The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

White House briefing, here.

ISIL has been I think a galvanizing threat around the Sunni partners in the region. They view it as an existential threat to them. Saudi Arabia has an extensive border with Syria...

I know we often joke about Americans and their struggle with geography outside their own borders. But this is a prepared briefing from people who are about to launch another illegal war in the Middle East, briefing the press about what and why and how it's justified.

They think Saudi shares a border with Syria. This is how well informed they are.

These people scare me. It's like a bunch of monkeys playing with hand grenades in a nursery, only a lot more aggressively macho.

Why care? **** 'em and **** us, too.Wail all we want, nowt's for changing. Let the buggers blow each other up and try and keep 'em as far away as poss.

That resounds in my head in a Shropshire accent, recited by some bloke in a pub. But it reads like a more famous line that I should be ashamed for not knowing...

Why care? **** 'em and **** us, too.Wail all we want, nowt's for changing. Let the buggers blow each other up and try and keep 'em as far away as poss.

That resounds in my head in a Shropshire accent, recited by some bloke in a pub. But it reads like a more famous line that I should be ashamed for not knowing...

The former is more accurate - it is just my inner Alceste shrugging as loudly as he can.

It took me around three days to understand the political makeup, power and the aims/goals of each organisation involved within this region by reading up on history and recent actions by each group.

I'm rather at a loss to explain why Langley's bods who are doing research for their country and at a guess have first class degrees or further in subjects such as political science and international relations are unable to type in 'middle east map' in google to ascertain that Syria does not share an extensive border with Saudi Arabia before telling the world that Syria shares an extensive border with Saudi Arabia.

Borders may be porous, but geography is geography. 

....But this is a prepared briefing from people who are about to launch another illegal war in the Middle East, briefing the press about what and why and how it's justified....

How is bombing the bejesus out of a bunch of head chopping terrorists "launching an illegal war"?

• Like 1

....But this is a prepared briefing from people who are about to launch another illegal war in the Middle East, briefing the press about what and why and how it's justified....

How is bombing the bejesus out of a bunch of head chopping terrorists "launching an illegal war"?
You do know that there are laws governing the conduct of military operations in other people's countries? And that simply disliking them isn't a basis for overriding that?

But if it's head chopping that you are concerned about, get thee to Saudi Arabia, Grand HQ of Headchoppers R Us. Plenty to get exercised about there. Don't lose your head, though.

The previous invasion of Iraq was illegal. This current program of US bombing runs inside Syria and Iraq has been approved by both Syria and Iraq, although the latter was never in doubt.

But it seems the US and whoever else is roped into this has the tacit "support" of Assad, and by extension, Iran, who both also want IS crushed. Strange days.

You do know that there are laws governing the conduct of military operations in other people's countries? And that simply disliking them isn't a basis for overriding that?

Yes Peter, quite aware. However Maqroll has already demolished your claim that an intervention against IS would be illegal.

But if it's head chopping that you are concerned about, get thee to Saudi Arabia, Grand HQ of Headchoppers R Us. Plenty to get exercised about there.

*Straw man alert*  Are your seriously comparing the Saudi criminal justice system where certain crimes are punishable by death, with the wholesale slaughter of entirely innocent civilians by the Islamic State terrorists?

Don't lose your head, though.

Have a word with yourself.

• Like 1

But if it's head chopping that you are concerned about, get thee to Saudi Arabia, Grand HQ of Headchoppers R Us. Plenty to get exercised about there. Don't lose your head, though.

to be fair they actually don't chop peoples heads off at all.

They chop their bodies off.

Â