Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

I thought I would join the tone of this entire board lately and just make it plain that unemployment is very high here in the States right now and I blame Houllier for it. I also blame him for global warming and the fall of the Roman Empire. Anybody who says otherwise is blindly ignoring the facts that are plain for all to see.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to do a near enough complete turn around !!

I have spoken to two people tonight, who have both have info about what has gone on. One person gave info from an ex-player who has connections at Villa, and the other, also an ex-player, who although doesn't have connections, still does a lot of work at the Villa via being a Sky pundit at some of our games.

Both stories and both informants are totally unconnected, and gave similar accounts, although the one was a lot more in depth.

I am not going to give any details, names or anything as it would be unfair on the people who told me, unfair on the people who told them, and could even be liable.

But all I will say is, if true, and I can't see why it would be as they are both credible and it does make sense, GH has a lot more hs plate than we know, is in no way to blame - is slowly doing something about it by way of there will be several people exiting Villa this month - and could not sort this before now.

So, although I still can't fathom putting Gabby on the wing, and Ash up front - I'll give him untl the end of Jan to see if what I have been told, bears fruit (and one has today !)

I don't believe GH would send us out to deliberately lose a game;
Drat! I guess you are right. Will have to find some other explanation for some of our more woeful performances this season in that case... :suspect:

Very funny. But just in case it gets let go, are you now suggesting that Houllier is instructing his teams to lose?

Luckily, and it's worth pointing out, this poll and discussion can only have a tiny bearing on AVFC, at the most. You guys may pay your ST fees but you must surely see that whinging on here can have no real effect.

The decision, as you would expect, is one for the board and it has been made. It should be clear at this point that this thread has become nothing more than a battle of semantics and I expect it to be closed soon.

I am not a season ticket holder but I love Villa. When they lose, I am pissed off. But, seriously, how much can someone dwell on such a dead debate?

In my mind Houllier has until the end of this month to show he has the players playing for him, to show he has the team playing with some shape, to purchase wisely (I don't expect much in January), but to most importantly start picking up points. I wouldn't ever consider sacking a manager before his first 2 seasons in charge unless things were seriously wrong....Houllier, I've never rated, but I was prepared to afford him that time. However he has managed to mess up so impressively I'll go back on that principle if we're not showing signs of improvement imminently. It's last chance saloon for GH to keep my backing.

The decision, as you would expect, is one for the board and it has been made. It should be clear at this point that this thread has become nothing more than a battle of semantics and I expect it to be closed soon.

I am not a season ticket holder but I love Villa. When they lose, I am pissed off. But, seriously, how much can someone dwell on such a dead debate?

Yes, because a football board have never backed a manager and then sacked him a week or two later, right?

It's not a dead debate, it's an ongoing debate, and if we lose today there will be more calls for his head, and if we lose to Blues they will grow louder and louder.

The board, unless they have buried their heads in the sand, will continue to assess his position, whatever they say in public. Equally, Ged might just decide to walk away if he keeps losing and the fans keep chanting against him.

And once again it's excuse after excuse after excuse.

I'm gobsmacked that some seem to think our current position is acceptable.

I'm still confident he'll be gone soon, our next 4 league matches are difficult and the important fans have already turned. Just be patient this useless old word removed will be gone soon.

Big John, I don't know how you read into it what you have.

No Villa supporter is happy with their team's current position but a number do not see the situation as you do.

I don't think anyone is saying Houllier is without fault, but he has been hugely undermined by what he has inherited (and injuries) and only now has a genuine chance to put the matter right.

We have no choice but to see how it goes over the next few matches.

I am going to do a near enough complete turn around !!

I have spoken to two people tonight, who have both have info about what has gone on. One person gave info from an ex-player who has connections at Villa, and the other, also an ex-player, who although doesn't have connections, still does a lot of work at the Villa via being a Sky pundit at some of our games.

Both stories and both informants are totally unconnected, and gave similar accounts, although the one was a lot more in depth.

I am not going to give any details, names or anything as it would be unfair on the people who told me, unfair on the people who told them, and could even be liable.

But all I will say is, if true, and I can't see why it would be as they are both credible and it does make sense, GH has a lot more hs plate than we know, is in no way to blame - is slowly doing something about it by way of there will be several people exiting Villa this month - and could not sort this before now.

So, although I still can't fathom putting Gabby on the wing, and Ash up front - I'll give him untl the end of Jan to see if what I have been told, bears fruit (and one has today !)

And I bet what you have heard isnt far off the lines I mentioned earlier?

"Once you get favourtism in the workforce under one regime..Its very hard for a new regime to take control, as the workforce will be very protected of their favoured status which the earnt under the old boss..And will most probrably be reluctant to change..In some cases even trying to sabotage the company in protest of the old boss having departed!"

Big John, I don't know how you read into it what you have.

No Villa supporter is happy with their team's current position but a number do not see the situation as you do.

I don't think anyone is saying Houllier is without fault, but he has been hugely undermined by what he has inherited (and injuries) and only now has a genuine chance to put the matter right.

We have no choice but to see how it goes over the next few matches.

I agree with this John.

I do see BJ's point of view as well.

It can only be other problems for so long, at some point Houllier is just continuing not to work and could take us down.

A new manager always has to stamp his authority on the club, the players as professionals have to take this on board.

Its obvious that Houllier will change how training works etc thats his prerogative as the boss. If players are kicking up a fuss because its not the MON way they are used too, then we shouldn't just pamper to them and continue to do everything the MON way, thats just not productive either.

Our defence played well last season (well the first part of it) now they are shit, should Houllier just go back to the MON way to keep players happy and improve our defence? Thats nor productive and damaging in the long run, as its doin something the way of the ex manager, the two styles will class even more down the line.

Its obvious MON's control and persona had a massive impact on the way things were done.

Our current league position puts more pressure on Houllier, if they didn't like how things were being run but we were higher up they would have to put up with it.

I would much prefer our manager to try and do what he thinks is correct, rightly or wrongly, players should not decide anything that important.

This a long list of ridiculous injuries has not helped.

But we should just continue as Houllier struggles to get to grasp of things and get his point across? No, at some point it will have to change, i hope its not too late.

Houllier has failed in every sense of the word - I can't really see how you can seruiosly argue otherwise.

True there have been injuries, but the sides put out against Man City, Spurs, Sunderland were pretty close to full strentgh.

Ive been following villa for over 30 years - And either at villa or other clubs - I haven't known a manager win 3 games out of sixteen, slide into the relegation zone - then suddenley turn it round and storm up the table. Sadly I don't see GH doing it either.

Its a tall order for a new bloke coming now - but with GH we are walking towards relegation - I know Randy wants to give him a chance - but the longer he leaves it the worse it will get.

There is quite simply no way back for GH.

Ive been following villa for over 30 years - And either at villa or other clubs - I haven't known a manager win 3 games out of sixteen, slide into the relegation zone - then suddenley turn it round and storm up the table. Sadly I don't see GH doing it either.

Its a tall order for a new bloke coming now - but with GH we are walking towards relegation - I know Randy wants to give him a chance - but the longer he leaves it the worse it will get.

Surely your contradicting yourself there?

Houllier having almost full strength team yet nothing happening.

Yet a tall order for a new bloke? The new bloke would have a full strength team that MON did wonders with?

Why a tall order?

Hodgson has just left Liverpool, Houllier will not have much time at all being in a worse position.

Different situation ...Hodgson was at 'Pool before the start of the season and had chance to set things his way.

Surely your contradicting yourself there?

Houllier having almost full strength team yet nothing happening.

Yet a tall order for a new bloke? The new bloke would have a full strength team that MON did wonders with?

Why a tall order?

OK fair point.

What I mean't was it won't be easy for a new manager to turn this around - the longer we leave it the harder it gets - new manager won't guarantee our survival.

I beleive GH has shown nothing in 3/4 months - and this will continue until the end of his reign.

New = Fighting Chance of staying in the prem

GH = relegation.

He has had pretty much a full strength team for his last 4 matches and we've got a massive 1 point against a team who are playing as shit as us right now. We also got easily beat by 10 man spurs and embarrassed by city resting their best players.

Even if we do stay up I see little point sticking with houllier, to me he's already shown enough to suggest he'll never take us past what the last bloke did.

I hear he's trying to make us play better football, clearly those people don't attend many games.

I hear his contacts will help us sign better players than we have in the past yet we're doing a team we considered competition last year a favour by loaning a kid with no premiership experience, loaning a bloke who hasn't been bothered about playing first team football for awhile and the great Omar Cummings. I doubt houllier will sign anyone who performs better than dunne, Carew, Milner and young.

Hodgson has just left Liverpool, Houllier will not have much time at all being in a worse position.

Different situation ...Hodgson was at 'Pool before the start of the season and had chance to set things his way.

I was going to say that John, about Hodgson having more time at Liverpool to buy players and sorting the team out in the summer, but some on here wouldn't care about that.

OK fair point.

What I mean't was it won't be easy for a new manager to turn this around - the longer we leave it the harder it gets - new manager won't guarantee our survival.

I beleive GH has shown nothing in 3/4 months - and this will continue until the end of his reign.

New = Fighting Chance of staying in the prem

GH = relegation.

What if the new manager comes in and half the first team get injured and the other half dont like him and are pining after the old manager?

Look i'm not defending Houllier and are as worried as the next fan, but Lerner wont get rid yet and we just have to hope Houllier gets his point across the the players respond.

Also it's different that hodgson took over a Liverpool side on the slide after a poor league finish whereas houllier took over a team that had just delivered their best season in years, but I guess some people wouldn't care about that.

Redknapp showed that a good manager doesn't need a whole summer to actually do well.

Â