Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Look on the bright side - we ain't gonna miss him anyway.

We all know our new system will be 8-0-0 , so why on earth waste valuable squad space with attacking players.

20m Downing = Ridgwell 3m , Fergusun 6m, Foster 8m and a quick smash and grab Konechesky 3m .

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....

We have lost 2 of our best players

We need 2 replacements no way in hell is albrighton ready to play a full season yet he should be rotated

Of course i expect our board to sign 1 replacement at best and pay over the odds because they didn't have a replacement lined up prior to Downing leaving which has been looking almost certain for weeks now.... Add an extra 5 million on any fee agreed with Nzogbia i'm now starting to lose faith in our board the buck has to stop somewhere whether it be with Faulkner or Lerner himself we really are a shambles

Oh did i forget to mention we still do not have a goalkeeper? The way our board conduct their business i expect us to get one in next century at a push...

Look on the bright side - we wouldn't sell him unless we had a replacement signed up :) cough cough

haha, replacements...no replacements lined up and I fear none are coming.

We may get one signing as an attempt to fool fans, ala Bent but other than that I dont see might of a bright future.

I'd rather Albrighton played a full season than Downing, I think he's the better player

Ridiculus comment.

Just because Downing is leaving, lets not pretend he is shit!

There's plenty of things Albrighton does better than Downing. Downing isn't shit (and he didnt say so) but I don't think he's as great as many think. He lies somewhere inbetween.

Indeed - but interestingly enough Liverpool wouldn't pay the 20m we demanded and we ended up selling him to man city at a little over half that.

I would suggest that this was the ultimate deciding factor for Randy - Downing was not going to sign a new contract regardless, and in the end getting another season out of him was not going to be worth the 10m pound hit he was likely to take by selling him next year instead.

Your right but the different slant on the situation is that we got a further good season out of one of our best players, cemented our position in 6th and was able to give his replacement 12 months playing in the side and settling in to the team? Then we sold the guy quickly and without any fuss and then reinvested the money into Downing.

Not all that bad as far as I can see?

Thing what annoys me is that it's not only about strengthening YOUR team - it's about having other teams trying to weaken OTHER teams.

Milner, Young, Barry & now Downing were 4 great players for us and their loss over the past few years has for definite weakened us.

It's not just about business.

Villa have to stop supplying England internationals, only to have them leave after being tapped up.

Thing what annoys me is that it's not only about strengthening YOUR team - it's about having other teams trying to weaken OTHER teams.

Milner, Young, Barry & now Downing were 4 great players for us and their loss over the past few years has for definite weakened us.

It's not just about business.

Villa have to stop supplying England internationals, only to have them leave after being tapped up.

Villa haven't cultivated this culture, the Premier League, Uefa and the FA have. Players hold all the cards along with the clubs with bottomless pits of money.

I'd rather Albrighton played a full season than Downing, I think he's the better player

Ridiculus comment.

Just because Downing is leaving, lets not pretend he is shit!

There's plenty of things Albrighton does better than Downing. Downing isn't shit (and he didnt say so) but I don't think he's as great as many think. He lies somewhere inbetween.

Right, let me say again, it is ridiculus to say that Marc Albrighton is even in the same league as Stewart Downing. Albrighton is good but as good or even close to Downing? Give me a break!

If Albrighton is that good, then why didnt Liverpool sign him instead of Downig as he would have cost a hell of a lot less than £20m?

Like i said, ridiculus comment.

Â