Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

With McClaren, we're a big enough club for him usually, but it would be a fairly large risk for him to come in with 8 games left and try and keep us up. I don't think he'd risk his reputation on it, and I wouldn't blame him.

There's pretty much no chance GH is getting sacked now though. I think we're stuck with him until the bitter end.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McClaren is a proper manager and coach. He's probably gained a lot from his European experiences but unlike Houllier is a modern manager. We could do a lot worse.

My real worry is Lerner. I know a lot of you hear love the guy but I'm not sure he really undertsands our game and, most importantly, our business!

The thing about Lerner is he's unquestionably loyal. It looks like he's told Houllier he's got the job come hell or high water. Sometimes you've got admit defeat and change it.

The thing about Lerner is he's unquestionably loyal. It looks like he's told Houllier he's got the job come hell or high water. Sometimes you've got admit defeat and change it.

This is what worries me. Lerner may be vindicated in the end, but he's taking an unreasonable gamble in sticking with Houllier and a gamble than only a small fraction of Villa fans would take.

He shouldnt be shouldering the blame for this season along with Houllier, but rather look at it objectively and accept that he's made a mistake and do something to rectify the situation.

With McClaren, we're a big enough club for him usually, but it would be a fairly large risk for him to come in with 8 games left and try and keep us up. I don't think he'd risk his reputation on it, and I wouldn't blame him.

There's pretty much no chance GH is getting sacked now though. I think we're stuck with him until the bitter end.

Here lies the problem with anyone coming in. The job is a poison chalice now especially if there's player power or splits in the dressing room.

I once read that after a poor deafeat Paul Sturrock cancelled training and made his players work on a building site for the day. To teach them how easy they had it. I'd love a manager with that sort of attitude right now.

I once read that after a poor deafeat Paul Sturrock cancelled training and made his players work on a building site for the day. To teach them how easy they had it. I'd love a manager with that sort of attitude right now.

I think it was Jock Stein or Mat Busby took his players down a mine to remind them that playing football for a living is a joy.

Here lies the problem with anyone coming in. The job is a poison chalice now especially if there's player power or splits in the dressing room.

Indeed, its a massive gamble. But I think anyone coming in now would have to be brought in with the understanding of both parties that the club could go down and that there would need to be a plan for such an eventuality.

You wouldnt actually blame any manager coming on now if the club were to get relegated, well some might.

Indeed, its a massive gamble. But I think anyone coming in now would have to be brought in with the understanding of both parties that the club could go down and that there would need to be a plan for such an eventuality.

You wouldnt actually blame any manager coming on now if the club were to get relegated, well some might.

No you wouldnt blame them if the club went down and you're right it is a gamble. Its getting someone to come in at this stage is the problem. Lambert for example isnt going to give up his moment of glory to manage these rocket polishers.

Simple changes to the set up like playing 442 and putting Young back on the wing would probably do it or maybe not I dont know.

I'm fairly sure McClaren would sort it out.

The job was a poison chalice for Houllier but he's had plenty of time to change it now.

Just to post what I wanted to last night, before the thread got locked.

I asked another poster a direct question and you posted a pathetic response intimating that I want Villa to get relegated?

No, I didn't. Here's my post:

Oh how fun it must be, to gloat now that we've lost 1 more game than last week.

Let's hope we lose all our games, then everyone can go "I knew we'd go down with Houllier in charge Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I win!!!!111111 lolzzzzzz"

Your original post was pretty pathetic. My response was pathetic. My second sentence was nothing to do with you. So no, I didn't intimate that you want Villa to get relegated.

Obviously if you have that much time on your hands then feel free.

Completely irrelevent. How do you know how long it took me to post?

Like I've said, it's not the first pathetic post I've read of yours and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I personally think that a lot of my posts are fair and reasoned.

Oh so I'm entitled to an opinion? Just as you are? But the fans who booed should stay away from the club? Make your mind up son!

Nope, wrong again..

Here's my post:

**** all this "get in your seat by 2.30" and "get behind the team in the 6 pointer", I'd rather you all **** off home if you're going to boo and call for the managers head in the middle of a **** game that we're losing 1-0.

I didn't say fans SHOULD stay away. I said I'd "rather" they did.

Again, I'm stating my opinion. I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

Stop contradicting yourself, it just looks silly...

I'm not contradicting myself.

PS: holtender4life, apologies for the pathetic argument. If someone wants to challenge what I'm saying and get it completely wrong, as VillaAndLoyal is and has, then I feel the need to defend myself.

.... so, Steve McLaren?

I'd go for that, he's a decent manager, despite his England career.

Steve McLaren!!!!!! The man was sacked from his last job with Wolfsburg for having them down the bottom of the table in a relegation battle. The Middlebrough fans were throwing their season ticket books at him after we drubbed them 4-0 at home under DOL. He is no better than what we currently have. The man would make us a laughing stock.

Steve McLaren!!!!!! The man was sacked from his last job with Wolfsburg for having them down the bottom of the table in a relegation battle. The Middlebrough fans were throwing their season ticket books at him after we drubbed them 4-0 at home under DOL. He is no better than what we currently have. The man would make us a laughing stock.

Name me one better and dont say Moyes or Coyle or Lambert because they're not coming.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the board.

Haven't read this thread, and I might be the only person left who still doesn't want to get rid of Houllier.

But if we do have to replace him at the end of the season, I'd love to see us go after Dechamps from Marseille. He's won everything there is to win and would command respect, he carries himself well and seems at ease with the media and he knows the English game. He's worked wonders at Marseille and managed to take them on to the next level. He did brilliantly at Monaco as well, over achieving massively compared to the squad and resources he had, and although Juve may have been a bit of an easy job in the circumstances, he did it well.

He'd be difficult to get and may prove beyond our reach, but he'd be my first choice and we should move heaven and earth to get him, if a replacement does become needed.

I think it was Jock Stein or Mat Busby took his players down a mine to remind them that playing football for a living is a joy.

would love to see it happen but i todays primadonna, player power world their would be a number of transfer requests handed in

Name me one better and dont say Moyes or Coyle or Lambert because they're not coming.

This

Sometimes I do wonder about Villa fans. They focus on the negatives of the manager rather than the positives. They also come across like we have a god given right for a top manager, when we clearly dont.

No no please not Sam Allardyce he plays crap football. Hel fit in bloody well then with this shower of shit!!!!!

No not Steve McLaren he got sacked from Wolfsburg. Yeah, he also won the league with them and got MIddlesbrough - Thats Middles 'fookin' brough to the UEFA cup final.

When are people going to clickl on (and I get slated everytime I say it), we are not that bigger club at all

McLaren is good but was awful at Wolfsburg and similarly to GH didnt get a great amount of time and fell out with the big players like Diego, Grafite and Dzeko

maclaren is no answer. when fans are delighted he got the england job, and after one good year with a good side in a crap league, he then got sacked in his next job thereafter. His "recovery" from the wally brolly ness is hardly inspiring.

Why doesn't he decide to leave on a mutual agreement ? Surely he can't be enjoying himself as Villa manager.

I know it will cost the club to pay him off, but it saves him and the board further embarrassment.

I think we should get Kevin Mac back in for the rest of the season. Everyone keeps saying that we can't go down because of the qaulity of our players. If this is the case then HAPPINESS in the players needs to be restored NOW as we are worringly running out of winnable games rapidly. With Arsenal and Liverpool as our final games we have to secure safety in the next few matches ! Otherwise I can see us going down as the shock team on the last day. Players were happy to play under Kev ! If he keeps us up then give him the job for next season.

Look how Roy Hodgson instantly turned the Baggies around. And i.m.o Di-matteo was manging better than Houllier.

Action needs to be taken.