Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Good signing for pool and a good move by us to sell him this summer rather than wait until next year and lose him for alot less money. Big 'Eck really needs to buy well if we are to get top half next season.

As for being a feeder club, we are one get over it. Its the same for clubs like spurs, everton etc. If your not in the champions league your a feeder club or a relegation battler or both.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last January we were the big club exercising our clout to buy Darren Bent off Sunderland.

I don't think we are a selling club, but we have sold players that have weakened us on the playing field.

That said Arsenal, Man United and indeed Liverpool have been forced to sell their best players the last few seasons.

It's all about the money and players can manipulate transfers, they have too much power.

I see Modric is complaining to the press to try and get his move sorted again.

Every club is a "feeder" club, every club sells its best players with the exception of probably two in the whole world.

Its not that we're going backwards either its that other clubs have come forward over the past decade in a way that no one could have imagined, we are still a strong team in one of the hardest leagues in the world.

Fans will continue to moan about one thing or another until we get that CL place and guess what it aint gonna happen. So just get over it and realise that Villa is not a top four side and nor has it been for a very very long time. We wont be relegated we just have to compete as best and hope for a cup win just like its been for almost the entire creation of the premier league. I dont really see what the big shock or dismay is.

My biggest issue with Downing and Young going is not that they have gone or that we cant hold onto them. My worry is that its unlikely that we will spend the £36m from their transfers.

I'd love Adam Johnson eve if it's only a loan.

Adam Johnson is the player we should have signed instead of Downing. He was a better player back then and hes certainly a better player now. If we could get him in for 15m that would be unbelievable business.

Actually, the more i think about this deal the more i think Liverpool are totally off their rocker. There are plenty of players out there better than Downing they could get for 20m or even less. I think the english players ruling is having a big influence on who Liverpool are signing. But at the same time they are wasting alot of money on pretty average players. Henderson, Carroll and Downing - 75m for those 3!! **** madness!!

Funny I've been saying for a while we were a feeder club only to get dogs abuse on here for it. Who'd have thought it

Some clubs have got more money than us Richard, get over it.

:crylaugh:

You wont me to get over it? Funny as I have been saying for two years we do not have enough money and it is other fans who have been telling me I am talking bollocks!

Good deal for both club and player, i'm staggered by some of the abuse Downing is getting for wanting to leave, he was far and away our best player last year, he did well in wearing the shirt and we've got a handsome profit from his effort. I wished we got that from more players, instead we make hero's out of players who fail, and leave for a fraction of what we paid, or on free transfers.

Weird.

Actually, the more i think about this deal the more i think Liverpool are totally off their rocker. There are plenty of players out there better than Downing they could get for 20m or even less. I think the english players ruling is having a big influence on who Liverpool are signing. But at the same time they are wasting alot of money on pretty average players. Henderson, Carroll and Downing - 75m for those 3!! **** madness!!

Without this becoming a lovefest for Liverpool.

I think Downing will fit them perfectly, although I still don't think they will be strong enough to challenge for the league.

The prospect of him working well with Carroll and this being pushed through to the England team is the only positive I can see personally.

Needless to say, I think they'll be a fair few boos around Villa Park this season.

Stewart Downing, you are an ungrateful little cup of willy milk, and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.

It will be interesting to see what we do with all this money we supposedly have now. Who knows, we might end up with some technically talented wingers. At the moment we have no real creativity in the side, Big Eck has already acknowledged this in an interview so let's see who we get. N'Zogbia will be a good start.

Unfortunately I've got a few mates that are Liveprool fans... this is what I sent to them this morning...

Well, it looks like DJ is joining you. I think that in terms of what you've paid for him, you've been mugged. But, does that matter?

He is a decent player. He's not going to set the world alight at Anfield but he will do a job for you. There are better English wingers - Young, Johnson, Lennon but you had no chance of signing them (Young wouldn't sign for Liverpool and Man City and Spurs won't sell to you). There are also better foreign players Mata, Navas, Krasic, Shaqiri, Vargas, N'Zogbia, but signing them would not been in keeping with Kenny's 'buy English' policy.

You need a decent wide player and Downing will suffice. Do not believe the hype - he is pacey. He was one of the fastest players in our squad behind Ash and Gabby. He can also take a good free-kick (although he never got the chance because of Ash). He recently became known for cutting inside and running directly at the box. He has a good finish and will grab a couple of goals. His crossing isn't amazing Albrighton was a far far better crosser of the ball for us last season, but Downing isn't a crossing sort of player.

As for the price. More City/Liverpool spendthrift madness. I remember people taking the piss when we paid £11m for him, I don't think he is worth much more than that, even in today's inflated market. But the fact is, we would never have sold him for that. I don't know much about Liverpool's finances, but I assume that with the new owners you can afford to splash the cash - money doesn't matter... Unfortunately this isn't the case for us, we are in danger of falling foul of the new financial rules when they kick in an thus need to get on an even keel (our revenue is obviously much less than yours).

So what does it mean for the Villa? I live in hope that we will replace him with a couple of the players that you couldn't get or didn't want - N'Zogbia & Johnson would be the dream - but you've just made them much more expensive. Unfortunately, I think their is a danger that, like delusional fans up and down the country, our Board believe we have youth coming through equivalent to Utd in the 90's. Whilst they've got good reason to believe it - our kids dominated the reserve league for the third year in a row (the 10 goal demolition of Arsenal being a case in point), I think that if there's any chance of some of them breaking through, they need to be slowly blooded rather than thrown in at the deep end. Perhaps another relegation fight beckons for us?

Don't get the hate for Downing.

To me he is no worse than Barry, Milner and Ash.

They all left at the first opportunity to go to the first club that showed an interest and had better finances.

Downing has made as much profit for us as Ash as well.

We just need to move on, re-invest and show them what they are missing at VP.

They all left at the first opportunity to go to the first club that showed an interest and had better finances.

Think it was probably the 'I will repay the faith shown in me' and 'I'll stay even if Villa are relegated' quotes that most people are a bit peeved about.

I had a look and that article was published on Sky Sports on 1st April! Ah, the irony.

He's worse. What really gets to people is how he was talking about how he wanted to stay when we were in a relegation battle, then when we finish the season strongly and end up 9th he does a complete u-turn and starts talking about how he's not sure of his future and how he wants to play in the Champions League. To add further insult to injury he goes and joins Liverpool who aren't even in the Europa league. Can you honestly say with a straight face that it looks likely Liverpool will make top 4 next season?

Ash Young is the only one i respect and that i would clap on return. Never said anything in the media.. neither did his manager.. and it was done really quickly. He went to a bigger club MUCH bigger club with a chance to win trophies. Ultimate professional.

The rest... for wanting 'Champions League Football' and went to other clubs without it.. are a disgrace.

barry'sboots wrote:

I think the anger is a reflection of just how much tapping up has been going on ...like Milner/Barry etc.... most likely away with England again.

it's just hard to fathom how a player gets from this in April??

Downing makes Villa vow

Stewart Downing has promised to remain at Aston Villa even if they suffer relegation from the Premier League.

The England winger has been in fine form and boosted his chances of regular international action with an impressive performance in England's 1-1 draw with Ghana at Wembley in midweek.

However, speculation has suggested the likes of Downing and team-mate Ashley Young could leave Villa Park at the end of the season.

The transfer talk would only intensify if Gerard Houllier's men dropped out of the top flight and they are currently embroiled in a scrap for survival alongside at least half the teams in the division.

Downing is determined not to finish in the bottom three, but has pledged his future to the club even if the worst does happen.

The winger recognises that he owes a lot to Villa after they signed him when he was out with a broken ankle which delayed his debut for eight months.

Faith

Asked if he would guarantee being at Villa next season, the winger said: "Yes. Obviously there is speculation about players going to clubs all the time but I am happy here.

"Since the first day I came I have enjoyed it. The pleasing thing for me this season has been to play well and to stay fit and be in the team.

"I have not even thought about leaving at any time. A lot faith went in to me.

"The club paid a lot of money for me when I was injured and it was a serious injury.

"I want to repay that faith and so do a lot of the other players as well.

"They have been bought for decent money and they want to do well as well."

Sky Sports

Â