Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Say it with me now. Jag-yew-er...

works just as well, the very slight difference in pronunciation I'll put down to accent. In fact I guess with my accent it's more Jag-yew-a

It's the yew in the middle that's the important bit that makes it a 3 syllable word rather than a retarded sounding 2 syllable one

surely the "u" in jaguar kinda gives a small clue as to how it's pronounced ?

No, it doesn't. ................And DON'T call me Shirley.

*side note* haven't been feeling the best lately, but being able to do that wonderfully crap joke just made my night. It's the little things in life.

The correct pronunciation is yag-waar (from the Tupi-Guarani languages of the Brazilian interior). American English gets the first sound wrong, transliterating the "y" into a "j", but other than that pronounces it correctly. The British pronunciation makes the same transliteration and then tries to pronounce it as an English word and ends up adding a syllable. The American pronunciation is closer to the correct one, ergo, more correct.

Now if Jaguar were to abandon any pretense of connection with the cat, this argument holds no water.

The correct pronunciation is yag-waar (from the Tupi-Guarani languages of the Brazilian interior). American English gets the first sound wrong, transliterating the "y" into a "j", but other than that pronounces it correctly. The British pronunciation makes the same transliteration and then tries to pronounce it as an English word and ends up adding a syllable. The American pronunciation is closer to the correct one, ergo, more correct.

Now if Jaguar were to abandon any pretense of connection with the cat, this argument holds no water.

Levi= super hero.

So in Tupi-Guarani the word for a jaguar is pronounced as Yag-war, but the English word for a Jaguar is pronounced Jag-yew-er, Seeing as we're speaking English I guess that confirms the correct pronunciation in our case is Jag-yew-er.

When America start using Tupi-Guarni as an official language you can feel free to pronounce it Jag-waar if you like, but please not in reference to the rather splendid motor cars.

It doesn't matter were the word derives from, if it did all those French and German derived words in the English language should be pronounced as the French or Germans would.

As an example the french pronounce the number six as sis, now obviously if I'm counting in English I wouldn't use the french pronouncement would I.

Â