Barry Bannan

villianusa

Trust me pal. Bannan could grow another foot and Lambert still wouldn't want to keep him. He is finished at Villa.

He could certainly do with growing another foot :)

The pun was a deliberate dig at his height!

Do you have any statistics to back that up? A heat map perhaps?

• Like 2

Trust me pal. Bannan could grow another foot and Lambert still wouldn't want to keep him. He is finished at Villa.

He could certainly do with growing another foot :)

The pun was a deliberate dig at his height!

As opposed to the quality of his, erm, feet.  Both of which are useless.

Bennett could certainly take corners. Sent in some amazing crosses at the end of last season.

But Bannan's control of a ball is far, far superior, some of the things he can do from set pieces make him worth a spot in the starting line up.

Tell me one set piece from which Bannan has done something remotely average with?

Baring in mind he has taken 100's if not 1000's of them it really shouldn't be that hard. But it is.

The quality of his set pieces are a reason to take him out of the team, not leave him in it. 0 assists from set pieces in his career.

Carruthers is possible but Delph doesn't take set pieces.

Still not convinced we have another option that will satisfy Lambert. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Bannan now.

Is Luke Murphy left footed?

What difference does it make it Bannan is our only left-footed option with set pieces? He'd have to get on the pitch to take a set-piece. I don't hate Barry, nor do I think he's useless, but he doesn't fit with Lambert's style so it's best for all parties concerned if he moves on, including us so we can shut this 'kin thread.

Baring in mind he has taken 100's if not 1000's of them it really shouldn't be that hard. But it is.

This is why it's hard to take your criticism seriously.

You should research your statistics.

Why should I believe someone who uses a phrase like "100's if not 1000's of them"? You obviously don't know the real facts and are guessing.

Bannan got many key passes and was simply unlucky not to get a set piece assist. I've mentioned these facts before. Benteke at Anfield, Baker at VP against Southampton, Benteke against Bradford. There were other chances.

In comparison, Westwood took almost the same number of set pieces as Bannan and got only 1 assist. Bannan 0 in 65 corners (17 chances created), Westwood 1 in 45 (11 chances created).

These are researched facts, unlike your complete guesses, so my guess is the neutral reader would take them more seriously.

Why should I believe someone who uses a phrase like "100's if not 1000's of them"? You obviously don't know the real facts and are guessing.

Bannan got many key passes and was simply unlucky not to get a set piece assist. I've mentioned these facts before. Benteke at Anfield, Baker at VP against Southampton, Benteke against Bradford. There were other chances.

In comparison, Westwood took almost the same number of set pieces as Bannan and got only 1 assist. Bannan 0 in 65 corners (17 chances created), Westwood 1 in 45 (11 chances created).

These are researched facts, unlike your complete guesses, so my guess is the neutral reader would take them more seriously.

So we come back to the same outcome... 0 assists from set pieces. At least we agree on that then.

The only difference is that you waffle on about key passes and a load of nonsense like that even though you've never seen him play, but at the end of the day if David Beckham had been in a first team squad for 5 years and not scored or got an assist from a set piece do you think anyone would be raving about how he is the best set piece taker in the PL and worth £20m? And then you have the audacity to state that I wouldn't be taken seriously?

You do make me laugh.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Re Bannan's corners - I blame the rest of the team for the lack of assists from them....

They should know by now, not to stand in front of the goal but to all huddle well beyond the far stick (almost out of the penalty area) to meet the inevitably overhit set-piece.

• Like 1

To be Zidane Bannan would have to grow a lot more, which ain't going to happen.

It's much more realistic to compare Bannan to other players his height and position, the Spanish players.

I don't think i've laughed so much in my life. So much so that i just can't take anymore.

23527523.jpg

Con wouldnt be the first person to liken Bannan to Spanish players.

He was definitely referred to as the the scottish iniesta a year or so ago. Can not remember who/where it was (might even have been the AVFC website), but there were definite links.

I don't think Bannan is a bad player, he just needs to sort his life out off the field. For the vast majority of the season he was not any worse than the many other Villa players. He was pretty awful like the rest but I fear his Off the field incidents have meant that the finger is pointed at him more quickly.

Edited by Woodytom

I think the neutral reader would draw the same conclusions as the regular readers on here actually con. It is ironic in the extreme that you talk about people being taken seriously.

• Like 1

It's much more realistic to compare Bannan to other players his height and position, the Spanish players.

I don't think i've laughed so much in my life. So much so that i just can't take anymore.

23527523.jpg

He was definitely referred to as the the scottish iniesta a year or so ago. Can not remember who/where it was (might even have been the AVFC website), but there were definite links.

I don't think Bannan is a bad player, he just needs to sort his life out off the field. For the vast majority of the season he was not any worse than the many other Villa players. He was pretty awful like the rest but I fear his Off the field incidents have meant that the finger is pointed at him more quickly.

Who are the players you think he wasn't any worse than?

23527523.jpg

Who are the players you think he wasn't any worse than?

Well, by vast majority of the season, I mean until we started improving in Februrary. Sylla, Westwood and Delph all improved and ended up playing better in that period than Bannan did all season.

However, up until that point, the whole team was pretty bad bar one or two exceptions.

There is a case that we improved as Bannan was dropped but I think thats a bit far fetched tbh. There were all sorts of reasons that we improved.

From August - feb - I certainly could not pick the best/worst midfielder. They were all absolutely dire as far as I am concerned.

Bannan got many key passes and was simply unlucky not to get a set piece assist.

Great Corner kick to the back stick that nearly hit the moon again..............Oh! How unlucky Bannan

Great Free kick on goal that hit Row Z of the Holte End.........Oh! How unlucky Wee Barry

Great Powder Puff tackle on Yaya Toure...............................Oh! How unlucky that he swatted you away like a fly Bannan

Great through ball to Louis Suarez, what a pass Barry..........Oh! How unlucky not to score Louis Suarez

Great Team work warming your botty on the bench...............Oh! How unlucky for you Bannan

Great `doing one on your toes from the Old Bill`.along the Motorway.........Oh unlucky Barry.......Unlucky you got caught that is ;)

Con? - Can you see a common denominator here?

How unlucky? :P

• Like 1

Holman contributed more to villa last season and was shown the exit door for nothing

Bannan will be going in the same direction i cannot see any club out there wanting to pay anything for him

Re Bannan's corners - I blame the rest of the team for the lack of assists from them....

They should know by now, not to stand in front of the goal but to all huddle well beyond the far stick (almost out of the penalty area) to meet the inevitably overhit set-piece.

Or just crouch down on to their knees!

So is the general consensus about Bannan that he sucks and should be sold as quickly as possible and if he does stay he should get no game time?

Or do people just think Lambert doesn't consider Bannan in his plans and thus will be selling him?

Con, you're hilarious even for a wind up merchant.

You quote Westwood as having "got only 1 assist" - throwing the word only in there for effect when in the same sentence you've stated that your idol Bannan recorded 0........how in your mind does this reflect badly on Westy but well on Bannan?

You sir, are indeed a clown of the highest merit.

Edited by bannedfromHandV