Barry Bannan

villianusa

Though I guess it is also a fact that he has a net positive points total for the team. But that's only because teams can't get minus points. Though every player in the league will be either 0 or positive so that's not really a good argument either.

Um, no you're wrong. It's not an opinion. It's a numerical fact.

It's only an opinion if I used that fact to say Bannan is a therefore great player

It is, however, a fact he has been net positive for us this season compared to the other players in the squad.

All I'm saying is, whatever your opinion is, it's impossible to argue against the fact that Bannan has been a net positive effect for the team this season.  You don't have to agree with me he is a great player but it is impossible for you to contradict that fact. Points accrued in the games he's played tell the story. Had he played all 35 games we would be on 43 points not 37 at an average of 1.22 points per game.

I just cannot believe/comprehend this in the slightest. 2+2 = 4 FACT. You cannot claim that we would have more points with Bannan playing every game. There are far too many variables in football. This is getting beyond a joke now.

All I'm saying is, whatever your opinion is, it's impossible to argue against the fact that Bannan has been a net positive effect for the team this season.  You don't have to agree with me he is a great player but it is impossible for you to contradict that fact. Points accrued in the games he's played tell the story. Had he played all 35 games we would be on 43 points not 37 at an average of 1.22 points per game.

That's a bizarre statement because in those games he played there were 10 other players on the pitch that influenced the game. He isn't responsible for the result, he's part of 11 players on a pitch.

If it was a solo sport like golf or snooker then this stat would be useful but for a team sport with so many players per team it's nonsense. I've been with my company for the last five years and are being very successful, the previous 5 years were ok. By your stat that means the company is more successful with me in it.

Con, as usual I totally & 100% disagree. Had Bannan played in all 35 Games this season we would undoubtedly now have less pts than both Reading & QPR & would be welcoming the likes of Bournemoth & Doncaster Rovers to villa Park next season & would be staring into the abyss. With his continual selection The 8-o loss to Chelsea would seem like his & our best result of the season

I know you love your stats but plain old common sense tells me & surely anyone with half a brain that the upshot & conclusion of all your research is just plain wrong, Wrong, wrong! wrong wrong wrong.

Currently, Bannan is crap. That may not be the case forever & the guy certainly can & may well  improve. ( let's face it, he really, really couldn't be much worse!) However, until such a time that he does I for one will forever remain groaning my nuts off & brickin' it whenever he is selected.

His name on the teamsheet fills me with dread & my common sense statistics (my eyes) tell me that the guy is an absolute nightmare both on & off the pitch!

Your opinions sail into a hurricane facts suggesting the opposite is true.

Not just one fact. Lots of them pointing the same way, which adds to credibility of a positive interpretation of Bannan's play for us this season.

Exceptional
* Crossing
* Set pieces
* Key passes
* High points per game ratio (was highest)

I can't 100% guarantee I'm right - this is where opinion comes in - but the probability's all these separate pieces of evidence add up to a great player who needs more game time.

That is why it's not whether "we" want to sell him - we want to keep someone who can pull these numbers - it's whether he'll demand a transfer for a team that will use his undoubted abilities.

Why isn't he in our team? My guess is he is much weaker defensively and Westwood while not quite as good as Bannan at set pieces is good enough for us not to miss him, except when Westwood has a bad day.

No, don't know which match it was. That's not recorded. If you ask me, he's played well in lots of matches so I don't know which one to suggest.

The drink-driving was stupid but if we were to choose our first XI based on driving history we would have nobody on the pitch. If we choose our fans based on driving history the stands would be half-empty.

Footballers as a group always seem to be either crashing, speeding or drink driving. The important thing is they learn from their mistakes and don't do it again. That applies to us all.

That said, I have no points on my driving licence and if you believe this makes my views carry more weight, go ahead and think that.

It was the 1-1 draw with Newcastle back in September last year.

Who awarded him that then? Surely it was Guzan or Ben Arfa?

Your opinions sail into a hurricane facts suggesting the opposite is true.

Not just one fact. Lots of them pointing the same way, which adds to credibility of a positive interpretation of Bannan's play for us this season.

Exceptional
* Crossing
* Set pieces
* Key passes
* High points per game ratio (was highest)

I can't 100% guarantee I'm right - this is where opinion comes in - but the probability's all these separate pieces of evidence add up to a great player who needs more game time.

That is why it's not whether "we" want to sell him - we want to keep someone who can pull these numbers - it's whether he'll demand a transfer for a team that will use his undoubted abilities.

Why isn't he in our team? My guess is he is much weaker defensively and Westwood while not quite as good as Bannan at set pieces is good enough for us not to miss him, except when Westwood has a bad day.

Con - As stated previously, your stats are all about opinion that do not qualify closer scrutiny. All I will say is , whoever is wrong ( & I'm not saying who those person or persons may be -  I'll leave that for others to decide) this is surely a classic case of:

" Should have gone to Specsavers!"

What the **** man? WHAT THE ****?

What the **** man? WHAT THE ****?

Yep he fundamentally misunderstands causality and forecasting. His posts are amongst the most idiotic things I've ever read online.

• Like 1

Hopefully KEA is back on the bench and Barry is back in the reserves or the pub where he belongs

Maybe Gardner will be back on the bench today... he is in the squad for the first time since recovering from injury.

Think we should rename the thread to The Con Thread.

Then your reading of this thread is as selective as your observations regarding Bannan's football.