Barry Bannan

villianusa

James Nursey thinks we're trying to get rid but it will probably have to be a loan as he's on £20,000 a week.

I doubt many clubs will offer him that. That's probably more than Benteke is on right now.

He signed that contract in November 2010. WTF had he done at that time to justify being given a 1 mill a year contract.

James Nursey thinks we're trying to get rid but it will probably have to be a loan as he's on £20,000 a week.

I doubt many clubs will offer him that. That's probably more than Benteke is on right now.

He signed that contract in November 2010. WTF had he done at that time to justify being given a 1 mill a year contract.

As predicted the cull of the big earners has now reached Barry Bannan on £20k per week.

As predicted the cull of the big earners has now reached Barry Bannan on £20k per week.

If that's the case then that would be pathetic as 20k a week wages should not be a reason to want rid of a player. It should be based purely on whether or not he is good enough and Bannan isn't. If he was then 20k a week shouldn't be an issue.

My point really was simply that in November 2010 he had done **** all to justify being given a 20k a week contract.

£20k per week really is a drop in the ocean in terms of Premier League wages, but it's still not good value for money when it comes to Bannan.

And walue for money is our new guiding star

£20k per week really is a drop in the ocean in terms of Premier League wages, but it's still not good value for money when it comes to Bannan.

I'll probably spend about £20k in my life supporting Villa with my ticket purchases and what not. To say it's insignificant is not only insulting but pretty naive. If we were to run a business with that mindset then it will lead to doom without a shadow of doubt.

£20k to a good player who has proven themselves is worthwhile. £20k to an unproven kid with a bad attitude is only going to send them one way... and he is heading that way quickly.

I'll probably spend about £20k in my life supporting Villa with my ticket purchases and what not. To say it's insignificant is not only insulting but pretty naive. If we were to run a business with that mindset then it will lead to doom without a shadow of doubt.

£20k to a good player who has proven themselves is worthwhile. £20k to an unproven kid with a bad attitude is only going to send them one way... and he is heading that way quickly.

I think you misunderstod my post, I very much agree that the wages in football are silly.

But compared to what some other PL players earn £20k is a drop in the ocean. Carrol is on what, something like £100.000k and he's just a bad as Bannan.

As i said £20k for Bannan is not good value for money for us.

What's naive is to compare football economy to the real life economy that we live after

Edited by sne

Bannan isn't being flogged because he's a big earner, he's being flogged because he's shite

• Like 1

Where did the figure come from? And to put it into perspective the average wage is probably around 25k p/w in the (god safe our noble queen) E.P.L.

I am not sure if the average wage is 25k a week or not. The point is though that in November 2010 Bannan was 20 years old and had made less than a handful of appearances in the Premier League. I certainly don't remember at that time thinking he was anything special so its a mystery as to why he was handed a 20k a week contract for the best part of 4 years.

To put it in perspective Benteke is reportedly on 20k a week and the likes of Lowton and Westwood will be on less than half that.

You'd find that at the vast majority of Prem clubs 20 year old players who come through the ranks with less than a handful of top flight appearances will not be on anything like 20k a week.

This is all assuming that Nursey is correct in saying he is on 20k a week. If he is though I would very much doubt he will find a suitor willing to pay him that kind of money. He is a championship level player at best.

Edited by markavfc40

To put it into perspective Benteke is on....What kind of **** up perspective is that? The average is about 25k I think. That's the perspective.

Bannan is, one could argue about a 20k p/w player. I think that's about right, I think that's about what he could get elsewhere. It may have been awarded a little bit early, who cares, it's a bit below average and he's been good for it by being a bit below average over the period.

To put it into perspective Benteke is on....What kind of **** up perspective is that? The average is about 25k I think. That's the perspective.

Bannan is, one could argue about a 20k p/w player. I think that's about right, I think that's about what he could get elsewhere. It may have been awarded a little bit early, who cares, it's a bit below average and he's been good for it by being a bit below average over the period.

Bannan signed this contract at 20 years old. The average for a 20 year old player that has come through the ranks at a Prem club and made less than a handful of top flight appearances will not be anything like 25k a week. That is the perspective.

Bannan isn't a 20k a week player now and he certainly wasn't at 20 years old. He won't get 20k a week elsewhere as he isn't worth that kind of money.

Edited by markavfc40

Well if you don't think Bannan has been good for it then fair enough. He's been about below average, he's played about below average. If you want to compare everything to Lowton or Benteke, then your going to be disappointed quite a lot.

Well if you don't think Bannan has been good for it then fair enough. He's been about below average, he's played about below average. If you want to compare everything to Lowton or Benteke, then your going to be disappointed quite a lot.

Its not about that is it. Did you think in November 2010 Bannan was worth a 20k a week 4 year contract? at 20 years old after a less than a handful of Prem appearances. I will be totally honest I thought he was OK at the time, worth keeping hold of to see if he progressed but had seen nothing to suggest we should be giving him what amounted to the best part of a 4 mill contract.

Benteke is an exception. Once every ten year signing for less than 7 mill if your lucky. Lowton, Westwood yes I believe little gems like them can be unearthed. Young players who have played at a lower level, with potential, signed for relatively little and on around 5k-10k a week. I am hoping we may have unearthed another 2 or 3 more already this summer.

Edited by markavfc40

Whilst £20k per week is obviously a lot of money, it would seem that it's the going rate for a Premier League squad player at an established club.

I can't imagine the likes of Spearing, Luke Moore, James McLean are on any less - let alone the likes of Danny Graham or any of the rabble at QPR.

As said above, he's not being shifted because he's on £20k per week and that's too much, he's being shifted because he's not wanted by the club and the same would apply if he was on £5k or £50k per week.

Could be worse, look at Zigic and his £75k per week!

Its not about that is it. Did you think in November 2010 Bannan was worth a 20k a week 4 year contract? at 20 years old after a less than a handful of Prem appearances. I will be totally honest I thought he was OK at the time, worth keeping hold of to see if he progressed but had seen nothing to suggest we should be giving him what amounted to the best part of a 4 mill contract.

Benteke is an exception. Once every ten year signing for less than 7 mill if your lucky. Lowton, Westwood yes I believe little gems like them can be unearthed. Young players who have played at a lower level, with potential, signed for relatively little and on around 5k-10k a week. I am hoping we may have unearthed another 2 or 3 more already this summer.

Mark, you're looking at Bannan's contract without any frame of reference. You're asking what Bannan had done to deserve a 4 year contract at 20k per week as a seemingly promising 20 year old, as if that's a huge contract for someone of his ilk.

In reality, it would unfortunately seem that that is about the going rate for this type of player from the UK. His contract isn't exceptional - it's typical of the Premier League.

Shocking and unfortunate, but that's the reality of this league.