415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He lost me after the Man City game and also because of the Liverpool comments. He has to win me over. Good showing today but it is no good seeing that and then being shit again in our next game.

This is where I stand aswell, of course I want him to do well but if he ain't doing the job properly i'm not going to back him

I'm not a fan of Houllier because I've seen little to make me approve of him. He's largely been a disaster.

It would take a miracle to make me become a fan of him, as I just dislike Houllier. I don't like an awful lot about him, I don't like an awful lot of what he's done here (by which I mean asides from having a team he's responsible for the success of plummet in quality it seems), for example the Liverpool debacle, the Ireland hilarity, etc etc.

For me to approve of him, however, I'd quite like to see us actually start to be good again. I'd like to see us be consistantly as good as we can be. If he can manage to make us do that, I might not want to see him leave very quickly.

Until that happens, I'll just be deeply critical of him. Pointlessly deeply critical of him because we're as likely to sack him as we are to discover he can fly, but I'd rather be vocally critical rather than have silence taken as an approval.

I'm not a fan of Houllier because I've seen little to make me approve of him. He's largely been a disaster.

It would take a miracle to make me become a fan of him, as I just dislike Houllier. I don't like an awful lot about him, I don't like an awful lot of what he's done here (by which I mean asides from having a team he's responsible for the success of plummet in quality it seems), for example the Liverpool debacle, the Ireland hilarity, etc etc.

For me to approve of him, however, I'd quite like to see us actually start to be good again. I'd like to see us be consistantly as good as we can be. If he can manage to make us do that, I might not want to see him leave very quickly.

Until that happens, I'll just be deeply critical of him. Pointlessly deeply critical of him because we're as likely to sack him as we are to discover he can fly, but I'd rather be vocally critical rather than have silence taken as an approval.

I asked you to look forward to avoid the obvious repetition of the Liverpool issue and for you to avoid the past tense. :bonk: Been and gone, as far as I'm concerned, no point in crying over spilt milk.

To summarise your post - you'd like Villa to do well and then for GH to leave slowly?

You asked me to look forward to excuse Houllier his failings, and I won't do that, it's pointless. He can't escape his failures, and as things stand now it's what came before at Villa that defines him. And it's been shite by and large. Almost exclusively shite.

For a summary - I don't like Houllier, he's been crap, I'd much rather he wasn't Villa manager. While he is I'd rather he does well because whats good for Villa is good for us as fans obviously. I'd have sacked him by now, and until he starts to outdo himself and turns us around consistantly, I'd rather see the back of him. If he can make us better, I might not want to see him gone immediately.

I'd still prefer he wasn't here mind.

You asked me to look forward to excuse Houllier his failings, and I won't do that, it's pointless. He can't escape his failures, and as things stand now it's what came before at Villa that defines him. And it's been shite by and large. Almost exclusively shite.

For a summary - I don't like Houllier, he's been crap, I'd much rather he wasn't Villa manager. While he is I'd rather he does well because whats good for Villa is good for us as fans obviously. I'd have sacked him by now, and until he starts to outdo himself and turns us around consistantly, I'd rather see the back of him. If he can make us better, I might not want to see him gone immediately.

I'd still prefer he wasn't here mind.

Even if we do well over the next few seasons, you'd prefer he left? He could have a great 36 months and you'd still not forgive him for his first 4? :?

You misunderstand me. I dislike Houllier, saying nothing of his success or not. I wouldn't like him if he managed someone else. I'll never like the guy. I might eventually approve of his management, if he won me round with success on the field (which currently based on his track record seems unlikely but lets be hopeful, eh, as we're stuck with him), but I still wouldn't like him.

If I did come to approve of him as he had become successful with us, I wouldn't, like I do now, hope he's sacked immediately obviously. Thats all I was saying before.

It's a bit like if Redknapp managed us. I hate Redknapp, but if he was successful, I wouldn't want him sacked. If he failed though, I'd bay for his blood. Currently I don't like Houllier the man, and he's been crap - I'd rather see him go immediately.

Personally I've been changing my mind on Houllier on an almost week-by-week basis. Pretty pathetic but there you go. I haven't felt as strongly about wanting him to go since that Liverpool night, though City away was pretty god damn sickening.

Recently it has sunk in that Houllier will be at the helm til, at the very least, the end of next season, bar some drastic results that would see us go down.

Time to just strap in and support the guy, he hasn't earnt it, but I would rather say we got behind him and he failed than we never gave him a real shot.

I don't like the spin-off debates about MON, or people making ridiculous excuses for Houllier, or the underperforming players. But I really want him to succeed here and create a sustainable foundation that will echo for a decade, the likes of which MON, for all his worth, could not.

You can support the team without supporting the man in the dugout.

Yeh, but 'letting him know' that he's crap, ie chanting about the sack, booing... adds extra pressure on him and the players. Our performances so far this season have put us under enough pressure already, I'd like to think our fans won't contribute any more til the seasons over.

unfortunately he doesn't quite have the personnel to play the style of football he is trying to bring to the club. Carew was useless and petrov/nrc are the most static CM players i have seen in a long time - they don't look for the ball.

I think playing Gabby on the left wing is a sackable offence in itself. You have to wonder what Houllier is thinking sometimes.

I support Houllier, but to be honest that really is a baffling decision...makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I thought the most common sensical thing to do would be to play the players in there natural positions!

I think playing Gabby on the left wing is a sackable offence in itself. You have to wonder what Houllier is thinking sometimes.

I support Houllier, but to be honest that really is a baffling decision...makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I thought the most common sensical thing to do would be to play the players in there natural positions!

the only sense i can make of it is to help out Clark at left back. When playing on the wing Gabby really puts in a shift, tracks well and still has the pace to support the front man. Would much rather see him as an out and out striker though.

Â