Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Like others have mentioned Houllier has to back Carew whilst he is still here as he has few options. Carew might get his chance against Birmingham and he could do a great job but GH knows he needs Carew on-side. If he says "we are looking for another striker as I'm not confident in Heskey or Carew" this would have a massive negative affect on the player.

Secretly however I would not be surprised if Carew goes to WBA and Houllier has someone else lined up to replace him.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Independent"]Seven Football League titles. Seven FA Cups. Five League Cups. Oh, and one European Cup. Aston Villa are steeped in silverware, but they go into today's Second City derby at Birmingham City with Gérard Houllier claiming that Premier League survival will be like adding to their haul.

"At the moment our trophy is to get out of the relegation zone," said the Villa manager. "You need to have long-term targets but in the short and medium term that's our aim."

He added: "I believe in the team and the squad I have. The determination of the senior players is there and so is the hunger of the young players. I don't think it helps to be panicky."

The "R" word, banned by some managers, is sprinkled throughout Houllier's remarks. "We're in a battle to avoid relegation," he said bluntly. "It's better to be honest with the media and the fans. It's a fact. We're in the bottom three and the target is to get out."

Houllier has been in such a parlous position only once before. "I was bottom with Paris St-Germain. It was the same scenario: we had injuries and lost confidence. We had a top-class player who lost his mother. He had eight goals when she died and in the rest of the season he got one. But we finished mid-table."

Villa, to an even greater extent than a Birmingham side just one point ahead of them, have underachieved. Houllier called them "unlucky", and in terms of injuries to senior players such as captain Stiliyan Petrov and vice-captain Nigel Reo-Coker, he had a point. Yet when he said they were also "unlucky in the way games have turned against us", he was rather stretching it. "We've lost 14 points from leading positions. If we'd lost just half of that we'd have 28 points."

Martin O'Neill left with six successive wins over Birmingham. Houllier's first derby, in October, was a 0-0 home draw and last month Villa lost 2-1 away with a Carling Cup semi-final at stake despite looking likely winners for long spells.

"This is the biggest game of the season," he said. "It's massive for us. At the same time I've said to the players, focus on the game and the result will take care of itself. We're in charge of producing something on the field but it's very important not to be obsessed by the stakes. The players are up for it. They'll be ready. They started talking about it early, which is a good sign.

"The local boys are obviously relishing it," Houllier added. "Marc Albrighton felt miserable not to play in the first game because he was suspended and for the second one he had appendicitis."

Albrighton will start today, but Jean II Makoun, the 27-year-old Cameroon midfielder who Villa signed yesterday, will not play. Houllier is also keeping his opposite number Alex McLeish guessing as to whether John Carew will return alongside serial derby scorer Gabriel Agbonlahor.

I think the non-celebration was a signal of 'ok, but let's win this'.

Before Makoun/Walker arrived I wanted him gone, but he's earnt a stay of execution in my eyes. If not also for making the entirety of a transfer window an interesting period, not just the last 2 days.

I'm going to give GH the benefit of the doubt on this one. We got a good draw and performed ok. GH is signing players where we need to strengthen (apart from up front) and we are out of the bottom 3 for now.

Glad we didn't lose for GH's sake because it would be horrendous sacking him and then waiting for a new manager and missing out on transfer targets. Now GH needs to be backed and hopefully everything will start to turn around.

Anyone See him telling all the players to go an applaud the fans?

Yes. Also a lot of managers don't jump around and celebrate, depends on their management style. The same ones probably don't go over the top when a teams loses.

Well if the players attitude today was anything to go by then he may well be winning them round as they put in a very good shift, apart from Downing who I thought bottled every 70/30 in his favour never mind 50/50.

He as some way to go to win me over but credit where its due Walker is an inspired signing by the looks of things especially going forward and I have high hopes for Makoun. Most importantly the vast majority of the players now seem to be going out and putting the effort in and you can't ask much more than that as we have some decent lads at this football club and if you can get them all pulling in the right direction we won't go far wrong.

Well if the players attitude today was anything to go by then he may well be winning them round as they put in a very good shift, apart from Downing who I thought bottled every 70/30 in his favour never mind 50/50.

He as some way to go to win me over but credit where its due Walker is an inspired signing by the looks of things especially going forward and I have high hopes for Makoun. Most importantly the vast majority of the players now seem to be going out and putting the effort in and you can't ask much more than that as we have some decent lads at this football club and if you can get them all pulling in the right direction we won't go far wrong.

Yep. It does seem slowly and finally surely the players have sort of accepted Houllier and everyone seems to be together. If Aston Villa play as a team, we'll have no problems in staying up. Let's just hope so anyway.

Here's how I think/hope this year is gonna go

We finish strongly in mid-table. Houllier overhauls the squad and brings in some quality players over the summer and gets the players playing his way. From there we can push on next season.

Agreed.

Â