Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

Ah, we're on the same page. Your list for a good review read like you just wanted the facts of the matter with no subjectivity.

no most people try to be query with their reviews like they are trying to make it all "top gear" and say how the graphics are a bit like "curdling cheese on a piece of glass" or some other querky whitty quote.

As though they've been posessed by Ross Noble.

I like to read a review like I have written it, but also get genuine information on the graphics, audio, storyline, gameplay, mobility of characters, glitchys, what they would change, what is awesome, what is poo.

also rating each segment individually for an overall score.

I hate things like IGN 96% what the **** does that mean?

Graphics 7/10

Audio 9/10

Gameplay 7/10

Storyline 10/10

mechanics of game 8/10

what is great: slow motion kills and sandwiches

what is poor: lots of glitches in level 3 that need patching

it's a bit like; half life 2 crossed with resident evil.

DONE

I like to read a review like I have written it, but also get genuine information on the graphics, audio, storyline, gameplay, mobility of characters, glitchys, what they would change, what is awesome, what is poo.

I'm the same, and it's why I love Gamecentral (and of course it's previous iteration ;)), they constantly give the very best unbiased reviews I've ever read. Let down by the fact they have no in-game vids and the like sure, but for pure reviewing content their second to none

no most people try to be query with their reviews like they are trying to make it all "top gear" and say how the graphics are a bit like "curdling cheese on a piece of glass" or some other querky whitty quote.

As though they've been posessed by Ross Noble.

also rating each segment individually for an overall score.

I hate things like IGN 96% what the **** does that mean?

Graphics 7/10

Audio 9/10

Gameplay 7/10

Storyline 10/10

mechanics of game 8/10

what is great: slow motion kills and sandwiches

what is poor: lots of glitches in level 3 that need patching

it's a bit like; half life 2 crossed with resident evil.

DONE

Ah. To be fair I don't like much of the comedy/quirky simile stuff some people put in their writing, thankfully it doesn't come up much.

The problem with any numerical ranking for anything is it's all pretty meaningless. What is the difference between an 8/10 for graphics and a 9, really? Is 5/10 average, or is 6 or 7/10 average? At the end of the day the number doesn't really let you know much, beyond 'Roundly it's shit/bad/alright/decent/good/great/superb', which ultimately isn't all that useful.

Ok so I've probably sunk about 80 hours into the game and what amazes me talking to some of the people in work also playing it. I don't recognize what they are on about!!! The artifacts, spells, missions, dungeons, companions, etc that they talk about are different than my own. Almost as if we have been playing different games. It's astonishing that people can play so much of this game (I'm up to level 30) and have nothing in comon. Just goes to show you the scale of it all.

On a side note after so much time in the game I have still yet to visit Falkreath and only paid fleeting visits to Winterhold, Dawnstar and Windhelm. I fell like I have barely scratched the surface!!!

This is unfinished work, but might be of interest re: games reviews; (link)

Oh, and to get it back on topic (well, sort of) it seems Bethesda decided to model all the geometry from Morrowind and Cryodiil (Oblivion) into Skyrim too. You can go there yourself in the PC version of the game. (MASTER RACE)

I wonder how long it will be before there is a mod which opens up the areas to players?

Yeah my friend watched the guy get butchered doing that.

I was on last night and joined the Dark Brotherhood.

I also cleared a few caves and now am level 21 and have about 6k.

got married to Ysolda and still have Lydia in my house as well.

think they are enjoying a bit of les action right now.

I'll probably go on tonight and go hunting for them so they can cook me dinner.

You must be mistaken good Sir. Ysolda is MY wife.

last thing I saw was Lydia and Ysolda in my bedroom talking so.....

You must be mistaken good Sir. Ysolda is MY wife.

Beat the main questline. Some rather fantastic quests towards the end, everything from the bit where you get invited to a party is fantastic. Final boss fight was easier than I expected, but I think that I am a lot more powerful now than I was when I came up against earlier, tougher opponents. Plus one of the shouts you get is stupidly overpowered when it comes to fighting dragons. Dunno what to do next now, I have only completed two full questlines, the main one and the mages guild. Guess I will just wander around until something catches my eye because I know I have barely scratched the surface. I havent even been to half the towns yet!

Oh, and I have taken to enchanting by bow with Soul Trap. Seems to be a good idea as I always forget to cast the spell when I am fighting...

crikey 40 hours in and I have done about 5 main quest lines (i.e. quests which dont fall under misc quests) and about 7-10 misc quests with another 25 active.

I say yes to everything and then make my moral choices based on what I want to happen.

As I don't really quick travel (other than when I got married or have to travel from one side of the map to the other) it's going to take forever to complete.

I haven't even gone to see the greybeards yet and that is the main quest right?

I will rack up 200 hours easy before I go there, so when I do the main quest the enemies I face will be "proper ones".

by that I mean in Oblivion if you do the main quest early you end up fighting skeletons and atronachs, when if you go at level 40 plus it's daedra wariors, triceratop things and much harder enemies, which make it a lot more of a realistic main quest for me.

so looking forward to that, maybe in the new year after I do the current live missions.

I do a misc quest about every 3 hours and with 25 active plus dark brotherhood and champion missions to complete, I have a long road ahead.

i mean christ the second champions quest you do just to get in took me an hour.

I quite liked the Civil War quest line. Stormcloaks v Imperials. A nice 9 or so quests for that one.

I think that is probably the last one I will do if I am being honest. I quite like being neutral, and I think that if I had done it earlier in the game then I would have missed out on a quite amazing sub quest on the main chain.

I am edging to the side of the Imperials at the moment though. As I am a Dark Elf the Stormcloaks are racist towards me. :(

fAGsa.jpg

Plus the leader of the Imperials is definitely supposed to be Julius Caesar, and Julius Caesar was **** awesome.

the imperials in oblivion were on the good side, however the more I speak to people the more I feel the rebels are on the right side of things.

it's more and more clear the imperials are essentially turning a blind eye to the dark elves ways of religious genocide towards talos followers.

imperials are not bad in themselves but turn a blind eye to this attocity and even round up prisoners based on some agreement between the empire and this other race.

I may go rebel and become a hans solo like figure.

HAs anyone else found that it's abit of a chore going dragon hunting? :D I dunno if it's the stage of the main quest I stopped at (left off going to Riverwood to investigate a room I was directed to by a note in a dungeon), but going out specifically to find them is a pain in the arse. I've only found 2 in the wild!

EDIT - And to briefly stray offtopic again, listeners to the Bombcast will hear even more of why Patrick is a dick as in that he acknolwedges his MGS5 **** up by just having a pop at the mag he stole from and whinging a little. **** dick, **** off.

HAs anyone else found that it's abit of a chore going dragon hunting? :D I dunno if it's the stage of the main quest I stopped at (left off going to Riverwood to investigate a room I was directed to by a note in a dungeon), but going out specifically to find them is a pain in the arse. I've only found 2 in the wild!

I had the opposite experience, the **** kept coming to me! I think I fought about five of the bastards in the courtyard at Winterhold College. Dunno how many shouts I have now, quite a few from the main quest and one or two from out in the wild but I still have about ten dragon souls left unspent. At least when I do find shouts or upgrades I will be able to unlock them straight away.

Oh, and you stopped the main quest at exactly the point where it becomes awesome. :lol:

How do you get married in this game?

go to the temple of Mara in riften or the pub there and speak to a guy called maramal, Marramel, marramal, whatever.

anyway, say you want to get married and buy and amulet for 200gold.

then find the lady you want to creampie and chat with her.

you can then arrange a marriage at the temple and BOOM you're married.

Â