Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

His press conference today, GH busting out the jokes

"I belong to this exclusive private club of four people under great pressure and I'm delighted to be in such company"

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote in this early because I think it's like asking if you think Heskey should have shoved Henderson. Nobody can think it's going swimmingly, but GH is here. I am convinced he's going nowhere until the end of the season at least. Whether I like it or not is kind of beside the point. It's done. He's staying. That's my opinion. I'll back him, not beucase "he needs more time." But because he is Villa's manager now. I hope he has spectacular success and I will continue to provide whatever support I can.

Having said that, if you think he should leave, waive your banner that says so. It won't make him leave, but it might impress on everyone the urgency that things improve. And there is certainly that urgency that we improve.

His press conference today, GH busting out the jokes

"I belong to this exclusive private club of four people under great pressure and I'm delighted to be in such company"

I'd like some of what ever he's on, i wouldn't mind a bit of fun seen as its friday :)

If I have a concern, then that is it: that Houllier is inexperienced with a relegation battle. Most of the other managers around us are the exact opposite

Thats a good point but the thing is, Houllier being an arrogant french tosser and all that, would he like the fact that he got Aston Villa relegated on his CV?? I dont think so. He had the chance to walk in December (apparently) but didnt, he said hes here to stay until the board say otherwise. This tells me that Houllier thinks he can get us through this. And i would say i think he can aswell. Teams have been in worse positions than we are now at this stage and got out comfortably. Plenty of times. Add to that the league is so tight this year then it would be easier than ever to pull away from relegation zone.

We need a few players in to freshen things up and we could be out of this mess by the end of next month

I would back him in this window. We've always said he (any manager...) needs at least 1 transfer window to at least attempt to start putting his own stamp on the squad. I would then act around mid-Feb if the threat of relegation was still a significant one.

I can't help but blame the players - whoever caused trouble and difficulty resisting any hope of Houllier having a positive influence on the club are a disgrace to me. They get paid an enormous amount of money and are employed by the club, to be run by this manager. I have very little respect for footballers..

Very much agree with this. I certainly am looking forward to seeing many of the leeches leave our club. They shame there profession.

If I have a concern, then that is it: that Houllier is inexperienced with a relegation battle. Most of the other managers around us are the exact opposite

Thats a good point but the thing is, Houllier being an arrogant french tosser and all that, would he like the fact that he got Aston Villa relegated on his CV?? I dont think so. He had the chance to walk in December (apparently) but didnt, he said hes here to stay until the board say otherwise. This tells me that Houllier thinks he can get us through this. And i would say i think he can aswell.

I don't see how being 'experienced at relegation battles' is a good thing. That just means they're shit enough to regularly be down there. If Houllier is not experienced at relegation battles then it must be because he is experienced at actually winning football games and staying away from the wrong end of the table. We are down there now but we are at a low ebb. We'll bounce back. Even the smallest bit of form will see us fine. And I'd much rather have a manager who knows how to win games than have any that are experienced in not winning them.

I am convinced he's going nowhere until the end of the season at least. Whether I like it or not is kind of beside the point. It's done. He's staying. That's my opinion. I'll back him, not beucase "he needs more time." But because he is Villa's manager now. I hope he has spectacular success and I will continue to provide whatever support I can.

yep.

It's fascinating how people's opinion towards Houllier seems to soften in the days after a defeat.

You could count the number of people sympathising with Houllier on Wednesday night on one hand, but a couple of days later and the balance is much more even.

That is true based on the fact that we did come in 6 place last year - but how did the team play in the last half of the season? We played some of the worst football and barely scrapped home 6 place.

We have taken that form with us into this year and then had a lot of injuries. Maybe the squad is just not so good after all??

I don't think it's fair to say we scraped 6th place.

Wasn't it only in game 37 (of 38) that we lost out on 4th spot?

I think it would be more accurate to say that we were pipped at the post for a CL spot.

I agree it is wrong to say we played "the worst" football towards the end of last season. If you split the season into two, our results were:

1st half

Pl19 W10 D5 L4 F29 A17 Pts35

2nd half

Pl19 W7 D8 L4 F23 A22 Pts 29

So there was a falling away in the second half of the season where we slipped from the fourth place we were in after 19 games.

But it was hardly a disastrous slide - and the second half of last season was far better than the first half of this - if only we'd have had 29 points and a positive goal difference at the halfway stage tghis season - we'd have been 7th!

Gazton's recollection is on the other hand a bit rosy. At game 36 last season we were 5th, with the same points as Spurs, but we slipped to sixth with two defeats in the last two games (the first to Man C, who pipped us to 5th).

To say this season is just a continuation of the form of the second half of last season is way off line. This season is a COMPLETE DISASTER compared with I can't even remember when.

Thats a good point but the thing is, Houllier being an arrogant french tosser and all that, would he like the fact that he got Aston Villa relegated on his CV?? I dont think so. He had the chance to walk in December (apparently) but didnt, he said hes here to stay until the board say otherwise. This tells me that Houllier thinks he can get us through this. And i would say i think he can aswell.

And I'd much rather have a manager who knows how to win games than have any that are experienced in not winning them.
The only thing is though, he hasn't won games and its not looking like we will at any stage. his biggest problem right now is it seems as though he has lost the squad. why has no one came out and backe him even?.

That is true based on the fact that we did come in 6 place last year - but how did the team play in the last half of the season? We played some of the worst football and barely scrapped home 6 place.

We have taken that form with us into this year and then had a lot of injuries. Maybe the squad is just not so good after all??

I think it would be more accurate to say that we were pipped at the post for a CL spot.

I agree it is wrong to say we played "the worst" football towards the end of last season. If you split the season into two, our results were:

1st half

Pl19 W10 D5 L4 F29 A17 Pts35

2nd half

Pl19 W7 D8 L4 F23 A22 Pts 29

So there was a falling away in the second half of the season where we slipped from the fourth place we were in after 19 games.

But it was hardly a disastrous slide - and the second half of last season was far better than the first half of this - if only we'd have had 29 points and a positive goal difference at the halfway stage tghis season - we'd have been 7th!

Gazton's recollection is on the other hand a bit rosy. At game 36 last season we were 5th, with the same points as Spurs, but we slipped to sixth with two defeats in the last two games (the first to Man C, who pipped us to 5th).

To say this season is just a continuation of the form of the second half of last season is way off line. This season is a COMPLETE DISASTER compared with I can't even remember when.

we have always slipped in the second half of the season anyway.

He very nearly beat Chelsea and has only recently had all of his senior players back. We need a striker badly, but I think if he can put Albrighton back into the starting 11 and get a goalscorer in, we'll be more than OK. At least he has finally realised that, while our youngsters are very good in isolation, they can not all be used at the same time without destroying the rigidity of the side. But I think he went too far in the opposite direction by taking out Marc who was our 2nd top scorer and who set up a lot of the rest. The next month is key for me. I've definitely gone from being a fan of his appointment to being extremely sceptical about it all but I'm not going to knee-jerk when everyone always said that he'd need this transfer window as soon as he came in anyway.

My opinion hasn't softened. Should have been sacked by now.

Me neither fella.

Infact, since the Liverpool game I've been living in hope, but you just know that the board wont sack him, as has been confirmed since.

True, but we was so much better in the first half.

Yeah we know the squad is shit...
I dont know why people keep saying this, the manager is twice as shit if this is the case. he's the one who has come in and up ended these player and has dragged all there confidance down.

Â