Torture...is it necessary?

wiggyrichard

Are you for or against the use of torture to gain intelligence that could thwart a terror attack?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the use of torture to gain intelligence that could thwart a terror attack?

• For
    • Against

So you'd consider the human rights of the person who knows the whereabouts of your possibly soon to be killed family member rather than getting them freed? :lol:

Try reading some of the other posts in the thread.

Dont worry Neil, Snowy & Chindie think we should all sit round in a circle with the terrorists and talk it through over a cup of tea. :lol:

I dont buy into this hypothetical bullshit, ive put you in a situation and asked how you would respond as Tamuff has and all that i hear is that its hypothetical.

Step into the real world where it is nasty, dark and evil. The speaking nicely approach went out the window on the 11th September 2001.

If my kids were in danger it would tear me to pieces and I'd gladly give my life in exchange....

but I would NEVER condone the barbaric torturing of another human being to possibly extract information that may lead to their release.

If you have principles then you stick to them no matter.

You wouldnt heap pain and suffering onto someone who was holding information onto the whereabouts and the safe return of your own flesh and blood!?!?

Julie, im sorry, but that is utter shite!

If my kids were in danger it would tear me to pieces and I'd gladly give my life in exchange....

but I would NEVER condone the barbaric torturing of another human being to possibly extract information that may lead to their release.

I feel sorry for your children.

Dont worry Neil, Snowy & Chindie think we should all sit round in a circle with the terrorists and talk it through over a cup of tea. :lol:

Because that is exactly what people have said, haven't they? :yawn:

You keep going on about human rights etc.

Mandela and Adams blah blah blah.

So yes, that is what you and a couple of others have said Snowy.

Dont be changing your mind now! :winkold:

There are either a couple of pig shit stupid idiots in this thread or they're a couple of wind up merchants. How many different ways can you explain to somebody that you think torture is immoral, doesn't work and will ultimately escalate the problem of terrorism? Want the answer, read back over this thread, though I warn you reading to page 5 and beyond does carry health risks, as you may bang your head against a wall. The counter arguments aren't very creative, more repetitive, and more so don't attempt to answer the points, as if the point has flown straight over them or they've chosen to ignore it - you decide.

I eagerly await the stock reply...so you'd just stand by while your children are murdered, drinking tea with the big bad TERRORIST! :)

I still cant believe what im reading! I cant bring myself to type/say what i want to.

I still cant believe what im reading! I cant bring myself to type/say what i want to.

Go on. Do it. I'm all for a banning of one of the "right wing/hawk/shallow thought" brigade.

EDIT: Perhaps that should just say "intolerant of others views" brigade.

Julie is quite within her rights to hold her views, and they are views I would largely support ...

Try not to be passionate about it though - you'll be labeled as a 'pig-shit idiot' or something of the sort for having a different opinion and arguing your corner.

I know what you mean mate, if you're face to face with some utter scum and you need to know what he's done with your family (or insert your own potentially deadly plot) and time is ticking away, I'm 110% for getting the desired information however it needs to be done.

At least then I'd be able to tell myself I tried everything.

Mine are just about adults anyhow so can speak for themselves. But I'll guarantee if you asked them would their Mum ever condone the torture of another human being in an attempt to protect them, then they'd say "No way"

However if you asked them would Mum have ever taken action to protect us when we were little eg if someone broke in the house & tried to snatch them, then yes she would have, even if it meant bashing him or her over the head with something.

Torturing someone in an attempt that they may have information that may well be unreliable is unacceptable in my eyes.

Go on. Do it. I'm all for a banning of one of the "right wing/hawk/shallow thought" brigade.

Im hurt Jon, wouldnt you miss me? :cry:

i merely happen to be better at it than you are

Genuinely meant in a nice way.

:winkold:

Seriously though.

The poll results are disappointing.

Long term US foreign policy with regard to the Middle East Stinks.

Israel gets handouts, Muslim nations get destabilized if they don't tow the line.

The entrenched greed (Bush family, Rumsfeld, Petrochemical industries etc) and vanity (TB UK) of our leaders has created a monster. It's Joe Public on all sides (especially Iraq) that get hurt.

I'd rather get drastic with the cause than the symptom.

edit - grammar

Mine are just about adults anyhow so can speak for themselves. But I'll guarantee if you asked them would their Mum ever condone the torture of another human being in an attempt to protect them, then they'd say "No way"

However if you asked them would Mum have ever taken action to protect us when we were little eg if someone broke in the house & tried to snatch them, then yes she would have, even if it meant bashing him or her over the head with something.

Torturing someone in an attempt that they may have information that may well be unreliable is unacceptable.

So you wouldnt torture someone to protect them, yet you would 'bash them over the head' and potentially kill them? :?

So am i a bad or a good parent for doing anything (torture) and everything in my power to ensure my son is safe?

Â