Barry Bannan

villianusa

Sorry but he wasn't our most effective midfielder.

Sorry but he wasn't our most effective midfielder.

For the amount of touches he had stuck out on LW, and for the amount of time he was on the pitch (half-time sub), he was our most effective midfielder.

I'm defining effective as being dangerous to the opposition. Delph had a good game defensively but did not do anything incisive with all the touches he had.

That is why Lambert eventually subbed Westwood, who was not having the best game, and brought Bannan into CM with Delph about 15 minutes from time.

That decision was made way too late. Bannan should have started.

Edited by Con

I find this both daft and arrogant in the extreme, that you can presume to be the only person to view his performances without bias. You appear to think that despite the vast majority of people thinking very differently to you, that you are in some way able to rise above bias and have an unaffected view of him while everyone else is incapable of being objective.

I disagree, if you read through the last pages you will find Bannan has a lot of supporters on here.

You endlessly posted the same old sats, the same old stats which seem to be doing nothing to convince anyone to change their mind about what they see with their own eyes. For all I know these stats could be made up, who knows, I don't care enough to check.

I have provided the source for my stats. Whoscored.com and my own data on minutes played - which can be checked by anyone with the interest to do so.

Have you ever considered that perhaps rather than everyone else being biased and incapable of being objective that perhaps you are the one who for some reason is lacking objectivity or perhaps that you might just be wrong?

If someone plays well and people say he is as terrible as ever, that is the moment when I feel bias - who knows where it is from - influences judgement.

Bannan was at the very least an upgrade on N'Zogbia but nobody is giving him the credit for that.

He has been criticised for his corners but one today was half-a-post-width away from being a goal.

That would have been another assist. Bannan has been very unlucky over the last two games that his excellent delivery has not been converted into any goals.

Made a massive difference when he came on, gave us someone with a bit of technical ability in the attacking part of the pitch and lo and behold we attacked well and were very unlucky not to score. He needs to start with Westwood and a new, tough CDM.

Today, during the second half a couple of chaps in front of me had a conversation that went like this:

"We need Gabby on"

"Yeah. Who would you take off?"

"Dunno. You?"

"Bannan."

"Ah yeah, me too he's been shit."

I looked at the clock, it said 49:22 seconds. Bannan had been on for 4 minutes and 22 seconds.

Bannan isn't the second coming of Zico, and he's not about to win the PFA player of the season, but in my opinion not only is he far from being our worst player, he's become the fan scapegoat - I do believe there's a bias out there, and I do think there are people jumping on a bandwagon - because what I see with my eyes doesn't balance with what some are saying on here.

I think there's a more balanced perspective to be found than the one that Cons presents, but I think there's a more balanced perspective to be found than the one Trent presents too.

Not great today, he's not got the burst of running pace or power you need to play well down the flanks, but still not awful.

As for Bannan having a lot of supports, no sorry he doesn't and yes I've read the thread thanks.

I don't think I'm on my own.

In the last five pages, there have been 8 supportive comments from 8 different posters. Now 9 including lexicon, above.

When I say these are supportive comments, I'm not saying they are not at all critical. I am often critical of Bannan's play and you can read my criticisms in posts on previous pages.

So the following posters I would say are not haters, rather than supporters. I'll leave them to their own posts to say what level of support they'd give the player.

Bannan's a good footballer. Don't get why so many are so keen to write him off or make him scapegoat for all the team's woes

Bannan is useful squad player ... his corners are improving and him and Westwood haev a decent partnership in the middle

out of those 4

bannan and herd can improve

Didn't he set up 3 sitters for our forwards? ... Not bad for the forum fall guy eh.

He should be played as an attacking midfielder rather then a deep lying play maker.

This. I reckon Bannan would shine with a decent DCM next to him, instead of Delph. A lot of what went forward last night went through him.

Bannan's a nice footballer, but unless he plays alongside a beast of a midfielder like Diame, or Sandro for example, then he is too much of a lightweight. Bannan is the kind of player, that if you have faith in him, you build your team around. He would need at least 2 defensive minded midfielders alongside him imho.

Xavi has Busquets behind him, who is an incredibly underrated player.

Bannan was our most creative player yesterday. He should've had at least 4 assists, but thanks to the inability of Benteke's finishing...he didn't. I cannot believe some views here.

... This lad as i mentioned before is a scapegoat ...

He won't ever dominate a game, but does his part...at times he's ran himself to the ground(for example Man Utd and Arsenal) Bannan is vastly becoming vital for us. Hope he stays on great little player.

Edited by Con

I think there's a more balanced perspective to be found than the one that Cons presents, but I think there's a more balanced perspective to be found than the one Trent presents too.

All I've presented OBE is my opinion of the player and the fact that his goals and assist stats are woeful because they are woeful. I don't recall having ever said he is our worst player, I don't think he is. But given the pivotal role he has within the team, given that most our play goes through him and that he takes most of our woeful set pieces and the fact he can't tackle have a significant impact on the quality of the team.

In addition, while the likes of Bennett have been worse than him they have played far fewer games and so I'm prepared to give them more time. Bannan has for me had enough time, he isn't going to get any better.

I don't think I'm on my own.

I didn't say you did.

In the last five pages, there have been 8 supportive comments from 8 different posters. Now 9 including lexicon, above.

I didn't say you were the only one. I said he doesn't have a lot of supporters not that he didn't have any.

It's the drink driving thing that people can't get passed...nothing to do with is footballing ability.

Today without him...first half...we got bossed.....2nd half when he came on we bossed the match.

I think the Spanish giants have probably get their scouts watching him.

Edited by supernova26

It's the drink driving thing that people can't get passed...nothing to do with is footballing ability.

Today without him...first half...we got bossed.....2nd half when he came on we bossed the match.

I think the Spanish giants have probably get their scouts watching him.

We'll see.

I remember the exact same defence of albrighton when people questioned him.

He turned out exactly as i thought and i'll be surprised if bannan doesn't.

All I've presented OBE is my opinion of the player and the fact that his goals and assist stats are woeful because they are woeful. I don't recall having ever said he is our worst player, I don't think he is. But given the pivotal role he has within the team, given that most our play goes through him and that he takes most of our woeful set pieces and the fact he can't tackle have a significant impact on the quality of the team.

In addition, while the likes of Bennett have been worse than him they have played far fewer games and so I'm prepared to give them more time. Bannan has for me had enough time, he isn't going to get any better.

The set pieces today were great though.

We can agree he is not a tackler. I don't think he should be in the team to tackle. That is why some think he should be paired with a "Busquets" - a strong DM.

As for number of assists, as Leon Britton has shown for Swansea you don't need to have any goals or assists to be an important member of the squad/team.

Also, you need goalscorers to get assists and apart from Bent we've not had many real goalscorers in the team until this year.

This year Bannan has one assist, and has not had that much game (50% available minutes in midfield) and when he has delivered like today or in midweek against Bradford, the team-mate hasn't found the net.

The important thing is the team is creating chances. When the team is not creating chances - then you worry. I was worried in the first half when Bannan wasn't playing.

Edited by Con