Football Manager 2011

AndyClarke

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a free copy of the game. There are other perks like being a newgen in game and I get asked to beta test most years.

Like pretty much all of the researchers, I do the research for the enjoyment, we have our own community so it is good fun. If you ever look on the official forums, you'll see the abuse that some of the researchers have to put up with, which when you consider that this is a hobby is why the mods jump on them pretty quickly!!

Andy, i think youve done a pretty good job with villa to be honest, generally pretty accurate.

My guess with the young players is that clark will be -7/8, albrighton -8 (unless he has a fixed PA cos hes 20 now if so i would guess about 155), delph and delfouneso -9s. These are pretty much the same as they were last year i think.

I agree about the researchers getting unfair abuse on the SI forums. People always moan about one attribute on one player cos they saw a game where they scored a hat trick or some other rubbish. People always say Agbonlahor is overrated pace wise, these people have obviously never seen him sprint when he really means it

The data is always going to be entirely down to an individuals opinion. The problem is that everyone thinks that their own opinion is the correct one, although it sounds incredibly arrogant SI trust the opinions of the research team, that is why those people are in place.

There is far more work than people know about going into the data and the research team analyse this data, understand how it relates to Football Manager the game and where players are in relation to one another both at domestic level and on a Worldwide level, things that your average gameplayer will have no idea about, nor are they likely to have an idea about. You'll find people quibbling over 1 point here or there or posting a rant without actually saying anything e.g "Joe Cole should be better".

I've been at it long enough to not let it bother me, I'm always happy to listen to what people have to say and discuss it at great length with them, it is part of the fun being able to talk about football. What I often find is that after people have an initial rant, they'll think about it, realise that things are done for a reason and most importantly play the game for a while and realise that perhaps it is not as innaccurate as they first thought. I actually look forward to demo release day because that is when people will have their first look at the data and want to talk about it!! Gabby scoring at better than a goal a game in FM2010 is actually quite embarassing for me!!

Sweet, that is impressive.

I was gonna mention Gabby :lol: He is lethal, but I think that is more down to the games engine which utilises pacey players well?

Most of the players you have rated are spot on in my opinion and as you have said everyone will have a different opinion.

Do you just research the players, or is it the club as a whole?

Cheers for the kind comments.

Gabby being quick, strong and having high workrate seems to be a formula which guarantees him plenty of chances in the match engine.

The whole club from top to bottom, that means anything that goes on and fits into the game as well as the hundreds of individual items which make up each players profile!

10s been the best yet

11 hopefully will top it. one thing i would like seen is you searching for you own sponserships and you design your home and away kits

That isn't the job of a manager though. But FML comes pretty close to that, maybe you should try it?

10s been the best yet

11 hopefully will top it. one thing i would like seen is you searching for you own sponserships and you design your home and away kits

That isn't the job of a manager though. But FML comes pretty close to that, maybe you should try it?

Agree with the not the manager's job thing.

However, at the risk of taking this off topic, i've wondered for a while whether a football chairman game would work. It would basically be Football manager, still have the database and everything behind it, but youwouldn't control any of it. it would operate in the background and all you could control would be the staffand money etc.

I guess it would work a bit like Sim City, where it's all about managing your money and buying the right things, keeping fans happy, getting sponsorships etc etc

Not sure there would be enough to do to be honest to make a full game, but it's an interesting theory.

Yeah, there are things about being a chairman which would be fun but the problem is, there isn't enough, unless people would enjoy watching there team but without picking it or being involved and just making background decisions.

It'll probably happen at some point? but I can't see it in the immediate future?

The only problem with Andy's ratings is that he's not as biased as some of the other researchers!!

Andy, so couple of questions for you fella.

1. How do you go about rating a young prospect like Albrighton who looks very good but who we've seen very little of?

2. Do you know the researcher for Spurs? If so could you have a word and ask him to be a little more conservative for FM2011 please ;)

1. It is hard for several reasons. Although I have seen him on a fair few occasions at reserve and youth level it is tough to try to translate that to how he will fare in the Premier League. The reserve level in particular is a strange one and is not really a barometer of where a player is at, although a certain amount can be gained. Add to that the fact that the majority of fans have probably seen him once (and that was Saturday) or twice, after Saturday he has since been hyped up beyond belief. Fans of Villa and beyond will already be earmarking him as a signing so I expect abuse if he doesn't fit with their expectations.

He is of course rated based on last season and not what has happened over the course of the last month or so, if he continues in the same vein, he will of course be rated accordingly. What the majority of supporters don't tend to realise is that there have been so many players who have started brightly and then faded away to nothingness, I'd much rather be cautious and find that I have to raise a players ability rather than do the opposite. The key is to make sure that both strengths and weaknesses are portrayed and remember that a rating of 10 in any given attribute is not 'bad' as people seem to think, it is exactly what it is, average, in the middle!

What CA and PA would people here hand out to him?

2. I do and I have heard the comments that Spurs were a problem side in FM2010, same as Arsenal have been in previous releases. I'm not sure how much of this is his fault as opposed to being as a result of Tottenham having the type of players that 'work' in the match engine. We only have to look to Gabby and his attributes to see that it perhaps isn't a data issue that he scores for fun.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I can totally see you issue in relation to the likes of Albrighton and agree your approach is correct, I realised it must be a tough dilema which is why I asked.

In relation to Spurs I was just having a little fun, personally though and this is just my opinion I think its a combination of the two things perhaps. That said you obviously know far more than I about it.

CA or Current Ability is the level at which the player currently plays, rated out of 200.

PA or Potential Ability is the maximum level that the player can reach assuming that the ideal conditions exist, rated out of 200. PA can also be given a minus rating (-10, -9, -8, -7 etc etc) which will allow the game to generate a random potential between two figures at the start of each new game. This is used for younger players and allows a certain amout of random element in how far they'll develop, it also means their PA will be different in each game adding to the longevity.

-10 170-200

-9 150-180

-8 130-160

-7 110-140

-6 90-120

-5 70-100

-4 50-80

-3 30-60

-2 10-40

CA cannot exceed PA and a player at his peak should have a CA and PA at a similar level. As a player declines, his PA will remain at the level that his CA peaked at.

Â