Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Hutton was fine, there was alot worse than him today. He is no worse than Luke Young. Yes he did make a couple of mistakes, but when match fit I believe he will be a decent player.

:lol:

Defensively, he was dire. His positioning and closing down is very poor. Hopefully he will get better with games, but his lack of Football over the last 12 months, shows.

He really wasn't that bad, considering he is fitting in to a new side and it was only his second match, he was better than the first match (granted not that hard to be) but I think his positioning being poor was due to his lack of football and fitness (as you also suggested) :thumb: .

He looked a threat going forward and think he will still work out to be a good solid signing at the least

Hutton was fine, there was alot worse than him today. He is no worse than Luke Young. Yes he did make a couple of mistakes, but when match fit I believe he will be a decent player.

:lol:

Defensively, he was dire. His positioning and closing down is very poor. Hopefully he will get better with games, but his lack of Football over the last 12 months, shows.

He really wasn't that bad, considering he is fitting in to a new side and it was only his second match, he was better than the first match (granted not that hard to be) but I think his positioning being poor was due to his lack of football and fitness (as you also suggested) :thumb: .

He looked a threat going forward and think he will still work out to be a good solid signing at the least

He just needs games. In a way, its sink or swim for him, because we dont have anything else.

He's quick, gets forward enough and has a great cross on him (much better than L Young's crossing). His downfall at the moment is his defending and yes, Spurs fans I know say he's not good at defending. I've seen enough of him (for Spurs and Scotland) to suggest he's not worse than Walker at defending so I see that as an improvement.

He has all the attributes to be the best RB in the league outside the top 5 teams, which is the league we're competing in, so I don't know why people are dismissing him as "cack". I think he'll come good after a solid run of games.

• 4 weeks later...

I really think we need to show the bench to Hutton, and give Herd more time. The kid played one game at RB and was our best player by a country mile and won MOTM. Then he has barely seen the field since, that must be truly damaging for his confidence. So far, Hutton has only shown quite poor defending and has offered very little going forward (a poor man's Kyle Walker). After such a gutless performance yesterday, I would rather see kids play with something to prove, and I feel Herd will offer us a lot more given the chance.

His positioning was absolutely shocking yesterday. Willing to give him a chance but with the whole McLeish appointment it means we need results and quick.. so if that means dropping him for someone who has had a better game recently then so be it

If you sit behind a goal at home matches, particularly when we're attacking the other goal, keep an eye on him and you'll notice it more... he drifts into the centre far too often and leaves Bannan covering him, thus forth leaving the midfield exposed to any attacks cutting down the wing he's had to leave wide open. This really needs to be worked on as his attacking, generally, tends to be okay. But he's no Kyle Walker and this is why I think we notice his negatives more

It's obvious there's a decent player in there somewhere but I don't get why whenever a player joins Villa they take the absolute piss to find form. It's happened with so many of our players who have turned out alright in the next season... it's now more than never we need our performers to, well, perform, as we could face even more of a hit in attendance / revenue if we don't sort this out ASAP - and the hangover from that will stay with us for a long, long time. Kind of like my hangover from a day of boozing in Manchester

Â