Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Whelan has admitted he has to sell N'Zogbia because he's not signing a new contract and has 1 year left. He's not in a position to play hardball. All his posturing in the media about the value of other players in relation to his player won't change the price too much.

I think that there will be an extra 5 mill tagged on for good measure now that the transfer window dealings are moving in earnest.

He was going to blues for what, 10 mil?? Lets see what he goes for in this window

I agree that his price will be raised, but we need a replacement in fast, we can afford it so just offer the £15m and be done with it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that his price will be raised, but we need a replacement in fast, we can afford it so just offer the £15m and be done with it.

Another one for the new dummies guide to running a football club that Randy must be writing??

Glad he won't be around for the annual embarrassment of being booed by his own fans in a pre-season friendly at Walsall. Hopefully we'll have sepnt the money gained from him by then. Its back to the drawing board time for AVFC.

Another one for the new dummies guide to running a football club that Randy must be writing??

For your information i understand it's not that easy, i was just saying that we should hang around and penny pinch on this one as we will lose out and he will go elsewhere.

So how about you wind your neck in!

Do you not think Villa wouldn't have played hardball? They did over Barry who ALSO put in a transfer request let's not forget!!! Liverpool failed because they didn't have the balls to pay what he was worth. They learnt a lesson Randy & Villa won't be messed with.

I think the past 12 months have proved anything it has proved that Aston Villa didn't play hardball over Barry, Martin O'Neill did !

And when Martin O'Neill wanted to play hardball over Milner, and the club went behind his back - he walked.

There were threads all over the internet last summer about whose fault it was / and why MON went - I think it is now abudantly clear !

For your information i understand it's not that easy, i was just saying that we should hang around and penny pinch on this one as we will lose out and he will go elsewhere.

So how about you wind your neck in!

Calm down it was just a bit of a joke!

I can't understand why we didn't buy the Zog first after we sold Ash??

Why wait until we have another 20m in our pockets I can't understand this at all?

Mystified and down right gutted. We've got a completely shite manager in charge and now we've lost our best player, unsuprisiningly and you can't blame downing I might add.

They talk about replacements, what a joke, who wants to play for him or us...only desperate showers of shite thats who. I want to send bent an apology card, apologising for miss selling him the poor lad.

Whole thing smacks of asset stripping on a wind down. Big deck had one chance of earning some respect in showing balls and keeping downing but no.

So gutted I could cry.

The exit door is wide open at VP, I don’t like the way that clubs are publicly tapping up players in the media etc, hopefully Liverpool will struggle as they have done for the last couple of seasons. We finished strongly last season and managed to string some excellent results together and beat Liverpool, but the team did include Young, Friedel, Reo-coker and Downing.

What concerns me most is how things have changed so quickly at VP, one season we are challenging top 4/5, in Europe, two Cup finals and really going places; then we were potentially looking at The Championship and cold Tuesday nights away at Scunthorpe.

Randy must decide what his priority is and if he cannot afford the challenge anymore he must allow somebody who has an interest to take over and lead us forward.

Don’t get me wrong I am not holding out for a Sheik with £2 Billion, but consistent top 5 finishes, Europa league and good cup run.

Villa till I die.

AM is looking like more and more like Randy's lapdog. The next four weeks are make or break for him. He needs to make some impressive signings and fast.

Names talked about like Given, Hutton, N'Zogbia, Parker and Rodellaga(?) would replace Friedel, Young, Downing, NRC and Walker but would leave us weaker than last season, not stronger.

Beye, Warnock and Heskey are not good enough and need to be sold and replaced.

That's EIGHT signings just to stand still from last season.

Dunne, Collins and Ireland all have a lot to prove and I doubt all of them will succeed.

The only bright spots are the some of the youngsters, but even there only a couple look real first team material - Clark's emergence means we didnt need to replace Davies and Albrighton should improve again this season (but I don't want to load too much expectation on him)

All in all we're going backwards very quickly - Good luck with the season ticket sales Randy

PROUD HISTORY, BLEAK FUTURE

Didn't O'Neill sell Barry in the end! I think he ws in charge at that time.

Indeed - but interestingly enough Liverpool wouldn't pay the 20m we demanded and we ended up selling him to man city at a little over half that.

I would suggest that this was the ultimate deciding factor for Randy - Downing was not going to sign a new contract regardless, and in the end getting another season out of him was not going to be worth the 10m pound hit he was likely to take by selling him next year instead.

Personally I think Randy did the only thing realistically open to him - got a price well above what the player was worth in market terms.

The critical thing for me is what happens with that money & how we spend will be the true indicator of where our chairman is leading us.

Â