least we might finally see stephen ireland get back to form....... as I know hughesie love him as a player

if its mark hughes, at least we might finally see stephen ireland get back to form....... as I know hughesie love him as a player

And Stephen Warnock?

I think that's a little harsh, most of the time we play Everton, they seem to have the better of us. Like earlier in the season, we beat them 1-0, we got out played and they were far from negative.

I think at the start of his reign, his football was pretty negative but in recent years, they seem to play decent football, look to get it on the floor and pass it. Although suffer hugely with injuries to bring consistency in that when key players regularly get injured, it's hard to find a rhythm.

And Stephen Warnock?

Only Stephen Warnock can get Stephen Warnock back in form.. he will do it elsewhere anyway, though I have my doubts. Sell him for £4-5m or whatever we can get and get rid and get a proper LB in who doesn't pick up yellow cards as many as Rooney scores goals.

another reason to avoid Hughes then. Ireland should be shot before ever being let near the first team again