Barry Bannan

villianusa

Surely if Bannan was as bad as you say he is there would be no statistics worth posting, let alone statistics that showed he was best in the Premier League at something.

If you are so "comfortable" within your own mind of Bannan being an average player you would have no need to constantly correct me that these statistics that show he's exceptional at something are irrelevant.

There are lots of reasons now to stick with the current set up: 2 industrious midfielders + Westwood. I don't want Bannan recalled to the first XI next match even though he is objectively great at certain aspects of the game.

Nobody is bigger than the team.

That's the point Con these stats aren't worth posting.

I also don't "constantly" correct you and if I did it would only be done because this is a discussion board. If everyone took the line of when I'm comfortable with my own opinion I wont post nothing would get posted.

With the exception of Liverpool away (and even that is being generous) when has Bannan had an outstanding game?

Don't know why you spent an hour going through those stats. Took me less than a second to come up with these...

Bannan corner assists: 0

Westwood corner assists: 2

And you know what? Westwood's corners are often whipped in with pace creating havoc around the box. Bannan's often are floaty backspinned ones, which even though contact might be made by a Villa player and therefore be accurate on your stats, are totally impotent.

That's the point Con these stats aren't worth posting.

Why not?

Isn't it interesting, for the laughs, even if Bannan is the worst player ever to put on a Villa shirt, that he also is best corner taker in the Premier League?

That's funny if not interesting.

Don't know why you have to get all Nazi telling us what is and what isn't worth posting.

It's not as if the stat's show Bannan's 3rd best in PL and that's being hyped up. 1st. First.

Don't know why you spent an hour going through those stats. Took me less than a second to come up with these...

Bannan corner assists: 0

Westwood corner assists: 2

And you know what? Westwood's corners are often whipped in with pace creating havoc around the box. Bannan's often are floaty backspinned ones, which even though contact might be made by a Villa player and therefore be accurate on your stats, are totally impotent.

Your memory is hilarously selective. Westwood floated at least one against Sunderland yesterday.

I remember Bannan whipping in corners. They were mixed in style. Either way, let's not pretend to be village idiots to support our points. It's the manager and coach's decision what kind of corners are taken. These are worked at on the training ground.

Don't know why you have to get all Nazi telling us what is and what isn't worth posting.

Riiiight but you saying they are worth posting is different?

I notice you didn't answer the question about when he has had an outstanding game.

If only football was about taking corners and even then it could be argued that these corner stats are only the interpretation of a football website.

Why are you motivated to post to this thread Houston? 

All you are doing is slating Bannan, and slating anyone with anything constructive to say to illuminate discussion.

Nothing wrong with posting some corner statistics. Don't know what your problem is.

Edited by Con

Why are you motivated to post to this thread Houston? 

All you are doing is slating Bannan, and slating anyone with anything constructive to say to illuminate discussion.

Nothing wrong with posting some corner statistics. Don't know what your problem is.

Its a thread about Bannan, you rate him I don't  You post that he is good I disagree, I have just as much right to post about him as you. Otherwise this thread would go along the lines of "isnt Bannan great?"

I have not "slated" you once.

I have no problem, please ponder no more.

Still no answer to the question regarding when he has been outstanding.

In all my time as a Villa fan never have I seen such a defence of such an average player.

This is slating me. I was posting some data that showed Bannan was a better corner taker than Westwood, and you trot this out.

Then you said

If you did invent some new ones they would be about as relevant as the ones you do use.

I'm illuminating discussion with interesting stats. Cannot be more interesting stats for any player than those that show that player is best in Premier League at something.

I've not used those stats to suggest Bannan should be in the first XI for the next game.

You are in this thread "fishing" for me to say something which you can then use to beat me with.

All I did was research some stats on request. And I get all this agro.

Edited by Con

That really isnt slating you.

The stats arent interesting

I'm not fishing, I have asked you a question which you don't seem to wish to answer.

Not long ago you were saying not playing Bannan is relegating Villa, that sounds like you think he should be playing.

Anyway time for a hot chocolate and a bit of Kenny G

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm not fishing, I have asked you a question you don't seem to wish to answer.

Not long ago you were saying not playing Bannan is relegating Villa, that sounds like you think he should be playing.

I haven't got around to answering your question because I don't yet know whether you are going to listen. You already said you believe I post useless stats.

Why should you respect my opinion on Bannan's best games this season?

The Fulham game was winnable and our performance was pathetic. We had 49% possession against Fulham - at home. Fulham are dreadful away and always defensive, it was really poor that they dominated the game.

Against QPR and Reading (winnable games we won) - with Bannan - we had 56%. We bossed those games.

Not only was the Fulham game questionable, the Stoke performance tailed off badly in the 2nd half and we were only saved by Lowton.

Against Sunderland, Sylla made the difference with his high press. We controlled the game with 52% possession.

Since we won that game, I'm not one to change a winning team unless tactics absolutely dictate otherwise, and against Norwich away they don't.

Con, I think this is a great thread. Also, reading through, I do not believe that Houlston has slated you. The only person he has slated is Barry Bannan, but so have I & thousands more probably.

As stated previously, I believe that as interesting as your statistics are, you are misinterpreting their actual eventual & obvious outcome. If I take only one corner & a goal results from it & Bannan according to your stats takes 65 without reward surely only my corner is key.

Also, the world & his dog know that until recently Aston Villa were absolutely piss poor at defending corners & were conceding them for fun. Even Bradford City were taking the piss.

Does that not suggest that all of these deliverers & especially so the Bradford City deliverer are better at corners than Bannon? I suggest that the answer is undeniably & overwhelmingly yes, yes, yes.

Also, it's great Con that right now even you acknowledge that the current team that played against Sunderland are a better team without Bannon.

I bow to your magnanimity & wisdom in acknowledging that Aston Villa are the bigger picture here.

I'm sure we'll all drink to that. :cheers:

Additionally, doesn't this also tell you that

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm not fishing, I have asked you a question you don't seem to wish to answer.

I haven't got around to answering your question because I don't yet know whether you are going to listen. You already said you believe I post useless stats.

Why should you respect my opinion on Bannan's best games this season?

The Fulham game was winnable and our performance was pathetic. We had 49% possession against Fulham - at home. Fulham are dreadful away and always defensive, it was really poor that they dominated the game.

Against QPR and Reading (winnable games we won) - with Bannan - we had 56%. We bossed those games.

Not only was the Fulham game questionable, the Stoke performance tailed off badly in the 2nd half and we were only saved by Lowton.

Against Sunderland, Sylla made the difference with his high press. We controlled the game with 52% possession.

Since we won that game, I'm not one to change a winning team unless tactics absolutely dictate otherwise, and against Norwich away they don't.

But possession doesn't always mean you will win the game, it certainly helps. A recent game which you may have seen the winning team won 4-0 but only had 35% possession

http://espnfc.com/match?id=364639&cc=3436

In all my time as a Villa fan never have I seen such a defence of such an average player.

What  do you mean "defence"? I'm just pointing out the statistics.

Would you like me to invent new statistics to support your view he is an average player? Not going to.

I've got one

Appearances: 18

I have seen Bannan take these corners and he is not the best. They are all horrible floaters which give us no chance of scoring. 

That is actually a good point. If every time he took a corner it was lightly floated in but found its target I guess the statisticians would consider it a successful corner, but it doesn't make it a good corner. There is no power on the ball for the forwards to use making it very difficult to score from.

Edited by Houlston

Before accusing me of making stuff up, why not take the time and effort I did and check out the facts for yourself?

3342kvo.png

You only remember the corner kicks that support your pre-held bias. And anyway, as I keep saying, corner kick style is decided on by the manager and coaching staff and practised in training. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way.

I'm not gathering my information selectively. That table is from all corners taken by Westwood and Bannan this season. I've not stated that this table means Bannan is a better player than Westwood. All it shows is he is a more accurate corner taker and more of his corners deliver scoring opportunities than Westwood's.

What you guys are doing is remembering all Bannan's bad corners, none of his good ones, remembering all of Westwood's good corners and none of his bad ones, and coming to the conclusion Bannan is shit at corners and Westwood is great. You can do analysis better than that if you may at least a tiny effort to be fair.

For example, how many remember Westwood's corner's against Fulham? Westwood is a good corner taker, not slating him. But he had a bad game taking corners and nobody is slating his corner taking. Why should Bannan, who has better stats than him be different?

35lua93.png