Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pleased with the ambition shown by the owner, and I hope it continues long in to the future. I have already glanced at a couple of media outlets about the deal, many stating that it is a sign of desperation and panic by Randy.

could be said .....sign of a good signing too.

too many journo's happy to see us languishing and when we fight back it's all nego.

How can that fee be justified? Or is it value for money? Just the going rate for a young-ish, English goal-scorer?

When Bent completes his move to Aston Villa this week, the reasons for which are discussed elsewhere on this site, he will carry the burden of yet another, on the face of it, ludicrous transfer fee.

But look at the statistics and they prove Gerard Houllier is buying class, and the most precious commodity of all.

Bent, over the last five years, had guaranteed goals at the top level... even when playing for sides that have struggled at times.

It is the perfect fit for Villa. And it is a devastating loss for Sunderland, no matter how the exit is packaged by the club.

Statistics revealed by Opta show that since August 2005 Darren Bent has scored 81 Premier League goals.

Only Wayne Rooney and Didier Drogba, playing for title chasing more talented sides, have more with 82 each. (15 of Bent’s goals have been penalties though compared to three of Drogba’s and five of Rooney’s)

But he is up there shooting with the best. Top English goal scorer in the Premier League in 2010.

For example, since August 2009 when Bent moved to Sunderland from Spurs (hurt by Harry Redknapp saying his wife Sandra could finish some of the chances he was missing), only Drogba and Carlos Tevez have scored more Premier League goals, with 37 to Bent’s 32 in 57 games.

That sort of form is priceless to Villa, or any other club needing goals to haul themselves out of relegation trouble.

Bent has 11 strikes this season at a time when he has not looked his usual sharp self. If he can double that at Villa, and lift them well clear of the drop, he will pay for himself.

Study the cost of relegation £50 million, turmoil and recriminations, and an investment now in Bent, no matter how inflated the fee seems, is wise.

Sunderland can also use Opta analysis to show how from their point of view they could be cashing in on a prize asset at peak value.

It has not gone unnoticed, by from fans to manager Steve Bruce, that Bent has missed a few chances recently. Most alarmingly during the clash with Blackpool when Sunderland had 32 shots and failed to score, eventually losing 2-0.

Last season at his peak Bent scored a goal every 141 minutes, this season that has drifted to every 218 minutes.

His chance conversion rate has dropped from a goal every four chances to once every six chances.

His shooting accuracy has fallen from 57% to 41%.

None of this represents a poor return, he was still highly regarded at the Stadium of Light and undoubtedly the main man. But it will give Bruce and chairman Niall Quinn leeway to explain why he is leaving – quite apart from his transfer request.

So when Villa pull off this deal remember they are spending cash earned from cashing in James Milner to Manchester City for pds18 million.

I admire Milner as a character and a player, but Villa fans may conclude they may get more of a tangible return from having Bent in their side right now.

He will be a big loss to Sunderland, and a big signing for Houllier. Perhaps the catalyst for a recovery.

Bent will also be missed in the North East. He took an interest in the region, was keen to get out and about, and was good at helping nurture and guide Sunderland’s youngsters behind the scenes with his friendship.

Villa will be signing a gem of a person and a player, and he’ll prove his worth

Mirror

I thought that would be another journo having a go at the club for spending 18mil on Bent, but it wasn't a bad read really.

Why are people saying we have signed him when a fee has not even been agreed?

Don't jump the gun people!

A fee has been agreed though. Both clubs have just agreed to not leak it so this can go through as smoothly and quickly as possible.

Is that 100% certain or just what we hope is the case?

Why are people saying we have signed him when a fee has not even been agreed?

Don't jump the gun people!

A fee has been agreed though. Both clubs have just agreed to not leak it so this can go through as smoothly and quickly as possible.

Is that 100% certain or just what we hope is the case?

100% certain. We bid for him on Thursday and it only just leaked to the media this morning when final stages were underway. Me and MM knew about it from about then but were both told to be kept quiet so it would happen sooner which is the same as what MM is doing now with any other transfer targets so they all come off without a bidding war. He'll be unveiled as a Villa player tomorrow.

Where is Paulanddonya !!!!!!!

Obviously lurking but can't handle the same after his embarrassing episode last night. Just goes to shows that pointless, unfounded negativity can come back and make you look like a fool.

maybe you want to go back a few pages and see he has been big enough to apologise, he may go of on one everyday but give the guy credit for holding his hands up.

I saw it after i posted that, it's hard work keeping up with all this today!

This will be an excellent signing. In the short term he'll help get us out the shit but looking longer term a natural goalscorer as been our missing link for years and if we can keep our better players ( this is essential ) and supplement them with a few quality signings over this and the next window and if the manager can then get it all to gel then we could again be challenging for a top 4 finish next season. Obviously seems like a pipe dream looking at our position now but we have some very good players many of whom are young and haven't reached their full potential yet and if it all clicks who knows where we could be in 12 months time.

For now though I'm well pleased with this. Its been a shit season but things are suddenly looking up. If he signs in the next couple of days it should help put a few thousand on Saturdays gate and make for a positive atmosphere which can hopefully inspire us to three points. This signing will be like a cloud lifting and announces to the rest of the Premier League that this season is a temporary blip and that we don't plan on being outside the top 6 for long.

http://tinyurl.com/5v2v8ro

Aston Villa: Darren Bent deal smashes transfer record - and Lerner determined to keep Young and Downing

DARREN Bent will be officially unveiled as Villa’s £18 million star striker today after chairman Randy Lerner astonishingly smashed the club’s transfer record.

And manager Gerard Houllier will NOT be forced to cash in on prize assets Ashley Young and Stewart Downing this month to finance Villa’s biggest ever deal.

Bent’s transfer fee could rise to as much as £24 million, depending on add-ons, which would double the claret and blues’ previous highest £12 million outlay on a player.

The astounding deal for the Sunderland favourite is a statement of intent from Lerner of his determination to revitalise Villa after their alarming tumble down the Premier League this season.

Lerner’s decision to sanction such a marquee signing is also a unanimous show of faith in Houllier and the board’s commitment to back the Frenchman’s revolution.

It takes Villa’s spending in the past week to £23 million following the arrival of Cameroon midfielder Jean Makoun for £5m plus from Lyon at the weekend.

Bent boasts 153 club goals in 363 appearances, including 129 in 312 league games, while his Premier League tally is an impressive 82 goals in 190 games.

He burst onto the scene with a glut of goals at Ipswich and has been prolific

at all of his clubs, Charlton, Tottenham and Sunderland.

Bent travelled down to the Midlands yesterday to complete a medical, agree personal terms and put pen to paper on a four-and-a-half year deal.

The 26-year-old goal-getter handed in a transfer request yesterday to force the Black Cats’ hand with Steve Bruce was reluctant to sell.

It is understood that Bent will join Villa’s top earners on more than £60,000 per week – a £20,000 rise – so his wages will not disrupt the pay structure.

The Villa Park faithful will get their first glimpse of Bent on Saturday when he is expected to make his debut at home to title-chasing Manchester City.

Blackpool have now formally rejected Villa’s £3.5 million second offer for Charlie Adam.

Houllier is pondering whether to up the bid again or turn his attention to another midfield target.

The arrival of a left-back would complete his January business but, contrary to reports Villa are not interested in Wigan full back Maynor Figueroa and maintain there has been no approach from Liverpool after a temporary move for Stephen Warnock.

I'm pleased with the ambition shown by the owner, and I hope it continues long in to the future. I have already glanced at a couple of media outlets about the deal, many stating that it is a sign of desperation and panic by Randy.

Had he gone to Man City would they be saying the same thing?

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

End of the day, we've signed a PROVEN Premiership goalscorer. Absolutely brilliant and I couldn't give a flying feck what the media think about it.

I'm a bit fed up with the media MON lovefest. Randy couldn't trust him with any more transfer money with so much in wages sitting on the bench and some utter tripe signed with Randy's good money. I wish the press would get real and stop talking bollocks. This is nothing more than Randy supporting the Manager that he appointed. Two good draws in our last three games might be good evidence that we are turning things around, regardless of any new signings, Walker apart.

End of the day, we've signed a PROVEN Premiership goalscorer. Absolutely brilliant and I couldn't give a flying feck what the media think about it.

I'm a bit fed up with the media MON lovefest. Randy couldn't trust him with any more transfer money with so much in wages sitting on the bench and some utter tripe signed with Randy's good money. I wish the press would get real and stop talking bollocks. This is nothing more than Randy supporting the Manager that he appointed. Two good draws in our last three games might be good evidence that we are turning things around, regardless of any new signings, Walker apart.

The deeper story is though - that MON should have sat tight - lerner would have given him the cash - if he had shited the benchwarmers

I'm a bit fed up with the media MON lovefest. Randy couldn't trust him with any more transfer money with so much in wages sitting on the bench and some utter tripe signed with Randy's good money. I wish the press would get real and stop talking bollocks. This is nothing more than Randy supporting the Manager that he appointed.

Very much this, SSN were running a downing to liverpool story all of 5 minutes after they launched the bent story, no quotes nothing of substance at all, purely based on Villa not having any money, which again is obviously based on nothing of substance

The red tops tomorrow will be interesting, a mix of waste of money to stuff like that mirror article, through to MON not being backed and Houllier being shit

hopefully more will be like durham on TS (cant believe i just said that!) who today criticised MON for pissing cash away and slaughtered holloway for his comments

Jas, I totally agree with you. I can see the national media trying to heap more pressure on us and Darren with these silly unimaginative notions of panic. The media is a battle in it self in the Premiership; we need to be ready for these questions.