Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

this sort of shit happens when you have a shit manager, it goes with the territory.

proof being farbrigas at arsenal, he has 'been off' for 2 or more seasons to barca, yet wenger is a good manager and had managed to keep him at the club and in doing so, attracted other good players.

he knew full well that selling fabregas at that time would have had a major impact on the quality of player he could attract.

if we had signed a top manager, i bet there would have been a close to 100% chance downing wouldnt be looking for a move.

obviously we will not know either way unless he comes out and speaks but until GH left and rumours we were appointing a shit manager surfaced, he was happy.

we get a shit manager then what happens?

oh dear.

mind you no doubt some will try and pretend it is a positive.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that. I was speaking to someone off twitter who knows Downing and said LFC is his dream club, his twitter is:

http://twitter.com/#!/intheknow99

Check his tweets with Tim_LFC8 (which is me btw)

Actually I'll add them myself..

@Tim_LFC8 It was all a front for the press. I heard from the man himself that he wants to go to Liverpool. Feels badly treated by Houllier.

Spoke to my guy re:Downing, he still wants to go, sees #Liverpool as a dream club, and Dalglish is a big fan.

@Tim_LFC8 This is what I heard (from Downing himself, genuinely, will take a few tweets) In January, Chelsea and Liverpool bid for him...

@Tim_LFC8 Houllier rejected both, and didn't tell Downing. Last month, Downing learnt that they made bids, and was angry he wasn't told...

@Tim_LFC8 then Dalglish got in touch with Downing just before he agreed to become permanent manager, and said he wants him as his first...

@Tim_LFC8 signing, and to refuse to sign any contract. Downing has told Villa he wants to go. This is the point we are up to

IF true,

A) That is an illegal approach

B) Why is he pissed off with Houllier for not telling him about these two bids? Just so he can then hand in a transfer request and leave? Get real Downing.

So what if it is illegal. It's not like Liverpool will get found out, and even if they do I'm not sure the FA would do anything anyway.

And I can really see that version of events from that Liverpool 'itk' to be true. It was very weird how Downing suddenly went from willing to sign a new contract to 'I can't commit to anything at this stage of my career'. There 100% was some kind of outside involvement.

And I don't really care about it now.

Barry, Milner, Young.... may as well add Downing to that list. Easily replaceable IMO, as well as Young, but Downing is easier to replace.

Maybe Young and Downing had built a bit of an ego. Maybe we would be better off without them now? Maybe we should start again with players who are committed and willing to fight for the team? If we do we shouldn't expect too much especially after the season we just had.

According to Tony Barrett of The Times on talkSPORT just now, Liverpool made a bid of £12m for Downing at the start of the summer.

Yes, £12m the same fee that we paid to Boro when he had a broken foot and was at a club who had just been relegated.

This after his best season in recent years where he was voted POTY by both the fans and the players, and re-established himself in the England squad.

£12m they bid.

Derisory that.

Bunch of pricks.

According to Tony Barrett of The Times on talkSPORT just now, Liverpool made a bid of £12m for Downing at the start of the summer.

Yes, £12m the same fee that we paid to Boro when he had a broken foot and was at a club who had just been relegated.

This after his best season in recent years where he was voted POTY by both the fans and the players, and re-established himself in the England squad.

£12m they bid.

Derisory that.

Bunch of pricks.

Also take into account that they have just signed Henderson for £20m! Henderson is someone with lots of potential but certainly not the finished article, then they insult us by saying £19m is too much for Downing...the same Downing that just got back into the England squad after having his best ever season and voted our player of the season. Maybe that should tell Downing just how much they really want him.

Great point....!

If Henderson is worth 20 million and Caroll 35 million...!

Then Downing must be in between!

They can have him for that...! especially with the UEFA fair play rule coming in to practice this year.

How will they balance the books especially if they dont qualify for the CL which is a possibility...!

Great point....!

If Henderson is worth 20 million and Caroll 35 million...!

Then Downing must be in between!

They can have him for that...! especially with the UEFA fair play rule coming in to practice this year.

How will they balance the books especially if they dont qualify for the CL which is a possibility...!

A possibility? A certainty!

Rumours have it that Downing is set to hand in a transfer request.

Downing did hand in a transfer request at Boro.

But I remember in a recent interview, he said that he regretted handing in that transfer request at Boro.

So I would be surprised and disappointed if he handed in a transfer request at Villa, after having said how he regretted handing in a transfer request at Boro.

just because he hands in a transfer request doesnt mean anything should change. liverpool either pay what we want or they dont get him

downings not gonna refuse to play for us in the season leading up to the euros when he's in the england picture

just because he hands in a transfer request doesnt mean anything should change. liverpool either pay what we want or they dont get him

downings not gonna refuse to play for us in the season leading up to the euros when he's in the england picture

yes but a player wanting out leads to issues and shit we dont need with young players thinking is the norm, I say let him go for 15m + if hes gonna be an asshole about it!

yes but a player wanting out leads to issues and shit we dont need with young players thinking is the norm, I say let him go for 15m + if hes gonna be an asshole about it!

but if hes an asshole about it you drop him to the reserves where he completely misses out on his england place, then you sell him on at the end of the season

why let him bully us here? we have all the power this time, its not like ash, barry or milner with a year left. we had this situation with barry and we managed it quite well, id expect a repeat of that if we dont get what we're looking for

The thing about him putting in a request is that he will forego (sp?) any severance pay so in theory the price can come down slightly. I'd take £18m if he puts in a request and we don't pay him a **** bean.

He's really gone down in my estimation the little **** weasel.

but if hes an asshole about it you drop him to the reserves where he completely misses out on his england place, then you sell him on at the end of the season

why let him bully us here? we have all the power this time, its not like ash, barry or milner with a year left. we had this situation with barry and we managed it quite well, id expect a repeat of that if we dont get what we're looking for

I agree.

At the end of the day, he's contracted to AVFC for the next two years.

I wouldn't mind playing hardball and keeping him for another year, or even keeping him for the next two years and letting him leave for nothing.

We need to take a stronger stance when it comes to keeping our best players - see Spurs Re: Modric

KEEP HIM IN THE RESERVES, are u **** mad!!! this guy is on big wages at villa, if he wants out, ship him on, open the door, no room for people who dont respect a club who has taken faith in u as an injured player!! I just hope the door breaks his ass on the way out!!

seriously this guy is better of gone than soaking up valuable wages and decreasing in value with less time on his contract, you would prefer a downing in reserves and us unable to sign someone else because hes taken the wages, are u serious thinking thats good business>

of course we are all jumpoing to newspaper reports and he could have no intention of leaving whatsoever, but then again its never been like that at villa with top players!!!

KEEP HIM IN THE RESERVES, are u **** mad!!! this guy is on big wages at villa, if he wants out, ship him on, open the door, no room for people who dont respect a club who has taken faith in u as an injured player!! I just hope the door breaks his ass on the way out!!

seriously this guy is better of gone than soaking up valuable wages and decreasing in value with less time on his contract, you would prefer a downing in reserves and us unable to sign someone else because hes taken the wages, are u serious thinking thats good business>

of course we are all jumpoing to newspaper reports and he could have no intention of leaving whatsoever, but then again its never been like that at villa with top players!!!

I agree. If you dont wanna play for villa then see you later!

N.B. as long as we get £20m for you.

KEEP HIM IN THE RESERVES, are u **** mad!!! this guy is on big wages at villa, if he wants out, ship him on, open the door, no room for people who dont respect a club who has taken faith in u as an injured player!!

then every single player who fancies getting out on the cheap knows all they need to do is hand us a transfer request

no thanks

it needs to be treated the very same way the barry thing was. if he's spoken to pool without our permission, **** him in with the stiffs. he'll come back and make an apology when he realises he's not getting his way and his international chances are quickly disappearing

I agree. If you dont wanna play for villa then see you later!

N.B. as long as we get £20m for you.

Exactly, its not just about loyalty its about business, it doesnt make any sense to keep an unhappy player or member of staff for that matter. But again the club must fight to get a realistic valuation of the player, which I would say would be 18m plus appearance fees in the region of 2 mill rising it to 20.

I do despise liverpool unsettling players to turn the clubs hand at selling them tho, not the first time is it.

But again the club must fight to get a realistic valuation of the player, which I would say would be 18m plus appearance fees in the region of 2 mill rising it to 20.

and if liverpool arent willing to offer us what we consider a realistic valuation what do we do? youre saying sell him since he doesnt want to be here, im saying sell him if we get the money we're looking for and not a penny less

Â