The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

I pretty much don't care. The government tracks your movement every day on hundreds of CCTV cameras every day, especially in the big cities or if you're a minority. So why should I worry about a company that make phones. I have nothing to hide and I wouldn't be surprised at anything big companies or the various governments would do. This kinda news is just to worry people.

My thoughts also.

Meh.

Android phones record user-locations

Smartphones running Google's Android software collect data about the user's movements in almost exactly the same way as the iPhone, according to an examination of files they contain. The discovery, made by a Swedish researcher, comes as the Democratic senator Al Franken has written to Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs demanding to know why iPhones keep a secret file recording the location of their users as they move around, as the Guardian revealed this week. Magnus Eriksson, a Swedish programmer, has shown that Android phones – now the bestselling smartphones – do the same,
It seems that the phones use the data for geotagging photos and stuff.

On the apple phones the data isn't sent back to Apple, no one collects it.

Google haven't said whether they collect the data from Android phones.

If it was sent back to Apple/Google, that would be bad. As it is, it's fine by me - it's the digital equivalent of a diary - "today I went to London" - it's only (possibly) an issue if it is stolen from your house.

But if is stored on your phone, it is visible to apps. It might not be sent back to Apple/Google, but who knows that a malicious app might do? Personally I don't care either, I'm well aware that the powers that be know where I am at all times (I actively share it with at least two organisations), but I've no idea why anything would need to keep a record of this information on a mobile device.

Anyway Blandy, you aren't allow to talk about Android in this thread. Call yourself a mod? :mrgreen:

Has anyone used the home sharing with iPhone4? Ive set it all up and dont seem to be getting the 'shared' option in my iPod app.

I've made sure all the the passwords are in and correct amd home sharing is enabled via iTunes.

Just nothing I do gets the 'Shared' option there,.

Anyone else had this problem?

Yep. Looks lovely but a glass back is a bit risky.

It shattered because I dropped it without the case on a few weeks back and chipped the glass on the back. So the fall today just broke the rest of it.

Very annoying. As I said I'll probably be able to get it fixed, but it's still an unwanted ballache

Anyone know of any stores in Brum/West Mids that currently have stock of the iPad 2 wifi 16gb?

Checked with Apple and they don't have them in but wondered if people know of some random stores that are less likely to have sold out?

Would ideally like to pick one up this weekend so can't be arsed with ordering off the net...

Picked up an ipad 2 yesterday, I wouldn't normally be so indulgent but I sold a load of stuff that was lying around gathering dust on fleabay so had a bit of spare cash.

Have to say i'm pretty impressed so far and a different experience to the iphone.

Any advice on which stores have got them in stock?

My Iphone is broke, been like it for about a month now where I can't pick up service anywhere and when I do, sometimes it still doesn't even let me text. I can't ring anyone while no one can call me. I recieve most of my texts a day late etc..thought it might be the sim card but tried others and not working. Think going to have to take it back.

Also got an Ipad 2 the other day, haven't had a play round with it yet though.

Picked up an ipad 2 yesterday, I wouldn't normally be so indulgent but I sold a load of stuff that was lying around gathering dust on fleabay so had a bit of spare cash.

Have to say i'm pretty impressed so far and a different experience to the iphone.

Any advice on which stores have got them in stock?

I just kept checking the usual comet,argos etc...

Reserved online with Comet and picked up the following day.

There is about a 2 week wait still direct from apple.

Excellent you did well there!

Still a bit new to it but the ones I have so far:

Sky News

Flipboard - Presents your facebook,twitter etc.. in a magazine style format.

GarageBand

imovie ( I had the iphone version but it upgraded to the ipad for free

Dropbox

ebay

4 OD

Iplayer

Crackle

Quickoffice

weather HD

Dead Space (was 59p from £5.99 over Easter)

Most of the above are free with the exception of quickoffice and garageband.

Cheers for the app tips - had got about half of those after a look on the store but will pick up the rest of the free ones now too.

Yeah it was odd -rang yesterday and no stock, rang this morning on the off-chance and they had some stock back in. Lots of foreign guys in the queue who all new each other queuing up to get 2 at a time to obviously sell on. Shame they can't do anything about that as it takes the piss that they can make quick cash off it.

I can't see a FB specific app for ipad so think I'll check that Flipboard one out.

Dropped my iphone today. Despite the rubber case, the back shattered completely.

Should be covered on my insurance, still **** annoying though!

I've just done the same thing with my 3gs, dropped it and the screen has shattered.

I can still just about use it but at some point I'm going to slice my finger open with it... need to contact my insurance company, I'm just hoping I'm covered for it.

As long as your covered for accidental damage then you'll be fine. The screen shattering is definitely more than cosmetic.

Mine's the back of my phone so not sure it'll count.

Â