Barry Bannan

villianusa

As somebody who didn't watch the game I can either take the word of Con who is, to be fair, a little biased I'm sure he would admit. Or the word of the Scotch fans who were no doubt delighted to have won the game and ready to praise all that took part. Only they said he was rubbish.

Hmmm...

I have gone from always rating him and thinking he's a great prospect, to seeing his development slow down, to hating him purely due to Con, to liking him again purely due to the absolute carp people are spouting about him. I cannot people who have watched villa for more than 3 years can say "he's the worst villa player ever" he's "woeful"

I think his confidence and match fitness is lacking, due to being taken out the team and being hounded by "fans" of villa.

Same here. Honestly I dont think Bannan is bad enough or good enough to get this excited about.

(but Con is bad enough to get excited about)

• Like 1

I have gone from always rating him and thinking he's a great prospect, to seeing his development slow down, to hating him purely due to Con, to liking him again purely due to the absolute carp people are spouting about him. I cannot people who have watched villa for more than 3 years can say "he's the worst villa player ever" he's "woeful"

I think his confidence and match fitness is lacking, due to being taken out the team and being hounded by "fans" of villa.

Chicken or the egg situation. What came first? Villa fans "hounding" (I disagree with this but we'll go along with it) him or his awful performances?

I can guarantee to you that every single time Bannan has put on the shirt 99.9% of supporters, including myself, support him and want him to do well. Unfortunately the vast majority of these people who have supported him have come frustrated with his performances which have had a large detrimental effect on the team.

He's not the worst Villa player to have ever played, he's probably not even the worst Villa player in our current squad. His performances have however been woeful and not Premier League quality, probably not even Championship quality most of the time yet people come on here and get exasperated by the simple fact that some chump is stating he is the best player in the league at certain attributes. It's these claims which is simply turning people more and more against Bannan.

If Con wants to do Bannan a favour he will start putting across true and rational assessments of the player so that people don't feel the need to go to the other extreme to counter his ridiculous arguments. If this site has had any impact on Bannan's confidence (which I highly doubt) then Con is the sole person responsible for that. Ironically he wants what is best for Bannan but the outcome of his efforts are the polar opposite.

• Like 1

Bannan in the news.

Scotland could have added to their slim advantage when Barry Bannan raced into the box before sending a dangerous swerving shot just past the far upright.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/croatia-1-0-scotland-match-report-group-a-uefa-robert-snodgrass-060713

The match started at quite a cautious pace, with the first real chance arriving on 10 minutes when James Morrison blasted well over the bar after latching onto a short pass from Barry Bannan.

http://www.football411.com/report/0,25737,14287_8764200,00.html

However, Strachan showed his enterprise by opting for Barry Bannan, Leigh Griffiths and Robert Snodgrass, who all carried a high-risk tariff. Bannan has not played regularly this season, Griffiths is a novice at this level and Snodgrass' last intervention in a Scotland shirt was to be sent off against Wales after conceding a penalty.

His manager can bask in success this morning. "We played from the heart," he said later, but there was more than a little brain employed too.

He will praise a midfield that never stopped closing down but will accept the ball was given away with a weary regularity, particularly by Bannan in the first half.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/scots-had-to-believe-but-this-was-hard-to-imagine.21286214

The co-commentator at the match said Bannan was "Excellent" and referred to his good communication with Whittaker. He stuck to his defensive duties well. 

It's fair to say his passing was a bit off but he was missing first team football and he still managed 1 key pass and 1 shot at goal, which shows how involved he was in the action.

Wow 1 key pass and 1 shot on goal?

Barca sign this guy now

Why do you exaggerate? I'm not exaggerating so the excuse that I'm doing it is total nonsense.

My assessment of Bannan's performance yesterday was he was alright, to say he was 'woeful' for giving the ball away was harsh, especially when every Scottish player gave the ball away consistently, even there f******* goal came from Maloney being tackled. Bannan did a lot of defensive work, and did it well, he never allowed Dario Srna any time in dangerous positions, always helped Whitaker and got a few tackles. He wasn't to impressive that game, but he did a job and he did it well. Wasn't really his type of game, didn't suite his style of play but I didn't think he was too bad.

• Like 1

The pass was **** 18 inches sideways from a free kick which Morrison skyed. The shot was from in the box with time and space and was very wide.

Video of the shot is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22824428

The chance was created by Hutton(!? who actually played well) and starts at 3.40.

The 18 inch pass was such a non event that it didn't make a 5 minute highlight video. Unsurprisingly.

Wow 1 key pass and 1 shot on goal?

Barca sign this guy now

Why do you exaggerate? I'm not exaggerating so the excuse that I'm doing it is total nonsense.

You exaggerate Bannan's ability on a daily basis

Where most of us see an average player who is woeful 90% of the time you see him as someone who should be taking Iniesta's place in the spanish side

Edited by AshVilla

Teams win football matches with Bannan on the pitch, even at international level. Hopefully Paul offers him a better contract.

Simplistic football fans will never see the value of him.

The Bannan Effect is probably related to his desire to win. His value is greater than the sum of his obvious parts. That's what makes him an enigma to some fans.

They add 1+1 and figure 2, when it's actually 11.

Saying this causes a mini-riot. Not sure why because it's only a footballer.

Bannan in the news.

1) Scotland could have added to their slim advantage when Barry Bannan raced into the box before sending a dangerous swerving shot just past the far upright.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/croatia-1-0-scotland-match-report-group-a-uefa-robert-snodgrass-060713

2) The match started at quite a cautious pace, with the first real chance arriving on 10 minutes when James Morrison blasted well over the bar after latching onto a short pass from Barry Bannan.

http://www.football411.com/report/0,25737,14287_8764200,00.html

However, Strachan showed his enterprise by opting for Barry Bannan, Leigh Griffiths and Robert Snodgrass, who all carried a high-risk tariff. Bannan has not played regularly this season, Griffiths is a novice at this level and Snodgrass' last intervention in a Scotland shirt was to be sent off against Wales after conceding a penalty.

His manager can bask in success this morning. "We played from the heart," he said later, but there was more than a little brain employed too.

He will praise a midfield that never stopped closing down 3) but will accept the ball was given away with a weary regularity, particularly by Bannan in the first half.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/scots-had-to-believe-but-this-was-hard-to-imagine.21286214

4) The co-commentator at the match said Bannan was "Excellent" and referred to his good communication with Whittaker. He stuck to his defensive duties well. 

It's fair to say his passing was a bit off but he was missing first team football and he still managed 1 key pass and 1 shot at goal, which shows how involved he was in the action.

1) Awful scuffed shot, school boy stuff, from somebody as world class as Bannan you expect better. Although I did hear somebody in the crowd bullied him, which made him miss, it was a good assist though as Scotland had another shot with that same ball a few minutes later.

2) My dead nan could have passed that ball.

3) Speaks for itself, awful on the ball from world class Bannan, but I did hear some of the fans were calling him rubbish, which Bannan felt would cause Scotland to finish bottom of their group.

4) And the Scottish fans, who are delighted with the win are saying he was shit.