Barry Bannan

villianusa

We're still conceding goals so obviously he wasn't the negative influence people accused him of being either.

Then again, we already knew that because if you look at the goals conceded they were primarily the responsibility of another player's error.

Bannan was also accused of making us weak in midfield which put the defence under a lot of pressure. Is the defence under a lot less pressure without Bannan in the side?

Without Bannan, we still do not dominate the midfield. The two times we've really dominated the midfield this season was with Bannan.

We couldn't dominate the midfield against Fulham at Villa Park, and we've conceded goals in every match he has been left out.

If ever there was a scape-goat, it was Bannan. Some fans just can't stand a little guy running around midfield doing skilful things they don't understand.

They'd rather a burly, muscle guy charge around and flatten the opposition, even when it doesn't noticeably improve results.

Snore!

Regarding the 'dominating of the midfield' I thought in Delph, Sylla and Westwood, for large parts of the Chelsea game up until Benteke's sending off, dominated the midfield with strong harrying, tackling, good shielding of the ball, forceful running, and incisive passing. 

I can't say Bannan possess any of these attributes. He's not a direct runner with the ball, he needs time and space to play a forward pass, if not it goes sideways/backwards or he loses possession. 

Could you imagine Bannan helping to dominate the midfield any better than any one of Westwood Sylla Delph in that midfield trio against Chelsea? 

I don't have the stats to prove this hypothetical, but I'm sure everyone can agree it's hard to think of Bannan being more effective than any of the 3 who played. 

Regarding the 'dominating of the midfield' I thought in Delph, Sylla and Westwood, for large parts of the Chelsea game up until Benteke's sending off, dominated the midfield with strong harrying, tackling, good shielding of the ball, forceful running, and incisive passing. 

You would expect that, they were down to 10, and it was a defensive midfielder sent off.

Before Ramires was sent off we had only 34% possession. We ended the game with about 46% possession.

I can't say Bannan possess any of these attributes. He's not a direct runner with the ball, he needs time and space to play a forward pass, if not it goes sideways/backwards or he loses possession. 

Could you imagine Bannan helping to dominate the midfield any better than any one of Westwood Sylla Delph in that midfield trio against Chelsea? 

I don't have the stats to prove this hypothetical, but I'm sure everyone can agree it's hard to think of Bannan being more effective than any of the 3 who played. 

I'm not suggesting Bannan should start against a team like Chelsea. Different players for different games.

In a game where we are outclassed by their technical players we will need to work hard to get the ball, and when we do hit them on the counter attack.

Bannan is useful for the games we can dominate, less useful for games that need the midfield to do a lot of closing down. QPR and Reading we had 56% possession in the midfield system that used Bannan.

I think Bannan is an average player and it seems this opinion is also shared by many of the managers who have a greater knowledge than we do.

On a different note I am pretty sure I saw him arrive at Villa Park against Fulham in a £100k Mercedes when he was banned from driving for 18 months in November 2011? He must be paying £20k insurance and I can only guess how much he must've paid in solicitors fees?! Can anyone share some light on this?

I think Bannan is an average player and it seems this opinion is also shared by many of the managers who have a greater knowledge than we do.

On a different note I am pretty sure I saw him arrive at Villa Park against Fulham in a £100k Mercedes when he was banned from driving for 18 months in November 2011? He must be paying £20k insurance and I can only guess how much he must've paid in solicitors fees?! Can anyone share some light on this?

And can I call my first witness Zhan-Zhuang your honour? ;)

I have been a Bannan fan but it does look like his days may be numbered at Villa. For Lambert to have Holman ahead of him on the bench doesn't look good for the lad. I guess he's going to strengthen the midfield again for next season so he will drop down the pecking order even further.

Bannan is a terrible defensive midfielder.

Since he has:

0 goals

1 assist

18 games (6 sub)

Throw in his height and weight:

170 cm

60 kg

And we can decisively conclude that he is a DM.

In our squad he ranks:

15th in tackles per game.

12th in interceptions per game

12th in pass success %

21st in fouls per game (clearly shows he is not aggressive enough obviously)

Stats from The Holy Bible

Clearly the worst DM in our squad and if he keeps this up I can see a Championship club taking a punt on him next season.

Just replace him with a league one or 2 player who has potential in the summer on the cheap

The player coming in wouldn't have very big boots to fill

Edited by AshVilla

Is he just too small for modern day football?

I don't think anyone should question his ability!

Holloway said about him he just loved watching him in training because he is so skillful

Is he just too small for modern day football?

I don't think anyone should question his ability!

Holloway said about him he just loved watching him in training because he is so skillful

He's 1 kg heavier than Delph. Delph is 3 cm taller. He's taller than Leon Britton (Swansea) and various Barcelona and Arsenal players. 

Don't hear people say Delph is too small, or the Barcelona lads are too small. It's an excuse to bash him if you don't like technical footballers.

Just replace him with a league one or 2 player who has potential in the summer on the cheap

The player coming in wouldn't have very big boots to fill

Better still,  just replace him with any player from Rag Arse Rovers because let's face it..........No one could be shitter!

He's big enough.

He's just not good enough.

This. He could be Dwight Howard's Scottish twin but seeing as he doesn't score or create goals, has poor spatial awareness and can't perform at a high tempo or under pressure then it wouldn't matter anyway.

You can see he is technically proficient in the sense he'd do well passing between cones or crossing into a bin but his ability to use those skills in real time is very poor.

This. He could be Dwight Howard's Scottish twin but seeing as he doesn't score or create goals, has poor spatial awareness and can't perform at a high tempo or under pressure then it wouldn't matter anyway.

You can see he is technically proficient in the sense he'd do well passing between cones or crossing into a bin but his ability to use those skills in real time is very poor.

Playmakers have great spatial awareness, Bannan is no different so that criticism is nonsense. He can pick a pass in youth football and the reserves  so he has got the Hollywood "vision".

What matters is being able to do it under pressure - pressure can give even the best playmakers "tunnel vision".  

Handling the pressure in real time is what distinguishes the successful from the failures. He's shown he needs more experience here which he's not getting here at the moment.

I wouldn't have a problem with him getting that experience in our first team against the appropriate opposition. The litmus test is, we do well as a team when he plays. 

Edited by Con

His spatial awareness is bad. He holds off a player too far before they receive the ball and then mistimes his closing down and gets turned over and over again. He makes bad use of space, regularly turning the to the wrong side to put himself under pressure unnessecarily. And he managed to crash on the **** deserted motorway ;)

I don't have any stats to back that up as its quite difficult to quantify though, sorry.

Edit- Having vision and having spatial awareness are not the same thing.

Edited by ArteSuave

Edit- Having vision and having spatial awareness are not the same thing.

How is it not? I would completely disagree. You simply can't be a playmaker even in the non-professional leagues without great spatial awareness because you need to have an idea where everyone is, and will be, before and after you've kicked the ball.

Your criticisms may be accurate but it has nothing to do with spatial awareness. He is probably misjudging the speed of the game, and is being indecisive, unable to make up his mind which pass is best before he gets closed down. These things improve with game time.

"a beautiful footballer, absolutely lovely to watch" Ian Holloway

"He is an intelligent player, he can read the game well and adapt well. I don’t think Xavi and Iniesta, who are outstanding players, are of huge size. They are intelligent, they have the skill, they have the desire – young Barry has all of that." Houllier

"is in the mould of the best midfielders in the world", and said "I'm talking about Xavi, Iniesta and Paul Scholes". Darran Fletcher

so it cant be lack of ability he hasn't made it!!!!!