Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I hope you're wrong TRO. I think there is some money to spend but Randy didn't trust MON with any more of it. Therefore, the new man will be backed. The interview process is a two way process, Randy will have to sell the club and the potential manager will have to sell himself.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

telegraph.co.uk..Aston Villa need bigger name than me as manager, admits Kevin MacDonald

Kevin MacDonald, the Aston Villa caretaker manager, says he is "not a big enough name" to succeed Martin O'Neill.

Name: Kevin MacDonald, Aston Villa's caretaker manager, says the club need a bigger name than him to take over as new manager Photo: PA MacDonald, the reserve team coach who stepped up to fill the breach when O'Neill quit this week, conceded that the club were currently equipped only to focus on the six inches in front of their face.

Having inherited a number of players disgruntled under the former regime, and with six staff members gone, MacDonald has been left an unenviable assignment getting Villa ready for their first match of the season, against West Ham.

O'Neill must heed Springsteen's words "It has been difficult getting everything sorted out," he said. "We're chasing around trying to get everything done."

The size of the task beyond Saturday's fixture is a daunting one. Peripheral players earning indecent wages still need to be shifted to conform with wage-to-revenue demands, and reinforcement is required if they are to sustain a challenge in the Premier League and Europe. They play Rapid Vienna in the Europa League next week.

The messages from the club are that there will be no rush to appoint a permanent replacement, yet MacDonald has been given no authority to scout for new players, leaving the club's transfer policy in limbo.

"If everything was right it should be done sooner or later, because then you have a couple of weeks to go," he said. "The transfer stuff is going to be left on the backburner."

MacDonald's primary concern is to deal with putting out a team today, with injuries to three central defenders, Carlos Cuellar, Curtis Davies and James Collins, and a hamstring injury to Gabriel Agbonlahor to contend with, as well as having to decide whether to play James Milner, who is set to join Manchester City.

Some introduction for the 49-year-old, a Villa employee for 15 years.

Results will determine whether he is a contender for the role; whether he would want it is another matter. "Do I want the job full-time? It's hard to say. I'll see how I enjoy it," he said.

Good and honest man is he.

MacDonald is honestly about as good a guy as they come, an excellent coach, a loyal club man and extremely popular. Not right to be manager but most managers would be happy to have him on their staff.

And let us hope fans don't give him a hard time if he should fail, he does the best he can for the Villa :)

I hope you're wrong TRO. I think there is some money to spend but Randy didn't trust MON with any more of it. Therefore, the new man will be backed. The interview process is a two way process, Randy will have to sell the club and the potential manager will have to sell himself.

Steve,

I hope I'm wrong too, because like big Ron i think we need a big name manager.

I just don't think it will happen.

Ps Ron Saunders wasn't exactly big name thou, came in from Norwich with a half decent record.... but he had side kicks in Tony Barton and roy McLaren who were very knowledgeable and Tony really had an eye for a player.

I had the pleasure of meeting Barton after a mid week game.... had an hour with him in a hotlel on the Hagley road.....The knowledge of the man in terms of football, just blew me away.

Steve,

I've got a feeling it might be a big name, Eriksson!

Steve,

beckham as assistant?

Steve,

beckham as assistant?

Ulrika as "club nurse".

Steve,

beckham as assistant?

Wouldnt go that far, but he's who i reckon will be our next gaffer.

Anyone making any banners for tomorrows game? Try to give randy a nudge in the right direction.

Hmmm, dunno. If everyone waves a banner saying "Get us Jol" or whatever, it's a bit of a slap in the face for KM.

Maybe a nice, negative sort of one, like "Bob Bradley get ****" might be jolly, though.