The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Why don't we do something like adhere to the values for which we, the west, are supposed to be fighting, whether actually or metaphorically, and attempt to promote the world that we, the west, supposedly want?

So, don't descend to the level of people who are happy to be barbaric (I have no problems with the categorization of their actions and behaviour as such - in reference to an earlier post) and don't treat the rule of law, whether it be domestic, international or specific treaties, as something that can be expediently set aside.

• Like 3

Why don't we do something like adhere to the values for which we, the west, are supposed to be fighting, whether actually or metaphorically, and attempt to promote the world that we, the west, supposedly want?

So, don't descend to the level of people who are happy to be barbaric (I have no problems with the categorization of their actions and behaviour as such - in reference to an earlier post) and don't treat the rule of law, whether it be domestic, international or specific treaties, as something that can be expediently set aside.

So what do you suggest we do to him then ? Put him on medication for a few years to cure his mental illness and then let him out in society and hope it worked ?

So what do you suggest we do to him then ? Put him on medication for a few years to cure his mental illness and then let him out in society and hope it worked ?

What?

Is that the other option to the rack?

I suggest that we try to be the people we aspire to be (by doing the kinds of things I posted above) - if he's a UK citizen and he finds his way here, under UK jurisdiction, then he is tried for the crimes of which he would be accused (and if found guilty is sentenced accordingly).

Destroy him on the battle field, have him killed in action, both perfectly legitimate.

But if captured, then it's the boring old due process that separates us from them. That's what we did with Rudolph Hess, you're surely not going to suggest this maggot is worse than Hess? Or have our collective standards dropped?

No reason he can't spend the next 50 years in a small room seeing his own actions played over every time he closes his eyes.

Incidentally, if he is ill, if he does have a psychosis and can be treated - are you suggesting curing him would be a bad thing? Would that be the case for all the mentally ill?

• Like 3

I think there will be a coordinated terrorist attack, but I think its more likely to be many Lee Rigby style takedowns, possibly celebrities or politicians. Maybe the odd explosive too.

Edited by dodgyknees

I think terrorism on the streets of the UK/West is a very real possibility following on from IS and their returning recruits.

It does seem though that the security forces have a pretty good idea of the identities of most if not all of those that have joined them and one way or another you have to suspect that the vast majority will be intercepted before they reach our streets.

I think few will manage to return to their former lives and homes or to pose a threat to the populations of those nations.

It has been rather down played in the media but not that long ago they hit the jackpot in terms of a cache of memory sticks belonging to IS which are believed have the mother load of intelligence on the organisation, its fighters, the identities (new and old) of the tourist fighters and the organisations quite staggering finances. 

If the creature (sorry, I cannot fathom the strength to call him a man) is caught, I want him trialled etc etc.  Then, if found guilty, I want him to live in complete isolation.  He should speak to absolutely nobody for the rest of his life, not even the people shoving his food under his cell door. 

No music, no talking to anybody, no noise - just feed him until he's no more.

He's taken every human right away from those people he's severed the heads off.  All the aspirations, dreams, thoughts, opinions of those people are now gone, forever.  Their families will have to deal with the knowledge that those beheadings will be saved on peoples hard drives and used on some weird sites.  How will those people ever forget these actions on a daily, hourly basis?

I don't want to torture these people - even though most of the sinews in my body are telling me a little physical harm wouldn't be much of a problem, I just want them to live completely purposeless lives, where their own minds will work against them.

• Like 4

I think terrorism on the streets of the UK/West is a very real possibility following on from IS and their returning recruits.

It does seem though that the security forces have a pretty good idea of the identities of most if not all of those that have joined them and one way or another you have to suspect that the vast majority will be intercepted before they reach our streets.

I think few will manage to return to their former lives and homes or to pose a threat to the populations of those nations.

It has been rather down played in the media but not that long ago they hit the jackpot in terms of a cache of memory sticks belonging to IS which are believed have the mother load of intelligence on the organisation, its fighters, the identities (new and old) of the tourist fighters and the organisations quite staggering finances. 

Interesting, I did not know that.

:thumb:

Â